Thread: Freezes at splash screen

Cartoon-based life form mgrusin's Avatar

Freezes at splash screen

Latest SE 1.5.5, Windows XP pro with all the updates.

SE worked fine a few weeks back. I just went to start it and it freezes permanently at the splash screen.

This could be for a couple of reasons: one, I just updated my video driver. Another is when I used it a few weeks back, I was editing files over the network (slow), and now those files have been deleted (I know that SE likes to start where you left it, and this may be it being confused that it can't).

I've tried reinstalling the video driver, reinstalling DirectX, and uninstalling and reinstalling SE. It still freezes at the splash screen!

I remember a similar problems years back which I think went away when I updated WMP, but ?

There was a trick on VT for starting it up with default settings; is there a similar trick for SE?

Is there any way to get any sort of error message output on startup? (If not, consider this a feature request!)

I'm baffled and want to edit! Thanks for any tips. -MG.

Additional: In task manager, the frozen SE splash screen shows up as "not responding"
    Killing SE from task manager brings up the "send error info to Microsoft?" dialog.
    The error report contains files I'll be happy to provide if they would help.

Thanks for any assistance! -MG.

You stated that you've tried reinstalling the video driver. Have you tried rolling it back to the driver it had before? what about system restore? Go back to a date that you know it was working.

Thanks for the reply. I downgraded the video driver to an old, known working one. SE has the same behavior.

I have system restore turned off for performance problem reasons, so no restore points there.

Thanks! -MG

Argh! This is so frustrating. I'm trying to reinstall various drivers and things, and each time checking to see if SE will run, and it doesn't. I don't want to have to wipe the drive and install Windows all over again... Please SE, tell me what it is that you don't like!

Just Tryin' To Help...
    [QUOTE=(I know that SE likes to start where you left it, and this may be it being confused that it can't.)[/QUOTE]My only thought on the freeze at splash screen is to try "reset configs" (whatever it's called now) that you can access from Start > Programs > NewTek > SpeedEdit > Utilities ... but suspect I the problem is deeper than that. Short of reinstalling windows you might try reinstalling just SE first.

I don't think your old project could be the problem since it's never getting that far (should just load SpeedEDIT and show the files as missing - red borders), but before closing SE I always load a new, empty project - Ctrl-n - so it isn't trying to find a project or files that aren't there any more.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Hm. Nothing that looks like "reset configs" in my SE menu, just the program and docs. (You may be thinking of something on VT). A "reset configs" is exactly what I want though.

Sadly I uninstalled and reinstalled all of SpeedEDIT (and updates) but no joy. Re. the FAQ I made sure that "Windows prerequisites" was always checked. I was thinking of uninstalling, scrubbing the registry of all SE-related items I could find, and reinstalling, but I'm not hopeful.

Thanks for the suggestions, one of these things will surely fix it. Right? RIGHT? -MG

I think a little chat with Tech Support might be in order ....
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Just Tryin' To Help...
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrusin View Post
    Hm. Nothing that looks like "reset configs" in my SE menu, just the program and docs. (You may be thinking of something on VT). A "reset configs" is exactly what I want though.
    You're right Mike, it's "Clean SpeedEDIT Configuration.bat" located in the root of your SpeedEDIT installation directory; maybe something like C:\NewTek\SpeedEDIT. I should have looked when I posted the suggestion.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Don't apologize Scott, thank you! That's what I was hoping for, but unfortunately it didn't help.

I'm now wondering if this is a copy-protection issue; in all these uninstall / reinstalls, I haven't seen one "enter your key" type of dialog.

Latest steps (reboots between all steps and wherever advised):

Uninstall SpeedEDIT
    Uninstall SP3
    Reinstall SP3
    Reinstall SpeedEDIT (and 1.2, 1.5.1, and 1.5.5) - same problem.

Uninstall SpeedEDIT
    Uninstall video driver
    Install original video driver that came with the system
    Reinstall SpeedEDIT (and 1.2, 1.5.1, and 1.5.5) - same problem.

Dxdiag shows everything working fine.
    Oh, and I tried "clean SpeedEDIT configuration"... no joy.

Submitted bug report to Newtek. I'll give tech support a call.

Since I haven't been able to find the problem by random shooting, and SE isn't giving me any clues, I can't think of many other things to do except reinstall Windows, which as we all know is a giant PITA. (Plus, then I need to avoid whatever deadly update killed SE. I've had problems with System Restore in the past, but it looks like I should turn int on again).

Newtek, to make this easier on us in the future, please consider the following:

Better trapping, logging, and displaying of error conditions on startup.
    Give the splash screen a progress bar or (better) a status update line; if it freezes we'll know what stopped it.
    Make the splash screen NOT on-top-of-everything, and movable/minimizable. I've seen dialogs get hidden behind these things before.
    Clearly something is missing that SE needs to run, but the installation and program aren't reporting that. Make the installation check EVERYTHING that SE needs to run; if it's not there, install it or warn the user.
    I don't know if this is the problem, but if a windows component installation fails, try to warn the user.
    In Windows "add / remove programs", a "repair" option for SpeedEDIT would be appreciated.

I know this is Windows and we have to deal with a lot of nonsense, but it shouldn't be THIS hard... (/rant)

Thanks, and despite my griping, when SpeedEDIT works, it rocks... -MG.

Try uninstalling SE, then delete the Program Files/NewTek/SpeedEDIT folder.

Some user generated files will be left in there along with any third party files.

Then reinstall SE. Reinstalling one of the full versions should be enough to test with without updating to current until it after it runs.

Thanks for the suggestions, we are looking into solutions to make errors more diagnosable and more easily trapped.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

@ MG:

I am having the same problem- Did you ever find a cure?

Dynamic Video Productions
    Mount Laurel NJ

Sorry, I should have posted my eventual solution.

After trying everything else I could think of, I reinstalled windows, brought it up to date, reinstalled SE, and it worked beautifully.

I can only assume that something got damaged deep within windows, that none of my SE or driver reinstalls could fix.

It's more work than I wanted to do, but I'm back up and running, which is the important thing.

I came back to this thread because now it's crashing at the splash screen, but I'm quite sure that IS the quicktime bug, which can be fixed by downloading a patch from Newtek.

Thanks everyone, especially Newtek, for the assistance!