Thread: New DVE engine...and controls like that of XD300

Quote Originally Posted by radams View Post
    I'll stay quit for awhile now...
    Sorry it just had to come out
    No you won't - but that's ok, Ray - we love ya anyway
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Lightbulb

Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

SE is unique with its resolution independence.
    After this much time, that may no longer be so - but it certainly was, at the outset.
    Last edited by Quiet1onTheSet; 06-18-2009 at 06:16 PM.

At least Newtek has it's independence.

... and yes, I am using SE v1.5.5

...and Ray, thanks for your advice, I went out today and bought a few 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Drives. Even if I do a firmware update on the Barracuda ones that still work, I have totally lost confidence in Seagate.

Quote Originally Posted by donx View Post
    I have totally lost confidence in Seagate.
    That seems to have been happening to many people...and even dealers.

Hope they can get back to a better quality reliable system soon.
    Thou Even their support sucks these days...they used to be great.

Cheers,
    Ray Adams

Quote Originally Posted by donx View Post
    At least Newtek has it's independence.

... and yes, I am using SE v1.5.5

...and Ray, thanks for your advice, I went out today and bought a few 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Drives. Even if I do a firmware update on the Barracuda ones that still work, I have totally lost confidence in Seagate.
    A caution on the Western Digital drives,

If you plan on using them in a RAID...WD doesn't suggest using the black drives...due to a possible error handling etc....

They recommend their E (enterprise) series...which are about the same price points...but were designed for RAID.

Note: that I'm using the Hitachi as stand along drives due their throughput for application or OS drived vs the WD's..

Cheers,
    Ray Adams

Thanks for the warning about caviar black and raid. It helps me decide whether to raid or not to raid. I think I will go with 2 separate 1TB drives and walk on thin ice like I always have. Besides, the Dual bay external case I got doesn't seem to work for raid, even though it is supposed to.
    I will just develop a procedure for frequent Back-up of projects.

Toaster Oven
    You brought this up on another thread more recently, but this seems a better place for comment.
    Would you want the new core that eliminates these inheret issues and takes SE in the direction it should have been to start ?
    Yep, sure would love that.
    However, if it means another year or more waiting for it I MIGHT prefer getting some of the many features /capabilities long requested now.

I don't want to go thru 2.0, 2.1, 2.5 etc....to get to X.0 that includes the new core and changes
    and I hear ya. Now that 2 has been announced, I may sit out the upgrade myself.
    Ray, definitely understand what you're driving at. Now we have see if NT agrees and implements these "wow" things sooner than later. In the meantime they will see how many of us bite off on any "dink and dunk" changes.
    At this point NT has been focused on "live" - live switching, live (realtime) editing. The next phase needs to be more compositing and vast support of the vast file formats if they are going to keep up in the editing area

snip... if they are going to keep up in the editing area
    Why does this statement come out so often when it's obvious they don't have that concern? Seems to come out like a dare...
    Last edited by UnCommonGrafx; 10-01-2009 at 04:32 AM. Reason: And now to unsubscribe.

We Make Effective FX! DiscreetFX's Avatar
    To be brutally honest another thing that hurts SpeedEDIT sales is the overreaching DRM copy protection. Why not just make it USB key based like LightWave 3D? LW3D has sold over 100,000 copies so it's method of protection does not upset customers. A 30 day demo version of SE 2.0 would help too. Sony Vegas has done that for years.
    DiscreetFX Team
    http://www.discreetfx.com
    Making Your Digital Films More Effective!
    DVE's & LiveSets for VT[5], TriCasters & SpeedEDIT 2.

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    As for the 30 day demo, acutally EVERYONE on the PC side has done that for years. When I needed to move to a new NLE a few years ago for HDV support, I tried full 30 day demos of EDIUS 4 and Vegas 7 and did real HDV projects start to finish in each so I could decide which one was right for me. Adobe Premiere Pro also had a 30 day demo, though with some limitations, which was why I didn't try it.

The problem is in the way Newtek built SpeedEDIT, in terms of the licensing of codecs and components of it that they didn't build themselves. That makes it rather difficult for them to have a demo of it. I understand this, but frankly I think they should have thought of this when they designed it. I really don't see why anyone would buy a NLE that they can't test out themselves when everyone else lets you test before you buy.

As for "keeping up in the editor", Newtek has their own ideas of what they want in it, and that's that. It is up to the market to decide on the value of their choices in features and pricing. It's nothing for us to worry about. I've kept to my policy from pre-NAB, I'm not requesting any more new features till SE 2.0 is out, I don't see a point to putting in any requests till that point.

Oh, and yes, I'd most definitely prefer a USB dongle for copy protection.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioProd View Post
    Oh, and yes, I'd most definitely prefer a USB dongle for copy protection.
    I'd hope NewTek appreciate these virtues of equivalence and that future SE releases activate against the current registration system so that the supplied license code gets applied to that same physical dongle. Doing so in a way that is completely removed from the Windows OS version or sub-version. It seems rather tardy to me that an OS change invalidates the product ID/activation code you are presented with in so much as your unlock code becomes invalid. One deals with this by dual booting and being restricted to keeping SE on the older system or to call and explain this to customer services. Not doubting how good this works but it is clunky to need to, IMHO.

Nominating an already existing/installed LW, Aura or VT dongle ought to be a reasonable way to handle a purely software based rollout if the dongles themselves are prohibitive. One might judge this by observing how many seats have sold to customers with multiple products on their accounts.
    Last edited by rbartlett; 10-01-2009 at 04:31 PM.

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Well, honestly, other companies have very efficient automated on-line ways of moving licenses between computers or renewing them if there is a hardware change that invalidates the current license.

IF Newtek could implement something like that, that would be fine. But having to call customer service? That's not an efficient solution.

That's why a USB dongle seems like a better system than the current one to me.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12