Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lag when stopping - information needed

Exclamation Lag when stopping - information needed

This is an ongoing problem that honestly has me stumped in trying to reproduce it in house.

If you have this problem and are willing to work with me on a solution, please contact me directly at [email protected]

We realize this is an issue that needs to be resolved and would appreciate the help in narrowing down the circumstances or configurations that cause it in time for SpeedEDIT 2.0.

Thanks,
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Are you talking about the lag time from the time you press the space bar to the time it actually stops playing?
    Dynamic Video Productions
    Mount Laurel NJ

Yep, that's the one.

If it's barely noticeable, that's one thing, but I'm getting reports of it being literally seconds.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

Hi John,

i have never experienced a "Noticeable Lag". Just tried it on my laptop and hard to be precise but appear maybe a 10 ~ 14 frame lag, which some of may well be my hand eye coordination.

LAPTOP = HP with windows xp sp 2
    INTEL core 2 duo cpu
    t7100 @ 1.80GHZ
    1.79 ghz 0.99 gb ram

so as you see its nothing remotely fast or powerful. but speed edit runs fine for basics.

my workstation has never shown any "Lag" either.

anything you would like me to try be glad to.

Bob S

John, I'm pretty sure it's much more of a problem in Vista and mayve vista 64 specifically. I'm not smart enought to help you know why.

On our XP 32 machines we can pretty much hit the space bar at the end of a sentence or word, arrow left or right a couple frames and cut the clip.
    On our Vista Ultimate 64 machine it can take over a second and sometimes close to 2 seconds to pause the timeline. It seems worse if we have multiple clips or GFX on the timeline.
    I do have a copy running on a vista 32 laptop, but it's not one of our primary edit systems and it's on a TriCaster gig till tomorrow afternoon.

Anyone else running Vista 64 with SpeedEDIT that can testify how the space bar is working for you?
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ted View Post
    Anyone else running Vista 64 with SpeedEDIT that can testify how the space bar is working for you?
    Hi John,

Until I saw your post I always thought that the lag was SE "normal behaviour"

I opened a very simple project, a few clips (from 2 to 11 sec of length) rendered originally in LW as TGA, 1280 x 720, but rendered to SE HD to include them in the project, with a .WAV file as background music. And simple transitions between them.

The Space took from

00:00:05:08 to 00:00:05:24
    00:00:12:18 to 00:00:13:00
    00:00:16:14 to 00:00:17:00

Simply doing a test of start stop the project with the space bar. But those times vary sometimes to be much longer as you said if you repeat the process.

The project it's stored on an internal RAID 0 of 1Tb.

If I can help you, pm me.

David

My specs:
    Windows Vista 64 Bussines SP 2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT with 185.85 drivers
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz,
    8Gb RAM

David

I've been on Vista64 for my main systems since Vista was released, so I don't think it's the OS itself. I would have seen it already if that was the only thing required to reproduce it.

I am interested in the audio device and the driver version if you can get this information. A lot of SE timing is related to the audio device so this to me is a potential clue.

Some specific questions:
    1. Is it consistently lagging, every time or is it intermittent?
    2. What is the extent of the lag? (I'm seeing about 1/2 second above)
    3. How complex of a project does it take you to go above 1 second?
    4. Does a still image (not a sequence) do this too and to what extent?

I would try to start with the most simple project possible, a single still of some length and slowly get more complex with the project. Adding a wav file next, etc.

Thanks,
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

BTW, the 1/2 second lag is understandable due to buffering for A/V sync. We run about a 14 frame buffer to deal with consumer audio device timings that can be surprisingly bad.

If it becomes seconds, as I've heard reported, that's a whole new issue with a completely different solution.

I mention this because if it's only ever about 1/2 second, plus your reaction times, then I know where to look in the code already.

Thanks,
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Perkins View Post
    Some specific questions:
    1. Is it consistently lagging, every time or is it intermittent?
    At least in this computer with this project it is consistent.

2. What is the extent of the lag? (I'm seeing about 1/2 second above)
    About that time is right.

3. How complex of a project does it take you to go above 1 second?

4. Does a still image (not a sequence) do this too and to what extent?
    I would try to start with the most simple project possible, a single still of some length and slowly get more complex with the project. Adding a wav file next, etc.

Thanks,
    I need to do tests about that and I will post for you the results. I can use the renders from this same project, because I still have the TGA sequences.

BTW, the 1/2 second lag is understandable due to buffering for A/V sync. We run about a 14 frame buffer to deal with consumer audio device timings that can be surprisingly bad.

If it becomes seconds, as I've heard reported, that's a whole new issue with a completely different solution.

I mention this because if it's only ever about 1/2 second, plus your reaction times, then I know where to look in the code already.

Thanks,
    The audio device it is the one on the motherboard, an ASUS PK-5E WiFi-AP.

Name: SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio
    Brand: Analog Devices
    PNP Device ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_198B&SUBSYS_1043829B& REV_1004\4&B3DDC6A&0&0001
    Driver C:\windows\system32\drivers\adihdaud.sys
    (6.10.2.6280, 425,00 KB (435.200 bytes), 27/09/2008 11:27)

David

If anyone can confirm having significantly more than a 1/2 second delay (1 or more seconds), I would like to see what you are seeing when this happens.

Please do this for me:

I'd like a WMV captured with the screen recorder in Windows Media Encoder.
    Pan through the timeline if needed so that I can see what the project looks like in the timeline.
    Place a project marker somewhere in the timeline. (I don't need to see you make the marker, but I need to see the marker during the playback test to know when you hit stop)
    Start playing at least 5 seconds before the marker.
    Hit stop at the marker as close as you can time it.
    Do let me know if it was the Stop button or space bar that you hit and whether it matters.
    After the timeline stops, let the recorder record for a few extra seconds.

I'm mainly going to look at the timeline and time codes, so unless you feel it's something I need to see, I probably don't need the full screen.

Thanks,
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

I think I've got it, but the workaround for 1.x may not be pretty.

If you see this problem, please let me know:
    How many total CPU cores do you have?

and the results of this test:

With SpeedEDIT running, open the task manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc)
    On the Processes tab, select SpeedEDIT.exe
    Right-Click on SpeedEDIT.exe and select "Set Affinity..."
    Deselect all but one core and say OK.
    Try to reproduce the delay when stopping.

If this works, verify that enabling one more core at a time makes the issue progressively worse.

I think it's a threading issue gone crazy, but I want to be certain.

Thanks,
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

This may throw a monkey wrench into that theory:

I'm running SE 1.5.5 on Windows XP 64 running a AMD Phenom Quad Core processor. 6GB RAM. Motherboard sound. G-Force graphics card.

I don't experience any spacebar start/stop delay issues other than the normal split second delay. I've had some heavy multi-layered projects without issues, as well.

Maybe it's because it's XP instead of Vista? Or maybe AMD handles threading differently than Intel? I have no idea, but multiple cores don't cause me an issue.

I'm running Vista 64bit - I can't replicate the problem. Dropping down to on core may make things slightly more consistent, but I typically get a stop within 1/2 to 2/4 second anyway without doing that - very occasionally a couple seconds.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Between 1/2 to 2/4? Wow, you're precise Steve

Seriously, even on systems that "didn't show" the problem, it's making a difference as far as I can tell, especially if you put down a marker and try to stop there.

On an 8 core system here I'm sometimes getting just short of 10 seconds of delay with all 8 enabled.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

Hahahha - It should read "within 1/2 to 3/4 ..."
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast