Thread: ScreamerNet 64X on XP 32X

ScreamerNet 64X on XP 32X

Hi everybody.

Did someone knows if i can use Xeon Quadcores 64bit processor computers runing Win XP 32X. in my 64 bit render farm?

The thing is that im already running 9 nodes of Lightwave ScreamerNet 64X in 9 Vista 64X computers with Xeon quadcore processors. and i would like to use another 4 machines with 64bit processors but running XP 32X, im also concerned if the 32bit nodes can load the 64bit plugins.

Thanks.
    Last edited by saiki; 06-01-2009 at 02:01 AM.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    If you're running a 32-bit OS then you can only run 32-bit applications.
    On 64-bit OS you can run both.

So no, you can't. If you have the same plugin as 32-bit then you might be able to add a 32-bit LW to your render controller for those machines. However, that depends on whether your render controller allows for it. You should also test to see if the 32-bit gives you identical results to 64-bit LW.

Cheers,
    Mike

Thanks, lightwolf, i suppoussed im not going to have any help from those XP 32X machines.

However, i have eleven Vista 64X machines, but i can only use ten of them, because when i try to run the eleven node, a pop up appears telling me that a limit of connection with the host computer already exists.

I think this have to concern to some administrator permissions, but im not really good with network connections.

Did you know how i can increase the limit of connections?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by saiki; 06-01-2009 at 11:48 AM.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saiki View Post
    Did you know how i can increase the limit of connections?
    You can't. Non-server versions of Windows have a 10 machine connection limit for file sharing.
    To get around it, either get a windows server (expensive), a Linux box or a standalone NAS box to render to (which is probably the easiest way).

Cheers,
    Mike

Uf, well im going to split my renders in order to take advantage of that machine.

Thanks for the advice.

Check the speed of each computer, some of your old boxes may not be worth the hassle for a few extra Ghz.

It may be more economical to drop a couple of your slow boxes and get a few bare bones i7 920s, Anandtech have had a look at a MSI $169 motherboard. You don’t need anything flash, as you really only need the Ghz.

Check out http://www.3dspeedmachine.com/?page=3&scene=39 for some relative speeds of CPUs.