Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody using Hackintosh Macs?

Newbie Member

Anybody using Hackintosh Macs?

Just curious. I'm thinking about building one and wondered if anybody has any experience w/LW on them. I'd welcome any hardware advice as well. Love Macs but I just can't keep up with the price. I could build a $3500 Mac for about $1200 going this route from what I've heard. I'm just wondering if anybody here has and if they have any experiences or advice they'd like to share.
    2X2GB G5
    2.5GB RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600XT

I have not heard much on that front, but I'll be curious to see how it works out for you and how all the software runs, etc. Good luck!

Sinner Saved by Grace Larry_g1s's Avatar
    Never even heard of this. I'd be curious too.
    Larry Vasquez | Genesis One Studios | company showreel

Someday, I will be a CG animator (student at iAnimate.net).

Yeah, I haven't done it myself but have heard favorable things including their ability to handle pretty strenuous loads. Of course I have no way to back up that claim. I would be worried about the need to keep track of the creative work-arounds at each os update.

How long before Apple just makes the os an open source project? They're not making their money off of the os at this point. I guess they like the control over hardware and os, but from my experience they still break down just like other hardware. Their marketing would rather you buy the latest and greatest long before the old system goes under anyway.

I'd be interested to heard your progress as well. Good luck!

You should be able to find step-by-step instructions pretty easily. Maybe Lifehacker?

I've got Leopard 10.5.6 (IPC distribution) working on my Dell 620 notebook and desktop at home. After applying the USB, Sound, and wireless net patches, it's works great. Unfortunately I haven't been able to make the Sentinel driver work and I haven't found anyone who's gotten it to work.

But other than that, it works great. I haven't had a problem yet. Even Windows VM's work just as fast if not faster than running it natively.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

I have skimmed articles talking about hackintosh performance and what I have seen, tho not definitive, shows that the hackintosh does not perform well compared to the apple-made machine which is its closest counterpart.

IOW, you might build a home-brew mac pro, but your results will be closer to that of the high-end iMac.

I wouldn't expect Apple to make their OS open source. I can't vouch whether they rake in a lot of dough from the OS sales themselves or not, but think about it! They want you to buy THEIR hardware, right? What better enticement than an OS that wipes the floor with every other OS out there?

As far as most people are concerned, all computers are about equal. People keen on bottom price go that route and get what they pay for.

People who want something better are not going to simply by a more expensive ordinary box; they're going to spend extra to get something fundamentally better.

And not really that MUCH extra, either...there are loads of articles online which blow away this fable that you pay through the eye to get a computer with an apple on the side, but when you compare what you actually GET with that purchase, compared to extra things you have to buy to get the "cheaper" PC comparably configured, the PC comes out embarassingly more expensive.

Plus, the user experience is..uh..craptastic.

but we mac users/fans all know that, which is why we're here, eh?

J
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-29-2009 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to make the Sentinel driver work and I haven't found anyone who's gotten it to work.
    In other words, Hackintosh = *No* Lightwave
    That's too bad, would be a nice option.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    In other words, Hackintosh = *No* Lightwave
    That's too bad, would be a nice option.
    Pretty much. It will eventually come around.

And the performance is just fine btw. I borrowed one of my collegues Mac Pro systems and mine beats it in some things and not in others. The graphics acceleration is WAY better on mine than the Mac and anything involving raw calculations beats the snot out of the Mac. But for some reason the VM switching, iLife stuff and some apps really scream on the Mac while mine is acceptable, just not quite as reactive.

I got my homebrew machine running Leopard just fine. Runs without a hitch. But I didn't really need it for anything, since I've got a Macbook Pro anyway.
    Are my spline guides showing?

Quote Originally Posted by aloysius1001 View Post
    I could build a $3500 Mac for about $1200 going this route from what I've heard.
    ahhh ...NO YOU CAN'T

Why is it not the same. Apple writes there own OS and builds there own boxes. So things will always run way smoother than anything on any PC.
    They relies updates for apps and products that are all tuned for each outer.

... and yes just to prove your point you can go to the morgue and pick up some body parts build a zombie and give it life but it wont be quite the same.

///

Quote Originally Posted by G M D THREE View Post
    ahhh ...NO YOU CAN'T

Why is it not the same. Apple writes there own OS and builds there own boxes. So things will always run way smoother than anything on any PC.
    They relies updates for apps and products that are all tuned for each outer.

... and yes just to prove your point you can go to the morgue and pick up some body parts build a zombie and give it life but it wont be quite the same.
    I'm sure there are some little disadvantages but nothing worth the $2300 / 66% price difference!
    I think what you're getting for the extra money is not having to shop around for parts, having to build it yourself, and the warranty.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    I'm sure there are some little disadvantages but nothing worth the $2300 / 66% price difference!
    I think what you're getting for the extra money is not having to shop around for parts, having to build it yourself, and the warranty.
    Again you get what you paid for.

You hack a application to run somewhere, where its not supposed to, you deal mostly with few minor problems if any at all. You hack a whole OS, you are in it for a treat. So if this is your hobby, than knock yourself out, overclock your PC with liquid nitrogen for what I care, have fun. If you are planing to use your machine for professional work, and make a living with it. Than you will pay way more than the few bucks you saved building a crapentosh.

A carpenter once told me: being cheep and not buying the tools you need, you end up paying for it, without even getting to use them.

///

Also, keep in mind that the Mac Pro is actually a pretty good deal for an eight core workstation.

You hack a application to run somewhere, where its not supposed to, you deal mostly with few minor problems if any at all. You hack a whole OS, you are in it for a treat. So if this is your hobby, than knock yourself out, overclock your PC with liquid nitrogen for what I care, have fun. If you are planing to use your machine for professional work, and make a living with it. Than you will pay way more than the few bucks you saved building a crapentosh.
    Eh, if you've got the right hardware, a Hackintosh will be just as stable as an Apple Mac.
    Are my spline guides showing?

Running iPC 10.5.6 here almost perfect...LW can only run in discovery mode, its a little annoying having to boot and run it in windows...vmware fusion runs it ok, buth only with 2 of my 4 cores.
    I have no complaints about it.
    Last edited by caesar; 05-30-2009 at 11:07 AM.
    Moro num pais tropical...
    Discerne.com - personal blog

Quote Originally Posted by G M D THREE View Post
    You hack a application to run somewhere, where its not supposed to, ...
    Pffft. And what are you talking about? The version of Leopard I'm running WAS built for the Intel based systems. The only thing that's really hacked is the install and maybe a couple of tweaked drivers. I also have a copy of a "generic" version of Leopard that Dell is currently testing on their Mini 9's. It runs flawlessly as it soon will in production I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Eh, if you've got the right hardware, a Hackintosh will be just as stable as an Apple Mac.
    Word.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast