Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to apply a normal map in the node editor?

Question How to apply a normal map in the node editor?

I was just wondering how you apply a normal map in the node editor?

Do you load the normal map into an image node and run the color output into normal input on the surface? That didn't seem correct?

I thought it had something to do with the spot info node and maybe a vector multiply node but I still can't figure out how to plug the actual normal map into something? Help...

Thanks!

AddNode/2dTexture/\NormalMap

Open NormalMap Node, make sure the correct UVMap is assigned and the image has the correct NormalMap.PSD
    Connected the Normal of the NormalMap Node to the Normal of the Surface Node.

Last edited by sculptactive; 05-27-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Thx Mate. I can't believe I didn't see the 'normal map' node! Doh!!

I've done this, but the normal doesn't seem to be working. Do I have to use something in the renderer to enable the normal map?

Quote Originally Posted by Pakorn1 View Post
    I've done this, but the normal doesn't seem to be working. Do I have to use something in the renderer to enable the normal map?
    Post a screen shot of your node network.
    Are my spline guides showing?

Just covering all the basics. You you have Subpatch turned on and set to a high level, as well as the Subdivision set to first?

Yep subpatch is on, how do I set it to a higher level though? All I know is to hit Tab in Modeler to enable it, I don't know how to change the settings though.

Layout/Objects/Properties/... Render SubPatch.

Leave the default Display SubPatch at 3

Try setting the Render SubPatch to 10. Do a test render, then set higher if your setup can take it.

So I've tried cranking it to 15 and I'm not noticing any difference at all - model looks the same, and there's no depth in the texture. I must be missing something else...

Do you really need a higher subdivision level for a normal map? it's not a displacement map. Just asking as I didn't think you did need a high subd level for a normal map to work.

Kind of what I thought too but I don't know - my Node editor is correct, right? Do I have to enable a Normal Shader or something? Or use a certain type of renderer?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffrySG View Post
    Do you really need a higher subdivision level for a normal map? it's not a displacement map. Just asking as I didn't think you did need a high subd level for a normal map to work.
    You are right. Working on a project and answering questions at the sametime hence the confustion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakorn1 View Post
    Kind of what I thought too but I don't know - my Node editor is correct, right? Do I have to enable a Normal Shader or something? Or use a certain type of renderer?
    That's exactly how I have mine set up and it works fine. Just make sure that you have the correct UV map applied. Not sure what else it could be. Maybe try turning up the amplitude of the normal map?

Maybe post a quick render with the normal map and one without? Maybe it is working but it's subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by sculptactive View Post
    You are right. Working on a project and answering questions at the sametime hence the confustion.
    No worries.

If you add a Scalar node to the Amplitude of the normal Map and crank the Scaler up, is there any change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast