Thread: Sound offset

Sound offset

Hello!
    I'm testing a demo of speededit. I changed the speed of a clip for about 20 sec and the sound is totaly off as if it had not been sped up with the video.(all Pal DV) I try to play and to render the clip... same issue.
    . Is this an issue of the demo beeing limited to some feature, is It a bug? Did I miss something?

Thank you!

Hello!? Anybody here? This is a very serious issue!!! When I speed up the clip (200%) the audio get off sync! I mean when I'm back to 100% speed, audio is off sync until the end of the comp! No one experienced this yet?

I'm not quite sure which method you have used to change speed, or what you were hoping the audio would do. In my version (which unfortunately is different than yours), when I stretch a video clip (ALT+drag in/out edge on the timeline), the audio is stretched to match.

The result, mind you, is that the pitch falls (or rises) accordingly, so someone with a normal voice sounds rather like Darth Vader. (I think some software does some resampling or interpolation to manage this without that happening.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, Steve... But there is no demo of SpeedEDIT available.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioProd View Post
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, Steve... But there is no demo of SpeedEDIT available.
    Heh-heh! >COUGH!<

Aside from that glaring observeration, Scorp, I'm also curious about just what version number for SpeedEDIT the original poster (marchermitte) is working with - it being imagined by Steve to be, um -- "unfortunately, different" from the one he's working with.
    Last edited by Quiet1onTheSet; 05-26-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet1onTheSet View Post
    it being imagined by Steve to be, um -- "unfortunately, different" from the one he's working with.
    Everyone's is 'unfortunately different' from mine, Peter.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioProd View Post
    I chose to overlook that remark, since I can think of a couple of meanings for it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Steve,

How is your "version" workin???? (hopeful smile)

bob

I own video toaster 1 (NT). That came with speed razor which I'm still using for my edits. (very few edit jobs until now, so that was far enough for me!)
    I need a new egiting software and a friend working at freestudio (geneva) gave me the installer for speededit. It works 15 days without the license which is far enough for me to figure out if I want to buy It or not. I'm a registered lightwave user, my real name is shown in this forum.
    This beeing said I was using the layer property / speed in the control tree to change the clip speed, not the alt/drag. So you answered my question.
    So far I like speededit. The 1rst hour was weird because like most people I tend to use the soft first and check the doc afterward when a problem arises. Once you're used to the interface It's pretty cool. I tested only a pal DV footage ... how does It behave with multi res clips? (like HD/ HDV , pal / ntsc etc)

Thank you!

[QUOTE=marchermitte;887137]...It's pretty cool. I tested only a pal DV footage ... how does It behave with multi res clips? (like HD/ HDV , pal / ntsc etc)

Well, given that it permits multiple formats to be inserted into the timeline/storyboard, for your editing pleasure, within the same project, it works wonderfully, provided those codecs work within SpeedEDIT to begin with.

There may be some instances where you might have a video file written in a -- shall we say, "foreign" codec, that refuses to load into the timeline, only to discover that changing the extension in a filename, to .avi, or what-have-you, might very well allow the file to work for you within SpeedEDIT.

I'm pretty much sold about SE. I just found out about the storyboard feature... very handy and fast!
    Coming back to my first question, I didn't explain very well the trouble with the sound: It's not about speeding up a clip but about creating a "time warp", a curve in the layer speed property (control tree). I get a serious offset between the sound and the video after the clip comes back to 100% speed. I imagine I could "razor" the clip just before and after the speed keys, but this is a workaround.
    Can anyone confirm I'm right on this or did I do something stupid?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by marchermitte View Post
    I'm pretty much sold about SE. I just found out about the storyboard feature... very handy and fast!
    [After "warping" the speed via Control Tree, I get a serious offset between the sound and the video after the clip comes back to 100% speed. I imagine I could "razor" the clip just before and after the speed keys, but this is a workaround.
    Can anyone confirm I'm right on this or did I do something stupid?

Thank you!
    Perhaps you might be sure to sync I.e., "Lock" the video to its companion audio and then you might no longer have that drift.

Yes, I think you're right. I noticed that earlier today but had no time to play with SE. I'll check that tomorrow...

Thank you!