Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new website

My new website

I have redone my website, I keep it pretty simple. That's to let the artwork speak for itself.

http://www.shrox.com

A cool new forum section might be a website review, it could be for stuff just like this.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

your car shoots are simply great!!!
    My Gallery here
    And here are some videos

Love the Zombie music in the car sequence (I also like your new title under your avatar! )!

All around your portfolio is great! Too bad the idiot at your former place of employment let you slip away.

-Keith
    When you know you're a "cup half-full" kind of guy:

"Sir; they've got us surrounded!"

"Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"

Hey Shrox, very nice site. Why the blue AND red link selections?

$95.00 per hour, eh!! Man, I wish I COULD charge that much! My geographic area doesn't support that much, but I sure wish it did!!

Let's hope the economy rebounds. My clients cut way back with the project work. Hopefully things will improve after Summer though.

Good to see you back in the states and rebounding yourself.

Out of your stills, my favorite is the eight ball, with the space station a very close second. Awesome stuff. Agreed with what James said. His loss. Somebody will scoop you up, or you'll start your own company and that guy will still be dreaming of his "big" movie...

Blog Entries
    really cool
    Intel Core i7-980, OC 4.7ghz water cooled.
    Gigabyte x58-UD3R with an Intell SSD 180GIG
    RamCorsair-DDR3-1600-32GIG
    Nvidia Titan Z, x 2 And 1 GTX-1080 by Gigabyte.
    4xEnterprise/WDVelociRaptor®300gig

Can I be honest? I think you're website design doesn't reflect your skills in LightWave, looks too web 1.0 to me. Sorry, but it might put some people off, which is a shame because your LightWave work is sooooo much more professional.

(Love the car shot, really well done that).
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

I'd have to agree with Matt. The content is very nice, but the presentation could use a little work.

But without changing the formatting, you might want to provide a means to click on your artwork to see a bigger version. I'm sure potential clients want to see as much detail as possible.

And I've seen the 70's car movie about 20 times and I still click on it every time I see it.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

I was hoping for some honest comments, I always have a hard time doing something for myself. Does it need to be more "graphical"?
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

I think what Matt was referring to was to make it a little more "today" style and not so much straight minimal HTML. Being in the media business your website should reflect your ability to impress your viewers whether or not you do it yourself or have it created by a professional web developer. I know you're currently looking for work and the DIY method would better suit you at the moment, but as many have stated in the past... if it comes down to having a not-so-hot website vs. none at all, you are always better off with none at all.

I think we've hashed this subject a few times around here but I'll mention a few things again.

- Templates are a good idea, even if you have to steal them from other sites and make them your own.

- Research research research... Go grab some tips on using some JS plugins or even some Flash if you have to as long as you don't "gadget" it to death

- Make it clean and clear with an obvious means to navigate (which you have already done - just needs to be in a better format).

- Being an artist, almost everything should be graphical (i.e. navigation icons, titles, etc...). But again... keep it simple and clean. You want your vistors to pay more attention to your work than the site itself.

- Provide a small dose of wow factor to the site without destracting the visitor from the subject at hand.. YOUR work.

- Be aware of some basic standards for implementing successful sites such as target screen width, optimizing graphics, color schems and font sizes, etc... Super high contrast sites tend to be a bit annoying. Black backgrounds are hard to pull off unless your content and navigation system covers a majority of it.

I'm sure you can get a ton of tips from this forum alone. There are quite a few forum users that have done some wonderful work around here. Go visit some fo their sites and get some ideas. Go ask about plugins they've used, what their ISP requirements are, etc...

And like I said before, your content is great, you just need a better way to present it.
    Last edited by Hopper; 05-14-2009 at 09:49 PM.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

I think dumping the text type menus and going with more of graphical menu would do wonders. I agree your images are superb. I don't think you need you need to go buy a template though, but making all the pages match will help. Think of it like a power point presentation. Each page much have a matching theme.
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

I have to agree with Matt and Hopper. Very nice content, but overall look of the site s*cks (sorry). Hopper gave some very good ideas there.

This is a good place to start for inspiration:

http://www.coolhomepages.com/
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Putting your hourly rate so amidst notions of "for the love of art" ( the last page) to me is ambivalent.

Maybe you need to "trade as" and put the rate on a separate page?

Love your work!

m
    Last edited by meshpig; 05-15-2009 at 05:03 AM.

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    Can I be honest?

http://www.shrox.com/art.html

I wish I could charge $95 for that level of work. I have no doubt that you've done some good stuff otherwise you wouldn't be finding work or able to charge so much but, honestly, that page screams early 90's fumblings with poser and bryce.

If I was a potential employer I'd want to know what you can offer artistically over a student on minimum wage...Looking at that page, I can see some potential in the 8-ball and space station but nothing that would make me look twice.

'Art has always been in life. My mother was an artist, as are both my sisters. I have been doing computer graphics and 3D animation before you could go to school for it! That's almost 20 years.'

If you're going to say that, back it up with something. Show us that you've progressed through those 20yrs, not learned something within the first 5 and then got stuck in a rut for 15. Experience holds a lot of weight but not if you haven't got anything to show for it.

Sorry to be so honest but you're either charging waaay more than you're worth or you're not showing what you can really do...I think that it's the latter.

[EDIT] I'll just add that I only had a quick look, these are first impressions acting like a potential employer rather than a fellow LW'er or anything else. I wasn't compelled to dig deeper, look at the showreel or anything else, although I probably will later.
    Last edited by biliousfrog; 05-15-2009 at 07:19 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast