Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to render like Maxwell Render

I want to render like Maxwell Render

I have accepted a private competition to beat a friend who uses Maxwell Render. I have openly told him Lightwave 9.6 can create the same renders if not better.

In vain or not, I have challenged him. I now need to learn how to use Lightwave better to create interiors at a level far beyond what I am creating now. My interiors are looking terrible and flat at the moment.

Can anyone help with tutorials, sites or anything that will aid me in the whupping?

Thanks all.
    "Some believe The World was made in 6 days - Mine took 2 days, 6 hours, 25 minutes on four machines and submitted within the deadline..."

www.crayon.net.au
    www.filmdesigner.com

Can't go far wrong with this pretty comprehensive guide here: http://www.except.nl/lightwave/Radio...de95/index.htm

Written for 9.5, but I'll be surprised if it doesn't help you understand a whole lot more about radiosity solutions.

Hope that helps.

--
    flakester

The best thing to compete with Maxwell will be Kray, just take a look at the forum at http://www.kraytracing.com/forum/
    ingo erik moltzen - virtual image maker --- www.im-graphics.com

For true realism, you won't beat Maxwell.

For render time with _acceptable_ / _passable_ as real, you can.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    Maxwell is physically accurate where as Lightwave is a brute force solution so it will be partly down to you to create the realistic lighting. Don't expect to just put an emissive object in a room and let Lightwave do all the work...it works for Maxwell but not Lightwave, they're two very different renderers. It's a trade off between accuracy and speed, Maxwell has the first and Lightwave has the second.

The best thing to compete with Maxwell would be Fry, it's the same type of renderer (and more user friendly IMO)...but it wouldn't be a test of Lightwave's renderer then would it.

Scene setup will help you greatly .. go for HDRI lighting and reflections, blurred reflections, and Occlusion pass etc.

Also, try to compose and select the positioning, materials and objects carefully to allow for some subtle DOF.

If you want it to be 'all LW' use Exception's old trick - tacke your rendered image, map it to a poly or set as background, then re render with all post-effects - vignetting, corona, virtual darkroom, etc. etc.

Much faster and much more control

Now go get 'em tiger (good luck...).
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

You know I hate to break it to you; but the true talent lies in the artist, not the software.
    Your competition will only show the strengths and weaknesses of your skills, not the 3d renderer.

scene set-up as stated will be your focus. here a rather long discussion on different approaches for interior lighting with some pretty good results:

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25361

good luck
    We are pirates, we are artists...

Blog

Not doing nothing.... Tranimatronic's Avatar
    My biggest tip would be - put a strong light in somewhere and add the bloom shader. I do most of my kitchen interiors as early morning type lighting. If you can work from a photo do so - try to add some of the mistakes added by poor photography that people are used to seeing (like the bloom). Otherwise what Jockomo said.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tranimatronic View Post
    My biggest tip would be - put a strong light in somewhere and add the bloom shader.
    I add bloom in Photoshop, copy the layer, crunch the histogram down to concentrate on the highlights, blur it, set the layer to screen mode, and adjust the transparency until it looks right.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Also, show us what you have so far and we'll point you in the right direction.

But I agree with everything said here, mostly it's about the user, not the software.
    // To draw is to think and discover.

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranimatronic View Post
    try to add some of the mistakes added by poor photography that people are used to seeing (like the bloom).
    Unfortunately, that just makes images look more CG because professional photographers would try anything to reduce those defects such as lens flares, chromatic aberration, depth of field, noise etc. You're confusing what you perceive as photo-real with real photo's...it's a common mistake.

...that's not to say that those effects shouldn't be used, they have their place. If you want to replicate a bad or ameteur photo those effects can increase the realism. Sometimes you need to show people what they expect rather than what they would really see. The problem is that, for architectural and product work, you're competing with professional photographers.

I'd strongly recomend reading some architectural photography books and learning about their techniques. The photo's are usually pin-sharp with good contrast, little or no noise and perfect exposure.

Flatness can be remedied usually with good lighting, specular, reflection and color composition. show us some screen shots.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Not doing nothing.... Tranimatronic's Avatar
    biliousfrog - yeah - but as you already mentioned Maxwell does the physically accurate stuff - wouldnt you be better trying to add photographic mistakes the people are used to seeing ? Maybe go for this kind of feel instead of trying to fight fire with fire.

-If reality is the goal then a good understanding of a linear gamma workflow is a big help.

-Also, using the Energy Conservative material nodes will help take the guess work out of it and keep things fairly accurate (technically).

-Almost every material has some degree of Fresnel or glancing angle effects (colour shift and/or increased diffusion).

-Don't use CG lights, use luminous objects and rely on blurry reflections instead of speculars. Correcting for gamma (mentioned above) with this method is quite important to get the correct light fall-off.

- Don't use ambient occlusion or any baked on lighting. Rely on Monte Carlo GI alone.

It'll be a beast of a render but it'll be getting a lot closer to what Maxwell is doing under the hood. Good luck.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast