Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Personal venting.. ugh.. passwords..

Personal venting.. ugh.. passwords..

hey all,

well, i am thoroughly frustrated with the internet haha i have signed up for many sites, everything from forums to shopping, etc and every one involves some type of password. now, it appears the new thing is the "strength" of your password. i went from having a simple password that i could remember to having to add capital letters, lower case letters, numbers and a symbol.. seriously? i'm all for privacy and everything, but it would be a lot easier if all sites would allow all characters. i make a password for one place that has all of the above and want to use it somewhere else but that site doesnt allow symbols.. so now i have a list of sites and passwords and i hate having that kind of information written down. what do you all do to keep track? i was thinking of making a spreadsheet and some sort of encrypting, but i would have to learn that because i know nothing of it haha sorry for the vent.

adam

Well, password 'strength' is nothing new. It's just that sites are now figuring out that people are lazy and put in 'convenient' passwords which then leads to accounts getting hacked which then requires more support and hassle for the vendor. It's actually cost effective for them and better for you. I know keeping passwords can be a pain but you should simply get used to it. If you are using the same password for multiple sites, you shouldn't. It's just common sense. A standard dictionary hack will break about 85% of web site passwords. And believe me .. it's soooooooo easy to do. I used to do it for a living (on the right side of the law that is - military contracts).

If you feel more comfortable using the same password, then use a derivation of it for each site using the site name for part of the password. That way you will always know what your password is, yet it will be different for every site.
    Last edited by Hopper; 05-06-2009 at 07:43 PM.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

I use Roboform which I purchased several years ago. They used to have a free limited version -- don't know if that still exists.

Password strength has always been a concern.

My own rant is product serial numbers that use o and 0, i and l, in a font that makes them look nearly identical. Or serial numbers that are written in the xxxx-yyyy.... format but don't tell you to leave out the hyphen until you finish entering the whole string..

Then there's those bot screeners, some that use such warped characters you have to guess anyway. Or the sites where you enter everything but miss one required field and you get "please enter the xxx field." Then you notice they not only cleared the password field (which is proper) but they cleared out everything else!

I tried to register on a website the other day and it had the normal blank box for the password. There was no text or anything to click to give the password limits. So I entered a six digit password and got the "must be a minimum of 8 characters. Okay, I entered an 8 character password and got a "must contain a mixture of letters and numbers." So I entered a mixture and got a "at least one character must be uppercase." And this was a C# programming site that was supposed to make my coding efforts more efficient!
    Last edited by jaf; 05-06-2009 at 07:55 PM.
    16aug19: Lightwave 2019.1 Build 3127, win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v431.60 (24jul19)

Blog Entries
    You could just buy one of those usb things that let you enter one password. but will store complex passwords for everything you tie the usb to.

it's really not a gigantic problem, it's just going through the whole "Forgot Password" stuff was irritating me there for a sec haha it's really only a problem with sites i only use a few times a year, such as my web hosting company. i only really update my site a few times a year and it threw me for a loop.

This is a great site that can help out sometimes with forced registration, not for what you are looking for but nevertheless:

bugmenot.com
    Find and share logins for websites that make you register.

Yeah, the whole warped letter thing just chaps my ***. Half the time, I can't read them anyway. And then, like you said, it gives you shlt about entering it in wrong and puts you back to a half filled out form.

I just don't see how these developers can not see the obvious when it comes to spammers that try to auto-register. We modified our forum software to simply read an OnKeyPress event in the password field. Bots can't create and send a fake key press event. The form won't post until the event ocurrs. We have yet to have a single spam message.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

I need to copy two pages of login/password combinations every time I get a new sketchbook. Then I eat the last two pages of the old sketch book.
    Adam Martin
    my portfolio
    Mac Pro 2x3Ghz Dual-Core Intel | 8 Gb RAM | OS 10.6.8 | ATI Radeon X1900 XT

Use Fire Fox it will remember your passwords and has an option for a master password.
    Daniel Kaiser

"A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and never acceptable." Robert Fripp

AMD Phenom II x6 3.2
    Win 7 Pro x64
    8gig Ram
    Nvidia 640 GT 2Gb
    LW 11 x64

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    these password strength things really work by looking at how random the set of characters is... but thats only one way to gague password strength...

for strong pass' which will work on any site, its best to stick to regular letters, but use combinations or strings of words especialy if they have no meaning... such as myhouseisabutter, or ieatconespeakers, etc
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

thanks everyone for all the info. i have found that openoffice (and probably any decent spreadsheet program) has the option to save with a password, so i will probably be logging all of mine in a spreadsheet and then i will only need one to get into them. i mean most of them really are not important unless you want to hack my accoung with the post office and go on a mailing spree haha

Dude, I know how you feel!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

I had exaclty same problems. Although I remember password for the websites that I use daily, I still have too many accounts at too many websites, different passwords registered with different usernames and emails etc. Username/password recovery works when needed but it is annoyance.

I usually have several levels of passwords (with derivations) with their strength depending on the criticality of the information contained on the website where I have the account. My NT forum password is easy to crack (don't you dare! ) and my paypal account is 20 meaningless random characters.

I used to keep the less used password in a simple txt file. Then I briefly moved to some password managers. I needed a decent search capability and better usability tailored to my needs and I ended up writting my own tiny web application that is always available online. I use it to store not only passwords, but also phone numbers, adresses, links, pieces of information etc. It can optionally encrypt the data being stored too (I don't trust my ISP ) and the encryption, if selected, happens in the browser and no clear data is being transfered.

Its not perfect but works for me and I do not have to remember to keep the password file with me all the time.

What's more annoying is when you decide upon a really strong one with numbers and everything in it, then you come to a site that has a maximum of 8 characters only!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What's more annoying is when you decide upon a really strong one with numbers and everything in it, then you come to a site that has a maximum of 8 characters only!
    that was the major problem was that some accept numbers and symbols and other dont

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast