Thread: Live Spline Patch Plugin?

Question Live Spline Patch Plugin?

Anyone know of a plugin that creates live spline patches (using LightWave's internal command)?

Essentially so you don't have to commit only to find you've got the settings the wrong way around!

When I say live I don't mean like TrueArt's EasySpline plugin, I mean so as you change the 'Perpendicular' and 'Parallel' segments it shows in realtime.

I could have a go at doing this myself in LScript (assuming a Spline Patch command exists) but thought I'd ask in case one exists.

Already checked Flay, didn't find anything.

Cheers
    Matt
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

I thought there was a realtime live update for this with
    true arts modeling pack?

Anyway, I havenīt seen anything like it anywere for lightwave.
    Maybe there was such a tool as a plugin some time ago called Patchit
    by hurleyworks, but not sure if it ever saw a release date and it seems
    to be gone now.

And hereīs where my vote comes for a true nurbs system in Lightwave with
    full realtime surface skinning and high curve accuracy for rapid prototyping, you know what..thereīs quite a big market out there for this and Newtek doesnīt seem to have tapped in to it yet.

Michael

TrueArt Support
    Think about it for a while- with Auto Patcher, Sub-Patches and Catmull-Clark sub-d you don't have separated segments for perpendicular or parallel edges, too. There is just one segment value for all edges. Why? Because plug-in doesn't and can't understand what is perpendicular or parallel. You give information what should be treat as perpendicular/parallel by order in which curves are selected. Otherwise, it's floating depending on from which side object is seen. Custom segments on edges in theory could be added to vmap that's attached to polygon (like edge weights or discontinuous UVs). But it will work as "good" as Catmull-Clark sub-d edge weighting- any change to splines and/or points will destroy carefully entered segments.

Matt,
    I cannot more recommend Sensei's tool: EasySpline. (Forgive me if the name isn't correct.)
    It is the most superior spline tool available for LW. It is awfully sexy to work with. See some lines, move them. See the skin adapt. Put a dimple in. Wipe away the tear...
    Move on and get your work done.
    I'm wagering that you can get what you want out of the tool. Clarify your need so the challenge can be taken by sensei or others who believe they can get what you need from splines out of easyspline.

You have a demo of it, Sensei?

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I thought there was a realtime live update for this with
    true arts modeling pack?
    That's exactly EasySpline http://www.easyspline.com that Matt doesn't want..

Anyway, I havenīt seen anything like it anywere for lightwave.
    Maybe there was such a tool as a plugin some time ago called Patchit
    by hurleyworks, but not sure if it ever saw a release date and it seems
    to be gone now.
    I have been inspired by PatchIt, but went completely different way. PatchIt was single interactive tool (at the time it was developed there was no other way), and didn't work with any built-in or external tool. Basically after dropping tool, patching process was finished. I contrary, EasySpline works with all tool regardless whether they existed in time I wrote it, like LWCAD. It's analyzing in real-time every single mesh change to rebuild spline cage's virtual geometry.

Javis Jones: Night Crew geothefaust's Avatar
    I use EasySpline regularly, it's the ONLY way to do spline modeling.

Sensei, are you planning on writing plug-ins for CORE?

Thanks sensei....that clears things up a little bit.

I would probably have bought your plugins already, but current core
    development and insecurity on how far core has come, and no further development of 9.6...makes me wait for other times, or continue with other software.

I hope you continue to develop your tools anyway and hopefully for core in the future, your tools seems awesome.

Michael

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Sensei, are you planning on writing plug-ins for CORE?
    EasySpline will be our the first Core plug-in. Implemented as modifier node, taking spline cage node as parameter, and generating geometry to parent node/OpenGL. So no more freezing to real geometry will be needed while spline modeling.
    The first screen-shots should appear in a few weeks on internal Core beta tester threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    EasySpline will be our the first Core plug-in. Implemented as modifier node, taking spline cage node as parameter, and generating geometry to parent node/OpenGL. So no more freezing to real geometry will be needed while spline modeling.
    The first screen-shots should appear in a few weeks on internal Core beta tester threads.

Interesting.

Well I have to wait quite some more time than that until I can see anything,
    Im not in the core program and will not be.

Michael

EasySpline PRO

Hay Matt. Is this what you are asking for?

Are you asking for a plugin that would work like EasySPLINE but lets you choose how it patches the splines?

Layer one shows the start of the spline cage.
    Layer two shows patching a few key splines
    Layer three shows the rest of the work done by the auto spline patch plugin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spline Tests-01.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	73033  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Cool. I'm anxious to see what 3rd party developers do with the new CORE architecture.