Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: vista search is ****

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    i'll try a demo on vista but i don't hold out much hope getting audio monitoring working as i record with such childish controls they vista gives you....i can't even get camtasia to send my mic audio thru to my headphones in vista when i'm making training vids for lightwve core...
    Dunno how it goes in Vista but in 7 it's really simple: right click on audio icon in taskbar -> recording devices -> Microphone -> properties -> Listen -> Listen to this device -> OK.

You can choose which device will do the playback from a dropdown list. Also by activating "Stereo mix" and fiddling with settings you can quite easily achieve looping audio back from media players etc to other software in order to record it etc.

I'm *guessing* it's the same as in Vista, but can't say. Anyway, at least I found this easier than in XP - it's just different and took some minutes to figure out.
    Niklas Collin - Finnish Lightwaver

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    vista search is ****

you can't seach via file type...WTF!
    or booleans....

all you get is date, size tag, authors and size...no f'n file type?
    f n bull poo
    so annoying!!!!!

do i really have to remove my hard drives and re install them in an xp computer just so i can search them properly...GRRRRRR
    But MicroSoft is keeping you SAFE from finding stuff you shouldn't mess with! It's called "dumbing down" or "catering to the lowest common denominator".

Quote Originally Posted by Ember View Post
    Just wanted to point out that Windows 7 search is by far superior to Vista's, which is superior to XP's... With 7 I really don't feel like I'd need a better search anymore. Seven is like an optimized version of Vista with all the confusing stuff turned to logical. I have VERY little bad to say about seven which I've been using as my main operating system since January (yeah, I must be crazy but this thing just works even when it's still a beta...).
    While I like 7 a lot better than Vista, I have to ask: WTF are you talking about? The search on 7 (build 7000, anyway) actually seems to suck worse that it did on Vista. While it is easy to get any file type you want (by doing the default nuclear strike, whole hard drive search), doing a fine search has so far eluded me. I want the ability to search C:\Program Files\ for "SomeFreakingDLL.dll"

p.s. Searching is really my only gripe with 7, really like it a lot. Seems a lot "smoother" than ME Junior.
    Last edited by mattclary; 04-27-2009 at 12:57 PM.

OK, just actually took some time to try to puzzle it out since it is not intuitive. In 7, you have to actually browse to a folder to narrow the search to that folder.

Someone please explain to me why this is better than being able to right click > Search on a folder.

Works fine here.

In fact, we prefer Vista over other OS's...

but it's true that you just can't live with any of the default settings.

It needs some attention before you'll be happy.

Note that many of the 'are you sure?', 'are you the admin?', etc were added due to overwhelming requests for addtional security...
    we shut that junk off, among dozens of other items...

then Vista is just smokin' hot.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
    - Thomas A. Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Ember View Post
    Dunno how it goes in Vista but in 7 it's really simple: right click on audio icon in taskbar -> recording devices -> Microphone -> properties -> Listen -> Listen to this device -> OK.

You can choose which device will do the playback from a dropdown list. Also by activating "Stereo mix" and fiddling with settings you can quite easily achieve looping audio back from media players etc to other software in order to record it etc.

I'm *guessing* it's the same as in Vista, but can't say. Anyway, at least I found this easier than in XP - it's just different and took some minutes to figure out.
    sounds like windows 7 could be the answer...hope they don't screw that up before it's released.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by mattclary View Post

Someone please explain to me why this is better than being able to right click > Search on a folder.
    But just earlier you said,
    "But MicroSoft is keeping you SAFE from finding stuff you shouldn't mess with! It's called "dumbing down" or "catering to the lowest common denominator".
    as if to imply you would prefer to be left alone by the OS, no dumbing down required.

Well I happen to agree completely. I really don't see any reason why we should have to put up with all the nannyware and all the "helpful" and automatic stuff like Defender and Windows Update , and I would much prefer a stripped-down "pro" version for workstations that excludes all that crap.

But I feel the same way about searches too. I don't need Windows to supply a search function any more than I need it to supply sound or video hardware or drivers.

As for searching, just don't lose stuff.
    But you can also buy other programs and get freeware that does all that extra stuff Windows does, but more efficiently and using less resources too. IMO, that's the way it should be.
    If they stopped trying to cater to all these special needs, such as searching, such as delivering sound, such as nannying, they could spend more time delivering a simple, solid operating system people wouldn't all be complaining about.

I really encourage everyone on this thread who hasn't tried Directory Opus to give it a go (there's a sixty-day trial), and on my site LightWiki, there's a banner for it with a code to get a discount on the software. Be warned however, that it is software that rewards configuration.

B
    (DOpus user since v3)
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

I tried directory opus. It reminds me of norton commander from the dos days. Is there a way to turn off drag/drop so that it would prevent me from accidentally moving files and folders (while trying to select) into another folder shown in the same panel? Is it possible to copy and move files between panels using key shortcuts?
    Is is possible to select files when dragging from first file to last? Now it begins the drag/drop action which I do not want for reasons stated above.
    Last edited by art; 04-27-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: I might go for Directory Opus

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    I really encourage everyone on this thread who hasn't tried Directory Opus to give it a go (there's a sixty-day trial), and on my site LightWiki, there's a banner for it with a code to get a discount on the software. Be warned however, that it is software that rewards configuration.

B
    (DOpus user since v3)

Yeah it does look pretty cool. I was checking it out the other day after it was first mentioned in this thread but have too much else to do ATM to mess with it. I'm planning on giving it a go though, soon enough.
    Thatnks for the heads up on the discount!

Quote Originally Posted by art View Post
    I tried directory opus. It reminds me of norton commander from the dos days. Is there a way to turn off drag/drop so that it would prevent me from accidentally moving files and folders (while trying to select) into another folder shown in the same panel? Is it possible to copy and move files between panels using key shortcuts?
    Is is possible to select files when dragging from first file to last? Now it begins the drag/drop action which I do not want for reasons stated above.
    Yes and yes. You can choose not to have full-line select, which means that you can draw a bounding box around the files you want, and yes you can setup shortcuts for anything. I have Shift-c and shift-v for copy and paste and alt-shift-c and -v for copy as and paste as. One of the best things is the simplest - ctrl-n for new folder! Yay! That alone saves me masses of time.

I also set a shortcut so that alt-doubleclicking on a file - txt, jpg, wav, lwo - will open it in the program I want, where just doubleclicking it will open it in a viewer.

B
    PS. You also get a licence of portable DOpus so you can just shove it on a USB key and wherever you go have DOpus.
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Actually, full line does not seem to be on by default because I always get a bounding box. It appears that what I need is full line select. I just to not want to have any accidental actions (files moved, copied, exceuted, etc) while selecting files. Something like selecting files with shift and up/down arrows, but using only mouse. Can it be configured that way?

EDIT: Found it, it can be done in power mode. Now I really like it
    Last edited by art; 04-28-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: to like or not to like...

Quote Originally Posted by mattclary View Post
    OK, just actually took some time to try to puzzle it out since it is not intuitive. In 7, you have to actually browse to a folder to narrow the search to that folder.

It all depends. It clicked me instantly, didnīt even think of right clicking to search... To me this is the intuitive way to do it. Especially since it reads (if I remember correctly, not on my Windows 7 machine) in the search that "Search in <folder name here>" before you click on the input area.

But yeah, it would be better to give more options for people more inclined for different ways to do things. Letīs see if this has changed in the RC which is coming within a week or so.
    Niklas Collin - Finnish Lightwaver

I am also very used to right clicking on a folder name to search there. I have only brief experiences with vista's search tool. So far I found it confusing, but only because I'm used to do it differently. For some this might indeed be preferred way of searching. In xp you can also search in currently open folder by pressing f3

I finally decided to do something about some of Vistas problems instead of just complaining about them.

How to stop Vista from messing with your folder views:
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70...-settings.html

How to search by right-clicking a folder:
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/13...vista-sp1.html

-

My dongle is small, hard, and purple.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast