Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: vista search is ****

vista search is ****

vista search is ****

you can't seach via file type...WTF!
    or booleans....

all you get is date, size tag, authors and size...no f'n file type?
    f n bull poo
    so annoying!!!!!

do i really have to remove my hard drives and re install them in an xp computer just so i can search them properly...GRRRRRR
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

User.
    Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    vista search is ****

you can't seach via file type...WTF!
    or booleans....

all you get is date, size tag, authors and size...no f'n file type?
    f n bull poo
    so annoying!!!!!

do i really have to remove my hard drives and re install them in an xp computer just so i can search them properly...GRRRRRR
    You mean, in Windows Vista you cant Search with a ' *.doc ' ?

What happens if you do?

yeah don't work.... seach *.jpg brings 3 results yet i know i have thousands of jpg files..

vista is a bunch of poo when you search for stuff...so crap it's just not funny...wasted over an hour trying to find an image..i'm moving my folders to a 1tb usb drive and will use xp to search for stuff.

and yeah i've tick the non indexed radio button too...usless pooo.
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Do yourself a favor and get Directory Opus. The best filemanager on the planet.

http://www.gpsoft.com.au/
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

User.
    Well I converted my Vista to XP long ago.

You dont need to be a programmer to know that it was poo

Only Neverko still defends Vista I think.

yeah know all that...it's just un-releiable filth

as per ususal it tries to help you...i want control and not have to wade thru .jpg.wdesk files [thumbs] as well as jpg files if my search was ONLY for .jpg

also the results don't count them selves...you get a window full of files but NO number how many there are...you have to select all,rh click...properties to find how many results you have...utter stupid nonsense for 2009.

the sooner this bag of poo dies the better....i bet windows 7 search is crap too though...
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by neverko View Post
    Your vista is broken It works fine here.

I have attached my search settings. This works for me. I have indexing disabled on my drives, I don't like it or need it.

With the attached settings, file searching works perfectly for me and wildcards work as well.

If you disable indexing, but keep the default search settings. Searching will be borked.

Diedon, just shut up. You're only making a fool of yourself. You might not see any benefits due to your limited capacity for understanding Vista. But that does not limit the benefits for those who understand and utilize them.

okay i'll try your settings...
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

User.
    You're only making a fool of yourself. You might not see any benefits due to your limited capacity for understanding Vista. But that does not limit the benefits for those who understand and utilize them.
    The movie in youtube clearly demonstrates just from where Vista has come from, and Im making a fool out of myself for not liking it?!!

Id beg to differ!

And where just chatting here ok. Switch off the 'Shut Up' and 'Fool' names will you? Your not the one to judge or tell me what to do. Who do you think you are?

Cant say I had any problem with the search myself, Im using similar settings as Neverko. I think it actually works better if anything... Vista takes a little bit of getting used to but I would never go back, geez I hate XP. Cracks me up how people have so many problems with Vista, it really comes down to user error as far as I can tell, just give it more than 1 day and you should be ok. I'm still on my original install of Vista 64 on this machine after around 2 years (whenever it was first released), it would take an XP miracle for that to happen.
    Last edited by sammael; 04-25-2009 at 04:05 AM.

I am using google desktop for finding my files. Even though I know where to find all my files. I use it more like a quick access tool. Works perfect for me! It only has to index your files once which can take some time.

Not sure if it is usefull for you, but you might give it a try

I get a nice little counter at the bottom of the window. It shows me how many files were found. When I open regular folders it tells me how many items are in the folder.

I think you should take a step back, take a deep breath and then spend 2 minutes setting the options to your liking.

I agree that the defaults are mostly poo. It is just not a big issue to me since it takes a one time session of a couple of minutes to get everything to work.
    so i've now set the layout to 'details pane' so it actually COUNTS the results...

why o why are the defaults so rubbish in vista?

fn tags...fn date taken...more stupid defaults!

yeah once you've hacked vista...it starts to work as well as window 95 but defaults on installs are utter filth.

turn off uac otherwise zbrush doesn't work....
    change folder types so all you folders have a "date modified"
    change layout so it counts the files...
    change search defaults so it can find stuff
    remove tag
    remove date taken
    remove rating
    turn off areo

change change change....

i wish there was a xp setting...so all the above just set them selves up with a single click...

and re folders on c drive...you can't change the 'drive' to remove tags and date taken and show date modified...you have to do each master folder..unlike drive d,e,f,g etc...
    Last edited by cresshead; 04-25-2009 at 04:37 AM.
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

User.
    Youtube? LOL! I don't even need to say more.
    Were not on the same frequency!

But the fact is, while I make humorous posts you take them seriosly and call names and tell people what to do!

Actually vista's search is excellent and ability to search from "file open" window is God send, then u need to open lightwave files with not linked textures/objects, just copy the name of missing object, paste to search field and boom u got it , click to load and u can search next one ...

User.
    Keep telling yourself that.
    Man youre just beeing rude! What the heck is wrong with you today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast