Thread: Import Directx models

Going around in circles.. Beau_M's Avatar
    Under the cusions, down and to the left a bit.

Import Directx models

I noticed there are a few directx model exporters floating around, but couldn't find any importers (which is what I needed at the time). So I decided to write one. Found it quite simple to import the mesh data, but decided I wanted the surfaces too, so it takes care of that while it's at it (with some limitations, see below). I've only tested this on 9.6 (32 and 64 bit), so I have no idea what else it would run on.

Currently does:
    - Import all mesh data
    - creates as many surfaces as required and assigns them to each poly

Limitations:
    - ONLY works on 32bit txt models (You can tell by reading the first line of the model. If the last two digits are 32, it's fine. I will possibly add support for 64bit later)
    - Will not read binary, tzip or bzip models
    - Will NOT read files that contain multiple mesh data sections... (wasn't an issue for what I needed and didn't think of it until just now actually)
    - just about anything else you can think of that I didn't list it can actually do

ToDo: These might happen, probably won't though
    - Retrieve textures and assign them
    - Weight maps
    - UV mesh (if I can figure it out...)
    - Animation data to morphs
    - Normals

Download:
    http://www.arendedwinter.com/downloa...ctx_Import.zip

This could probably be written better, I wouldn't suggest trying to change anything without a lot of experience with pure chaos (although it is pretty well commented, kinda)

Any chance you'd be amenable to releasing the source so others could build it for Mac, and perhaps add some of the missing features?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Going around in circles.. Beau_M's Avatar
    Under the cusions, down and to the left a bit.
    It's an uncompiled lscript, so shouldn't be a problem to open (although I'm not familiar with Mac) If you wish to make a Mac version, go for it!

I have a feeling something funny is going on with the surfaces. Seems a bit odd to have, say, an eye with the same surface name as a foot... Then again maybe it's right, I don't know just yet...