Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about some Minesweeper

User.

How about some Minesweeper

I just scored the expert level at 271 seconds! But with a touchpad mind you!

I know its not that much, but whats you guys score?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Minesweeper.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	248.7 KB 
ID:	72573  

Don't have proof, (it was about 6 computers ago,) but I've done Expert in about 216 seconds, Intermediate in the mid-70s, and Beginner in 9.

The mouse tricks are key.

Also, I played enough to learn all the logical tricks and patterns to help me out. Typically, the first guess I made would end the game, so I had to learn the logic well. Also, careful or not, my success rate at Expert is probably about 6%.

I win about 90% of the time with Spider Solitaire and Freecell, though.

We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we cannot have both.
    ─Supreme Court Justice Louis D Brandeis

User.
    Well, make a new proof if you can then? Cause 0.42916666666 secs per box is something to take note of!

As seen in the beginner score of 2 seconds, undoubtadly luck is involved in it.

And if you try it all out, there just is a rare chance that you can finish it in just 1 second, but you need to click THEE right box, that completely, or almost completely opens up all the boxes for you. Or if its the later, youll just have to manage to open the remaining small ones just under 1 second!

Logic, at BEST, can only send you up to having two boxes in expert level! Thats why I use the question mark '?' on them two last ones. Or just clickaway for faster time. Which is better than opening up all of them, only to fail on the last two mines in last two boxes in the end. A scene which has happened to me alot.

Without proof I think I was at about 230 or so. Again some computers ago, while working at UNMIK. And with a mouse.
    Last edited by DiedonD; 04-20-2009 at 07:06 AM.

This isn't much proof in a forum where most of the users have Photoshop or similar programs, but...

Name:	minesweeper.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	72576  
    -

My dongle is small, hard, and purple.

Or perhaps not so great Mark The Great's Avatar
    2 seconds for easy? Come on! I can't get below 5!

I think my fastest time (for expert), on the old computer, is 250.

I really hate how it keeps track of your winning percentage on Vista. It psyches me out and I never want to play lest I upset my 'average'.

Holy smokes.

We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we cannot have both.
    ─Supreme Court Justice Louis D Brandeis

User.
    Well one guy did it for 1 second I tell you. No proof though. He just clicked on the right box! It is possible, cause if you click on the numberless box, it opens up wide. And if it encircles the miny area, they get automatically flagged too!

Med8or!

137/480 = 0.28541666666 seconds per box man! What did you take? Them drugs that make you dance all night or what?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark The Great View Post
    I really hate how it keeps track of your winning percentage on Vista. It psyches me out and I never want to play lest I upset my 'average'.
    Easy enough to "beat" the Vista statistics. If you have one of the 50-50 choices, just quit and save. Starting a new game wont's register as a loss, at least it doesn't with Solitaire..
    You also have the option to try the same game several times..
    -

User.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medi8or View Post
    Easy enough to "beat" the Vista statistics. If you have one of the 50-50 choices, just quit and save. Starting a new game wont's register as a loss, at least it doesn't with Solitaire..
    You mean you get several trials in checking weather the mine is either in box A or B?!

Thats easy! And your time is stored too?

Piece of cake!

Did it happened to you that once there was a mine on a saved game in A, and later on was on a B, on the same game?

I kinda think they move so rapidly before I get to choose between the two...

Quote Originally Posted by DiedonD View Post
    137/480 = 0.28541666666 seconds per box man! What did you take? Them drugs that make you dance all night or what?!
    Nah.. As you said, if you hit a blank it will open wide.
    Also, marking where you know there are mines, and then hitting middle mouse button helps a lot..

Quote Originally Posted by DiedonD
    You mean you get several trials in checking weather the mine is either in box A or B?!
    If you hit a mine in Vista, you get a choice to try the same game again. You then start the game at the beginning, but with all the mines in the same place. If you are smart, you won't hit the same mine twice..

Also if you quit in the the middle of the game, you can save and resume the same game next time you start up Minesweeper. Mines are in the same place, and the time is saved too.

I don't think either of these methods will help improve your times much, but they will help statistics. I don't much care, since I'm the only one using my machine, and good looking statistics won't fool me..
    -

Or perhaps not so great Mark The Great's Avatar
    I think losing multiple times at the same game of minesweeper counts as multiple losses.

I hadn't thought of that first method. That will be handy.

User.
    Also, marking where you know there are mines, and then hitting middle mouse button helps a lot..
    Left click opens up boxes, right click flaggs or puts questions marks ('?').

The midle box I havent ever used it! Honest!

But clicking both left and right, makes a square like shape dissapearing the boxes within that square! Whats the use of that?! Bizzare!
    Last edited by DiedonD; 04-20-2009 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DiedonD View Post
    Left click opens up boxes, right click flaggs or puts questions marks ('?').

The midle box I havent ever used it! Honest!

But clicking both left and right, makes a square like shape dissapearing the boxes within that square! Whats the use of that?! Bizzare!
    I allways remove the option to set question marks, they are just a waste of time.
    Middle button does the same as clicking left and right button at the same time. Mark every mine around a number, middle-click (left-right-click) on the number, and it clicks on every button around it. You can save quite a few clicks..
    -

My best time for expert is 124, but my average is about 145-190. I play a LOT of Minesweeper during builds.... watching the stupid lines go by.

The trick is to turn the "?"'s off and use your Left+Right mouse clicks a lot so you don't have to reveal each individual tile.

Name:	minesweep_run.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	72583  
    Last edited by Hopper; 04-20-2009 at 10:47 AM.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

User.
    Yes Im always talking for expert level! 124 is quite fast though BTW, Bravo!

Well. Im getting there!

Still with a touchpad though!

Name:	Minessweeper - Getting Better - 05.05.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	73190  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast