Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spinquad interview ... how do i feel about lw? :-)

spinquad interview ... how do i feel about lw? :-)

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showt...519#post246519

feel free to comment as i say stuff that not every one might want to hear :-)
    www.xtrm3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by xtrm3d View Post
    http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showt...519#post246519

feel free to comment as i say stuff that not every one might want to hear :-)
    Cool interview, and so true
    www.mrwyatt.de
    lighting & rendering supervisor at
    Ambient Entertainment

current project

IMDB

I think everything you said was fair. I totally agree about the membership card and t-shirt comment too. I cringed upon hearing that.

What about some of the Image Filter plugins in Layout for rendering out different passes without making a ton of scenes? Like Render Buffer Export, Render Buffer View, or Photoshop PSD Export? Do these not work in a production environment?

Cool read. Great work.

Very nice work and a great interview. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

-Keith
    When you know you're a "cup half-full" kind of guy:

"Sir; they've got us surrounded!"

"Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"

Quote Originally Posted by evolross View Post
    I think everything you said was fair. I totally agree about the membership card and t-shirt comment too. I cringed upon hearing that.

What about some of the Image Filter plugins in Layout for rendering out different passes without making a ton of scenes? Like Render Buffer Export, Render Buffer View, or Photoshop PSD Export? Do these not work in a production environment?

Cool read. Great work.
    those are soooo dated by now and don't give you the flexibility you need in todays compositing work.
    The buffers lack standard outputs like normals, occlusion ,uv and such and on top of that they are not expandable uppon user needs. By that I mean that other renderers have ways to render any arbitrary buffer to file so that for instance you can output a buttload of masks with your initial render without having to have a scene dedicated to rendering an rgb matte.
    where I work we use a special renderman atmosphere shader that gets applied to the entire scene, that outputs 12 Mattes as well as Normals in world and camera space, Ambient Occlusion and a coulpe of other things. We render only one scene and get out all passes we need. In LW that would be several scenes and several objects with different shaders.

allthough LightWolf has released a plugin that would make this sort of thing easyer in that you don't need several versions of your objects, bt you still need several scenes to render.

hope this makes it clear as to where LW is lacking.
    www.mrwyatt.de
    lighting & rendering supervisor at
    Ambient Entertainment

current project

IMDB

Awesome work.

And cool interview.

Nice interview, I think you summed up the feelings of a lot of people.

I think alot of people say and think that stuff - it's just some are heard more than others - same old story.

Look around and you will see posts from several, over many months, who bemoan the great new renderer, but left crippled, in some ways, by its lack of a modern workflow. I am still staggered that NT chose to stop at that point and move to CORE, because had they developed that render-pass workflow now, before CORE, 9.6 would have alot more to shout about and be a far higher production contender.

By the schedule, we're not going to see this in CORE for quite some time, certainly not for Q4, which seems slated as a modelling release. I understand the need to pursue that for the groundwork, but at Q4 they have to release a modeller that surpasses Silo and others, and rivals Modo's toolset at least. I don't expect that, to be honest, but would love to be proved wrong

As for the marketing.....what planet ARE they on?? There is something deeply immature about the whole marketing exercise, and I have wondered if some at NT simply don't get the target audience.....that's what it looks like.

Good interview - thanks for posting!

Julian.
    LW 2015.3 Win 10 Pro 64bit

http://www.take27.co.uk

nice tallent , works amazing

Quote Originally Posted by JBT27 View Post
    By the schedule, we're not going to see this in CORE for quite some time, certainly not for Q4, which seems slated as a modelling release. I understand the need to pursue that for the groundwork, but at Q4 they have to release a modeller that surpasses Silo and others, and rivals Modo's toolset at least. I don't expect that, to be honest, but would love to be proved wrong
    Huh what schedule? a Modeler?? Either you or I are mistaken and I hope to hell it isnt me...
    I am yet to come accross any solid info on what we can expect in the q4 release feel free to point me in the right direction. I'm hoping its a damn sight more than just a modeler..

Quote Originally Posted by JBT27 View Post
    ...they have to release a modeller that surpasses Silo...
    Silo isn't so hard to surpass. Don't get me wrong, it is a great modeler and my prefered tool to use, but its riddled with buggs and the bugfixes are sparce at best. It is great... no, awsome... for organic modeling, realy super fast but hard surface modeling is..... hard.

Anyhow, nice interview Christoffe, and a mature opinion on LW. Luckely, with Core, NewTek seem to be right on track again.
    MacBook Pro quad core 2,6Ghz, 8Gb ram
    Mac Pro dual Intel quad core 2.8 Ghz, 8Gb ram, Quadro 4000

my website and 2011 showreel
    http://www.simonglas.net

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sammael View Post
    Huh what schedule? a Modeler?? Either you or I are mistaken and I hope to hell it isnt me...
    I am yet to come accross any solid info on what we can expect in the q4 release feel free to point me in the right direction. I'm hoping its a damn sight more than just a modeler..
    Read through the threads started by Jay...not just a modeller but that is the primary focus for this release. He recently said that the 9.6 renderer was designed to be easily ported to CORE so, purely on speculation, you'd expect a new modeller with 9.6 renderer bolted on by Q4.

Nice interview and thanks for being honest. Unfortunately it will be ignored by the people that count just like all the other honest feedback over the years but at least you said your part.

It read like a pretty balanced view on Lightwave, pointing out the pros as well as the cons.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Really interesting read - Christophe is right on many points, and I'm happy he still shares his artwork with us spinquaders.

Thanks for taking the time to do this interview, Christophe

Doesn't the plugin exrTrader allow for multi-pass rendering?
    // To draw is to think and discover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast