Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better Chroma Key

Quote Originally Posted by NVentive View Post
    My two cents.....
    I'm hoping the keyer in SE 2.0 is improved as well, but we use green screen a lot with better results than that.
    Is that the web video causing all that blockiness? There is huge edging on anything with solid lines like his shirt, jacket etc.
    Maybe I missed it but what format are you recording? It looks like mini-DV in a HD version.

We'll see what 2.0 brings.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Quote Originally Posted by billmi View Post
    The ability to feather the edge of the key, like we can soft edge a video layer, would be very nice to have. Vector estimation of the edge on color data (allowing cleaner keys on DV material like Sirius Magic did) would be even better, even though I'd expect those segments to often require background rendering.
    Hmmm, I thought the folks that pulled that off, Billmi, was "XM" Magic...

But seriously (sic), you guys are right. Keying in SpeedEDIT is not as fun as in NewTek's hardware alternatives.

Q1

A good pun is it's own reword, Q1.

The current keyer is definitely workable, I'd just like to be able to do more, knowing it's possible - especially when having to key shots that a client has sent in, where I don't have control and the ability to test during the set-up for the shoot.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

It looks like mini-DV in a HD version.

That's the down-rez for web -- the key is actually pretty decent
    The former FBI agent was shot 720, 59.94 from a 200a then rendered off as a SpeedHQ and keyed/composited in Ultra. The mid-render hurt a little, but I had to go thru it 'cause Ultra can't see .mxf. I'd rather work in DF, but this guy is on a tight budget and Ultra is faster for me. The other guy was done live in SD on our TriCaster.
    Both keys are much smoother that anything Se can do. The word I have is that the 2.0 keyer will be the same. :-(
    Stephen Self
    Happy NewTekie Since 1998
    www.n-ventivetv.com

It just isn't gonna be a perfect world for a while yet.

If you take the talent to the studio you can light him correctly. But what if you have to take the camera to the office of the Minister of Dark Matters & Shady Deals? Try lighting him when you had a hard enough time getting the camera & the screen through security.

Someday, some enterprising programmer is going to realize that chromakeyed edges don't flutter around on a single-pixel-basis in real life, so the keyer algorithm should exercise some degree of logic, correlating the previous couple of fields to the one he's doing to smooth out the realtime motion, so that we don't get white noise from camera gain controls ending up like swarms of ants crawling up the subject's jacket.

Well said

How are you doing down in the Caribean these days ?

Are you going to make it to NAB this year?

Cheers,
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

Some guys have all the luck!

The Caribbean is great. Living & working on a Cruise Ship is probably the best decision I ever made. I'm the onboard Videographer, & that means weddings, parties, conventions, excursions, promotional vids, gag videos etc. I get to exercise all my abilities & build new ones...

Makes purchases slow though, and I have to debug my own problems 'cos there's no-one around that I can take things to, but hey, that's part of the game.

If life's a game, I'm winning!

And No, I won't be able to get to NAB. I'll just have to read about it later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12