Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: LightWave CORE Page Updated - 2 Videos, 2 New Screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    That's exactly waht I was saying. I love using Lightwave, I fear major changes to it.
    Well your gonna be left in the dust then. Your going to have to learn a new application, whether it be Core or something else. Lightwave as we know it is dead.

The interresting thing with CORE is that it has the potential of becoming equally powerfull as Maya, Houdini or XSI, but with the option of also being really fast and easy to work with.

I'm really looking forward to feedbacking NewTek on this one, since I probably will use it for a long time to come.

Lets face it... non of the other 3D-developers have this openess to ALL customers who would like to participate.

To all of you who are turning your backs towards NT and CORE; please don't come here and ***** about CORE v1.0 when it is released.

Speak now, or forever be silenced!

Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Sinner Saved by Grace Larry_g1s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    The interresting thing with CORE is that it has the potential of becoming equally powerfull as Maya, Houdini or XSI, but with the option of also being really fast and easy to work with.

I'm really looking forward to feedbacking NewTek on this one, since I probably will use it for a long time to come.

Lets face it... non of the other 3D-developers have this openess to ALL customers who would like to participate.

To all of you who are turning your backs towards NT and CORE; please don't come here and ***** about CORE v1.0 when it is released.

Man Cageman...I'm 100% with you.
    Larry Vasquez | Genesis One Studios | company showreel

Someday, I will be a CG animator (student at iAnimate.net).

Bahahaha, the usual suspects... be silenced... hahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by monovich View Post
    and when it is, you could just as well name it 3D App Extreme X, because it will be Lightwave only in name.
    I respectfully disagree. NewTek may be adding a lot of industry standards that exist in other applications, and they may be altering things a bit to make LightWave better, but it will still be LightWave. They've made that pretty clear. It's not going to be convoluted like Max and Maya. It's not going to be XSI. It can offer similar functionality, or perhaps even better, while still maintaining the LightWave ease of use.

Granted, that's a big task, and we don't know if they succeeded or not, but they went out of their way to say that it is still going to be familiar; it will still be LightWave.

What would be the business sense for NewTek to make a Maya or XSI clone? None. They have to do it differently, and better, if they want LightWave to succeed.

Or will be be like Modo where v1 had a few features, v2 had a few more, etc etc etc? If that is the case, I'm not sure why I wouldn't just pick up Modo, because it would seem they have less to do before they have a final product.
    In regards to this: again, it doesn't make much sense. Modo and LightWave do not share the same long-term vision. Modo is not trying to compete toe-to-toe with the other full 3d applications. It's not going to take NewTek 7-10 years to get animation tools into LightWave Core. Even if Core 1.0 won't have all the features of 9.6 (which has been stated), I would be surprised if it took them beyond Core 2.0 to fully replace 9.6.

If the full version of CORE looks good when it comes out then great, I'll get it, but I'd rather pay a $200-$300 price penalty on the full version than spend anything on what could be a looooong beta process.

I've always been tempted to try other 3d apps, and if I've got to start from "scratch" anyway, I may as well shop around.

-sf
    same feelings for me too, I do suspect thou that I will get the core once they have developed it a bit more, but the core program isnīt for me Even thou
    I have some suggestions to how it could be developed and improved, those thoughts could probably be forwarded anyway and in regards to how Lightwave used to work.

I sincerely wish Newtek good luck with this and they are probably doing it
    in the right order.

I might have some objections to the hype marketing for this ..perhaps a simple declaration of an new core program should have been enough considering how far the development seem to have come..
    and some objections to that they should perhaps think twice and not drop continued features and improvements to Lightwave until after a 10.5 cycle perhaps, but then again that ofcourse would impact the time table for the works on the core so at the end itīs their decision.

Meanwhile Ill continue my quest to cross the Learning threshold required
    for houdini..takes time

Michael

Maybe I got lost on the message, but once I pay for a HardCORE membership, what should I do? I have already registered, but have no idea if I need to wait, and for how long.
    It's not impossible, just unlikely.

i disagree.

that's kind of like saying "you can't complain if you don't vote"... only in the scenario you present, voting is a privelege that you have to pay for.

it can be painted as the odd "privelege" that you pay for but you can't possibly then portray it as a responsibility imposed with a cover charge.

there may indeed be hobbyists and students who are put off by the (not insignificant, if i may be so bold) cost of buying an unknown quantity.

also - it may turn out that those who have paid for the dubious 'privelege' of joining hardcore will have reason to b1tch loudest when decisions are made... AGAINST their ideas. because as sanity dictates - your admission ticket doesn't obligate them to actually use any of your ideas.

in which case you're paying for the privelege of being ignored. being "heard" doesn't mean much if you're not heeded. and on the other hand, just because you can be heard doesn't mean you should be...although that ends up being a real b1tch of a thing if you paid to be heard...

sigh... fraught with peril... i think so....

oh well, bon voyage you crazy kids. build well. because if it's not bad enough to abandon my investment so far but still stuffed with bad, that incessant buzzing you hear will be the sound of a certain, friendly neighborhood gadfly telling you what you gone done wrong.

: )

luck.

jin

p.s. ot - hey cageman, i didn't realize how you "purchase" your units in WIC... that sounds awesome... no base building and no unit "production", aspects of RTSs that i always hated... groovy. i think i'm gonna go for the combo pack.
    Last edited by jin choung; 03-28-2009 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jin choung View Post

there may indeed be hobbyists and students who are put off by the (not insignificant, if i may be so bold) cost of buying an unknown quantity.
    Yeah, there you go, that's exactly right. At this point I'd rather spend that 400 bucks on that shiny new Wacom Intuos 4 so I can permanently hook up my Intuos 3 to one of my other computers. That would be an example of a wise choice, IMO, as I'd be getting something I know would be perfectly usable and useful for my purposes, right away, not *maybe* and 9 months from now.

I would hardly call making an informed decision based upon one's financial situation and knowledge (or unintentional lack thereof) of a product such as CORE as "turning your backs towards NT and CORE".

Quote Originally Posted by jin choung View Post
    i disagree.

that's kind of like saying "you can't complain if you don't vote"... only in the scenario you present, voting is a privelege that you have to pay for.
    Exactly... I pay for it, and don't want to hear some moaning and bickering from those that refuses to invest in this oppertunity to help shape CORE v1.0.

Early adopters will always pay the highest price. Yeah... I get it cheaper, but in return I should testdrive alot and feedback as much as I can to help shape the toolset. In a sense, I will pay more than those who don't join hardCORE (not with money, but time). And, I also have to assume that once V1.0 is released in Q4, hardCORE members as well as NewTek will get the usual bashing from the usual suspects.

it can be painted as the odd "privelege" that you pay for but you can't possibly then portray it as a responsibility imposed with a cover charge.
    That doesn't bother me at all.

Yeah... and hardCORE membership is NOT for everyone. This is something NewTek has stated themselves.

also - it may turn out that those who have paid for the dubious 'privelege' of joining hardcore will have reason to b1tch loudest when decisions are made... AGAINST their ideas. because as sanity dictates - your admission ticket doesn't obligate them to actually use any of your ideas.

in which case you're paying for the privelege of being ignored. being "heard" doesn't mean much if you're not heeded. and on the other hand, just because you can be heard doesn't mean you should be...although that ends up being a real b1tch of a thing if you paid to be heard...
    There has already been some really good suggestions made for CORE where devs have joined in and declared that they really like the idea. There have been alot of examples of tools or workflow implementations in other apps made by hardCORE members where devs have joined in and said things like "Yeah... I really like that implementation myself" etc.

This indicates that the openess for CORE developement is much greater than it ever could have been for LW9.x OB.

But again, you are not a hardCORE member, so how could you possibly know about this?

So, to make it short: no... I don't think that you are right about NewTek shutting their ears as long as the suggestions and feedback are within sane realms.

p.s. ot - hey cageman, i didn't realize how you "purchase" your units in WIC... that sounds awesome... no base building and no unit "production", aspects of RTSs that i always hated... groovy. i think i'm gonna go for the combo pack.
    Yeah... it's one of those nice things about WIC; a very unique feature for an RTS, but it makes total sense when playing. You should really try out multiplayer... that is where WIC goes from very good to awesome!

Cinematics Department
    -----
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by IMI View Post
    I would hardly call making an informed decision based upon one's financial situation and knowledge (or unintentional lack thereof) of a product such as CORE as "turning your backs towards NT and CORE".
    You did see the smileys in the end of my post, right?

I think you took it too serious. There will ALWAYS be unhappy people that tries to find things to complain about... always, and nothing can be done about that.

Cinematics Department
    -----
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

You did see the smileys in the end of my post, right?

I think you took it too serious. There will ALWAYS be unhappy people that tries to find things to complain about... always, and nothing can be done about that.

Well maybe I did take it too seriously, but I wasn't replying solely to what you wrote. The myriad CORE arguments have occasionally had that "blindly trust in NT" theme in them, or "you're either with us or against us". For lack of a better way to put it.
    But at the same time, Newtek has taken the complete opposite approach and stated many times that people should wait if uncertain about it.

That's not to say that's what I thought you were saying, just that I chose to use your words above to illustrate that.

I really didn't mean anything directed towards you by it though.

It would really be nice to see some videos on surfacing and related things in Core before March 31. I somehow get the feeling these things haven't been implemented yet by the looks of it but who knows.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Are we there yet ?
    Basic surfacing only for first release.

Exactly... I pay for it, and don't want to hear some moaning and bickering from those that refuses to invest in this oppertunity to help shape CORE v1.0.

Early adopters will always pay the highest price. Yeah... I get it cheaper, but in return I should testdrive alot and feedback as much as I can to help shape the toolset. In a sense, I will pay more than those who don't join hardCORE (not with money, but time). And, I also have to assume that once V1.0 is released in Q4, hardCORE members as well as NewTek will get the usual bashing from the usual suspects.
    You paid to have NewTek listen to you about shaping Lightwave Core. Your HardCore membership is in a specific forum that is locked from the general public. Therefore, your HardCore membership has no meaning here in the general forum. The answer is simple, if you don't like the noise here in the general forum stay in the HardCore membership forum - Your payment is for that forum, not this one.

As for your complaint about receiving a bashing in the 4Q - too bad so sad - You don't seem to have a problem right now declaring your HardCore membership as a superior right to tell people what to do here in the general forum. Once the 4Q rolls around people have the same rights to judge Lightwave core as a finished product that cost $1495.00. I'm sure the NewTek guys understand this process as part of the job - why don't you?

This is the general forum, if you don't like the noise than don't come here. NewTek has a vested interest in listening to the fence sitter from now until Core is released. After all it is the fence sitters NewTek will be after to buy Lightwave Core in the 4Q, not HardCore members. us some commonsense about who this forum is for, and what benefit NewTek receives from the views posted here by possible future customers.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast