Thread: Compositing

Newbie Member

Compositing

Hello

I am new to lightwave and wanted to know if i can do blue/green compositing in Lightwave.

Sinner Saved by Grace Larry_g1s's Avatar
    I'm not sure, but check out the composting videos in the training center: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/24hours_training.php
    Larry Vasquez | Genesis One Studios | company showreel

Someday, I will be a CG animator (student at iAnimate.net).

Lightwave does very basic green screen removal. Just for lining up objects. You will still want to export your animations with an alpa channel and do final compositing in something like After Effects, Fusion, Nuke, Shake, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rohan1020 View Post
    Hello

I am new to lightwave and wanted to know if i can do blue/green compositing in Lightwave.
    You're going to want something like After Effects, Combustion or Shake for that sort of task or a good video editor like Premier Pro, Sony Vegas or Final Cut. Reason being that pulling good keys takes a variety of tools, including a keyer. It's not just a one step process. You first get as good a key as you can, then use color spill suppression, and choke/edge matte tools on top of that. You won't find these kinds of tools in a 3D package (except XSI has a good compositor added, and it may have some of these tools)...it's way beyond it's scope.

Also, it would be helpful, if you're new to green-screening, to learn some techniques that will help during the actual setup and filming (such as keeping a decent bit of distance from the green screen material, otherwise there will be a good deal of green-colored secondary light bounces reflected onto the subject...it can make it hard or impossible to get a professional looking key when that happens). Getting a decent amount of resolution helps considerably.
    Last edited by AbnRanger; 03-20-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by realgray View Post
    You will still want to export your animations with an alpa channel and do final compositing in something like After Effects, Fusion, Nuke, Shake, etc.
    I also will render CG-Objects for compositing, but what is the best for background in LW to get Edges without any color Noise. Are there any Color Bias settings, Despill Bias or Alpha Bias?

Composting videos are NOT in the training center -only one, working with Foreground Images- but nothing about render objects for AE, etc.
    Last edited by Eagle66; 03-22-2009 at 12:12 PM.

You have a few options. You can divide your render by the alpha to remove the premultiplied alpha in after effects. You also can specify the correct alpha type on import to AE. You can also use UnMult, a plugin for AE :
    http://www.toolfarm.com/plugins/inde...e_Knoll_Unmult

You can also specify the alpha type in the render globals/ output tab in LW.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle66 View Post
    I also will render CG-Objects for compositing, but what is the best for background in LW to get Edges without any color Noise. Are there any Color Bias settings, Despill Bias or Alpha Bias?

Composting videos are NOT in the training center -only one, working with Foreground Images- but nothing about render objects for AE, etc.
    RPF or OpenEXR formats are the way to go...assigning Material ID's and Object ID's prior to rendering will give you channel info that allows you to select and isolate those elements in post very cleanly.

easy way is to select the chroma key green colour for your background image in layout then take into after effects and make sure its clean , sometime it leaves a line or export your image sequence as tiff or png , never render a full length avi or footage , always export the images , this way you can add and edit at any point if something goes wrong !

peace

You might want to look at this too:

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19309