Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: TriCaster 2.5 Comments.

Would Be Awfully Nice to Hear an "Authority" Clue Us In on These...

It's "a busy-time" for them, but it sure would be Nice to hear from "Alcatraz" concerning these TriCaster 2.5 Upgrade Questions, initially sparked earlier, in this thread...

...Rich's query, "Does it work with SE/VT[5]..." could be interpreted to mean any number of things, worthy of a response that'll help us understand what we can/cannot presently do with these two beautiful codec iterations.

Namely, Does all project editing, scrubbing, and rendering -- plus DDR playback and scrubbing operations in SpeedEdit Standalone and SpeedEdit-VT (as well as use in a DDR during VT LIVE productions) properly work for both "Non-Studio Profile" and "Studio Profile" MPEG2?

...Or are there some "workaround issues" for now, that we need to know about? (Note: Again, *both* the Studio Profile and Non-Studio Profile MPEG2-I files written under the 2.5 update for TriCaster are in view throughout this list of queries)

That is,
    1. Does SpeedEDIT Standalone and SpeedEDIT-VT receive files of both profiles, into a SpeedEDIT Project with no problem, permitting the user to edit without any difficulty, or rendering quality "issues"?

2. Likewise, does SpeedEDIT Standalone and SpeedEDIT-VT permit users to scrub both profiles of MPEG2-I, within the timeline, with no realtime display issues (Output window and Realtime DV Output)?

3. Does SpeedEDIT Standalone and SpeedEDIT-VT receive files of both profiles, into a SpeedEDIT virtual disk player with no problem?

4. Will each version of SpeedEDIT soon be able to output files in the exact same two MPEG2-I profiles as does 2.5 TriCasters (and permit accurate capture in either profile, within VT[5]?

5. Will files from each profile, play and switch properly when loaded into a VT[5] DDR, during live production?

New questions:

6. Is it right now, relatively easy for NewTek SpeedEDIT endusers to set up a custom preset on our current SpeedEDIT and SpeedEDIT-VT systems, that'll permit us to record to those new "Studio Profile" and "Non-Studio Profile" MPEG2 formats -- without having upgrade, or at least -- wait for an upgrade?

7. ...and if so, what's the recipe?
    (Says Billmi on this: "There's a HUGE amount of control over render encodes in SpeedEdit, down to the level of custom block sizes and choices in motion prediction algorithms.")

8. What would it take, to get Windows Media Player (and even VLC Media Player) to be able to accommodate the new MPEG2 profiles by properly playing and scrubbing within same?

9. Other readers, please add any additional 2.5 Upgrade queries here...]
    Last edited by Quiet1onTheSet; 04-17-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Consultant
    I feel kinda bad. I have all the products you mention, above Quiet 1, but I really don't have the time for the R&D. Besides, isn't that NewTek's job?

Maybe some folks will run into the answers piecemeal - or better yet, there will be an official response.

Have you tried posing these questions to the NewTek technical support phone help?
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

Editing with Adobe Premiere Pro

I record in my trcaster pro a stream of sports for playback on the internet. I want to edit them but they file or picture size is smaller, any body got any ideas for larger picture and not lose alot of quality. Thank you

FCP 6.0.5 did load the non-studio profile but it has to be "rendered" before editing can take place. Just saw this for myself on a macbook pro laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpster View Post
    FCP 6.0.5 did load the non-studio profile but it has to be "rendered" before editing can take place. Just saw this for myself on a macbook pro laptop
    Is the 'render/no render' decision in FCP related to hardware capability, file format, or both? I've seen comments at other times in other contexts about needing to render first, and I've never been clear what the criteria was.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Questions, Questions [Stumper?]

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Is the 'render/no render' decision in FCP related to hardware capability, file format, or both? I've seen comments at other times in other contexts about needing to render first, and I've never been clear what the criteria was.
    Interesting you should ask that, Steve, as I was just asking myself:

Does the user have to force a "rendering" action, in FCP 6.0.5, before being able to play the clip, or is this seeming "rendering" activity something that simply happens automatically, once a TriCaster 2.5 derived MPEG-I Non-Studio Profile clip is placed in the FCP timeline?

If the answer is "No, this rendering isn't something the user does -- instead, it occurs automatically, once the clip is inserted into the FCP 6.0.5 timeline...", then I would want to test that same clip, inside of another version of FCP, to see what happens there.

For the record, we haven't gotten back into the Mac side of things (just yet),but Stumper's post gives pause for more questions and answers, indeed.
    Last edited by Quiet1onTheSet; 04-23-2009 at 07:34 AM.

The file would not play until the tech actually intervened and forced a render via the menu. You can see a still frame of the clip in the viewer but it won't play until the render is finished.

He did mention that on a more robust system perhaps it would not need to be rendered as he has loaded other varients of MPEG2 on his quad core rig without having to render.

He also mentioned that even under that particular circumstance the playback was a little choppy.

I do have another client that will be testing it on another system and should have more info soon on that.

Thanks a lot for taking time to report on these matters!
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456