Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LW_OpenEXR support

LW_OpenEXR support

SpeedEdit should at least support the four OpenEXR (FP/HALF, rgb/rgba) file formats that LightWave v9.6 generates so we actually can use the OpenEXR format.

I don't mind previewing in 8-bit as long as SE can render and output in FP/HALF.
    That would make SE interesting for use in lots of pipelines.

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    SpeedEdit should at least support the four OpenEXR (FP/HALF, rgb/rgba) file formats that LightWave v9.6 generates so we actually can use the OpenEXR format.

I don't mind previewing in 8-bit as long as SE can render and output in FP/HALF.
    That would make SE interesting for use in lots of pipelines.
    Yup, there are several of us that have asked for this....

My hope was that with the Next Gen product line...that SE was supposed to be the start of....would eventually support OpenEXR....

I've been looking to setup an end to end workflow...using it.

Thanks for bringing this up again....

NT, what about this for your next step...

Thou I hope Vncnt, that your using eyeon's fusion....and now with core supporting python...there could be some very helpful and interesting scripts made to connect LWCore and Fusion...workflows....along with Generation...
    Not what you wanted to hear at the moment...but at least that is a do able option at this time...

Cheers,
    Last edited by radams; 03-19-2009 at 09:44 PM.
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

Hmm, still running a license of DFX+ v4.
    It is crashing completely when opening the float formats.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Make sure you are using the latest version 4.04e.
    Can't test since I uninstalled it a little while back (had both DFX+4 and 5 for training support till about Oct. of last year).
    I don't remember having a problem though.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

If SE did support OpenEXR, how do you envision it working? How do other 8bit apps deal with import? I expect some at least minimal exposure controls would be required. Would these properly be placed at Clip Properties level, pre-import? Elsewhere? What optional properties do you think would be necessary? Gamma, obviously ... what else? Do any apps use a histogram for this?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    If SE did support OpenEXR, how do you envision it working? How do other 8bit apps deal with import? I expect some at least minimal exposure controls would be required. Would these properly be placed at Clip Properties level, pre-import? Elsewhere? What optional properties do you think would be necessary? Gamma, obviously ... what else? Do any apps use a histogram for this?
    Hi Steve,

I agree that there needs to be some controls...
    And SE was supposed to be more than 8 bit internally...only the output was supposed to be limited to 8 bit...at this time...or is that not the case ? this would then let us use SE's controls to make adjustments using the full color depth...and only outputing 8 bit at the end

I'm hoping that with the Next Gen...that this will be addressed...and that float will be support through out the entire pipeline....

at least that's the dream I keep having...for the last 5 or more years

Cheers,

Ray
    Last edited by radams; 04-06-2009 at 12:28 AM.
    Ray Adams

Quote Originally Posted by radams View Post
    And SE was supposed to be more than 8 bit internally...only the output was supposed to be limited to 8 bit...at this time...or is that not the case ? this would then let us use SE's controls to make adjustments using the full color depth...and only outputing 8 bit at the end
    Even so, after import we need to be able to view it on the screen while editing, and I don't know about you by my monitors don't display hdri.

I expect this means it would need some adjustment on import, no? Or would it be ok to just 'dump' it in and require the user to adjust it afterward using the Control Tree? (Until one did that, it might easily be too dark to see anything, over-blown, or both - afaics).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I expect this means it would need some adjustment on import, no? Or would it be ok to just 'dump' it in and require the user to adjust it afterward using the Control Tree? (Until one did that, it might easily be too dark to see anything, over-blown, or both - afaics).
    Both... apply a default gamma/exposure (after all, OpenEXRs are supposed to be linear) and then let the user change it in the control tree. Default settings in the prefs would help as well.
    Then bg pre-render.

Cheers,
    Mike

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    And SE was supposed to be more than 8 bit internally...
    "supposed to be" is a very powerful set of words in the software biz.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Hi all,

Thanks Mike (lightwolf

I completely agree...

Steve, I know that most displays are 8 bit...and some are now 10 bit...
    But HDR is and will become even more important in the workflow...especially with FX's base materials...
    It will give the whole look ability to be more controled and color corrected to get the look you're after...it's with working with gamma corrected files...like HDR...even disolves have more range...and look more natural.

One last thing...a HDR / OpenEXR workflow also would allow for improved lighting and contrast/gradations, etc...

I could start a novel...but I"ll leave it at that.

Eugene, I know, I'm like the Willie Coyote still running in mid air with nothing underneath...

But wasn't it supposed to be there ?

Cheers,
    Ray Adams

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    But wasn't it supposed to be there ?
    All depends who you believe... The stories seem to have changed over time.

I remember it as you do.

I think your idea is cool, though.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Steve, I know that most displays are 8 bit...and some are now 10 bit...But HDR is and will become even more important in the workflow... snip ....It will give the whole look ability to be more controled and color corrected to get the look you're after...
    Heheheheheh .... 'I know that you know' current displays are mostly 8 bit, Ray - and 'you know that I know' the usefulness of HDRI.

That's why I was pointing out the need for some 'exposure' control, and asking how people picture the implementation.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Hi Steve,

hehehehehe, I know
    Just playing to the house

I also should bring up such things as LUTS including 3D LUTS with saveble XML files...along with Gamut, and Profiles...of monitors along with Origination material and distribution materials....

But all that's another story

Cheers,
    Ray Adams

I agree with the need for exposure controls...along with Gamma.

I would also like to see blacks, whites and a mid point control...at least something that can be setup in preferences..then modified later per file.
    along with presets that could be used while loading in material..or added like looks to materials...

Oh wait...there I go again...looks are another story

hehehehehehe

Cheers,
    Ray Adams

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Oh wait...there I go again...looks are another story
    Plugable modules

Cheers,
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast