Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LW_OpenEXR support

Quote Originally Posted by radams View Post
    I also should bring up such things as LUTS including 3D LUTS with saveble XML files...along with Gamut, and Profiles...of monitors along with Origination material and distribution materials....
    No you shouldn't.

A LUT was my own first thought, but I think if I had my 'druthers' for something simple, maybe gamma and a histo ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    No you shouldn't.

A LUT was my own first thought, but I think if I had my 'druthers' for something simple, maybe gamma and a histo ...
    HEHEHEHE...

Well we'll still need LUTS for setting up our systems properly...but I agree that gamma with a histo...with at least three points as I stated earlier would work great...but then we will also need to be able to set this up in preferences...along with having the ability to control it with in the control tree...and to setup preset level exposures...or looks that can be added when loading the material....

Oh man is this SO over due....

There are so many options with an OpenEXR workflow...

FYI, I like how iridas used LUT XML based files...that are simple and portable. it just makes so much sense...for system setups and colabration...along with calibration...and everything is NON destructive

Which I would like to use actually within SE...

even better....oh yeah !!!

Cheers,
    Last edited by radams; 04-08-2009 at 08:38 AM.
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    What exactly do you guys see the final display being for all of these great color nuances?

Based on what I see, the LCD TVs that people have today are less accurate than NTSC CRT tubes. Especially with all the custom controls and lack of calibration.

Color accuracy has been going downhill for a while now. Even some of the highest end monitors are still using a simulation of the SMPTE C phosphors, which are the WRONG color primaries for Rec. 709! Not to mention the wrong coefficient matrixes!

Being accurate with nuances of color is a great goal, but who's actually going to see it?
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioProd View Post
    What exactly do you guys see the final display being for all of these great color nuances?

Based on what I see, the LCD TVs that people have today are less accurate than NTSC CRT tubes. Especially with all the custom controls and lack of calibration.

Color accuracy has been going downhill for a while now. Even some of the highest end monitors are still using a simulation of the SMPTE C phosphors, which are the WRONG color primaries for Rec. 709! Not to mention the wrong coefficient matrixes!

Being accurate with nuances of color is a great goal, but who's actually going to see it?
    Good Questions...and comments...

Thou to be honest OpenEXR isn't about nuances....it is about the best raw format to work and push your material in...being able to set contrast and colors you can't do anyway else...then having that rendered out or played out to ANY display giving the best that materials can be seen on that display....

It's about control of the entire image...

A production done in a OpenEXR workflow...would allow the director, editor, etc....to do things not possible in standard workflows....completely change looks and direct the viewers attention to the material & story.

The ability to integrate computer based elements, FX with location footage would be greatly improved...

So, don't think of Open EXR as nuances...it is a substantial workflow that gives the most options and control to any production.

As for gamut and color accuracy on displays...that is a seperate issue all together...but putting the best possible image together as your master...will still only help to show the best image and story telling on any display....

Cheers,
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    If SE did support OpenEXR, how do you envision it working? How do other 8bit apps deal with import? I expect some at least minimal exposure controls would be required. Would these properly be placed at Clip Properties level, pre-import? Elsewhere? What optional properties do you think would be necessary? Gamma, obviously ... what else? Do any apps use a histogram for this?
    Have you tried the free OpenEXR plugin for Photoshop?
    If I remember well it could set blackpoint, gamma and whitepoint before opening as an 8-bit image in Photoshop.
    It seemed to be a part of that EXR plugin - not related to Adobe software.

Check out http://www.openexr.com/downloads.html

There is a FREE plugin download available for photoshop on win32 and OS X.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12