Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: So what's up with the Cook Torrance shader?

Pitifully not. But fortunately we have DP_LightGroup.
    Thank you again, Denis!

Gerardo

It always makes me sad when you come in to a thread to check on a long standing bug, and, of course, it hasn't been fixed

Hmmmmmm.... it's a sad day!

This is why I struggle sometimes... I try and make something with my nodes, and always put it down to user error if I can't get something to work, when you guys are different, you are so clever you know what it should be doing, and blame the software because it's at fault!

Shame it hasn't been fixed!! Do many shader bugs get fixed at the mo? Antti is probably hard at work on CORE's nodal stuff!!!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

oh corks
    Umm... has anybody ever tried the AS Shader Node Blinn/Phong/CookTorrance/OrenNayar/Lambert plugin from this page?

http://www.neko.ne.jp/~asagi/P2P/Plugins/lay.html

Or to put it another way: Hey! Try this!
    Last edited by stiff paper; 05-02-2011 at 07:41 AM.

President, the LightWave Group robpowers3d's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chunderburger View Post
    can anyone at nt read this and please fix. rob/matt/chuck/lino?
    We are aware of this and are looking into it.
    Rob Powers

President, NewTek LightWave 3D Group
    Burbank, CA

Quote Originally Posted by robpowers3d View Post
    We are aware of this and are looking into it.
    Good news... and thanks for the reassurance. Always great to hear that old issues are being looked into!

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

Traitor
    Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Good news... and thanks for the reassurance. Always great to hear that old issues are being looked into!
    Some NT folks were nice enough to take time out of their very busy schedule to look at this issue (including putting up with my very rusty matrix math skills) for a number of hours one night not too long ago.

(I wanted to give kudos to NT where it was warranted)
    Last edited by mattc; 05-03-2011 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattc View Post
    Some NT folks were nice enough to take time out of their very busy schedule to look at this issue (including putting up with my very rusty matrix math skills) for a number of hours one night not too long ago.

(I wanted to give kudos to NT where it was warranted)
    Good stuff... and thanks to both you and Newtek for spending hours on the things like this!! It's very valuable... and shows, again and again, what a great community we have here!

Thanks!!

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

Fantastic news Rob, glad this is being looked into. it's one of a number of niggles in the renderer which need resolving to achieve realism. Thanks to the Newtek Staff!

oh corks
    So... nobody is actually interested enough in having working specular shaders that they've even bothered to try the node I linked to?

Huh.

Traitor
    I think everyone is interested in getting the included nodes working....not to say a 3rd party node isn't useful or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardboard View Post
    So... nobody is actually interested enough in having working specular shaders that they've even bothered to try the node I linked to?

Huh.
    Not interested enough to bother circumventing the fact that I got blocked from the website by some content filter bullmanure.
    Are my spline guides showing?

I haven't tested it, but tbh, I don't really bother much with spec as a rule these days. It has it's uses, but I got a bit sick of fighting it, so I haven't bothered for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Cardboard View Post

Huh.
    Don't know if you have even bothered to try the node you linked to, but at least here, the Cook-Torrance and Phong models don't provide correct results in their backlighting distribution. The effect is interesting (and might be used for some rim lighting effects) but the thing is that their highlight distribution and intensities in backlighting is not consistent with the direction of the incoming light according to the direction of the viewer.

We suppose that the farther we measure from the center of the highlight, the lesser will be the intensity of the highlight; but the Cook-Torrance node and Phong node (as well as their shader versions) don't behave as expected. There, the back highlight intensities are higher than the center of the highlight, besides, the light is reflected in angles where the surface normal is not oriented between the direction of incoming light and the direction of the viewer (specular highlight spreads in a 180° range). Both cases don't represent the specular reflection of real materials. This odd behavior can not be excused by a fresnel effect and it can't be solved with their highlight/IOR parameters (the highlight parameter is not present in the shader and none of these parameters are present in the Phong model where the situation is more acute).

Options are always welcome, but for more predictable results and more extensive usages, I prefer the LightGroup node from Denis Pontonnier

Gerardo

evil bump, was the bug fixed?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast