Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maya style navigation in CORE?

Newbie Member

Maya style navigation in CORE?

Yeah that's my only request for CORE so far, Maya style navigation because i can't stand the LW one. There should be a preference for this in CORE if you want to grab user outside of the LW community.

second that, and i'd ask for several options for navigatgion style either, and for mouse buttons assignment too.

Maya navigation stile just fits better for my hands. 1 key 3 mouse buttons.

another navigation style i like is Zbrush navigation style, in wich you can rotate the model freely, and snap it in side, top, front, whatever view hitting shift when object is near to that POV. its great for working with a tablet.
    Last edited by Nemoid; 02-15-2009 at 06:06 AM.
    Nemoid | Illustrator | 3D artist
    .::Creating for you::.

Co-founder of

www.lwita.com italian/english Lw forum

Quote Originally Posted by Nemoid View Post
    another navigation style i like is Zbrush navigation style, in wich you can rotate the model freely, and snap it in side, top, front, whatever view hitting shift when object is near to that POV. its great for working with a tablet.
    lol, this made my day.

If there is a app no one should mimic its shortcuts and navigation style, than its most def Zbrush. It has by far the worst shortcuts and workflow of any 3d app on the market out there.

///

:agree: The navigation was one of the only things I liked about Maya when I used it years ago.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by G M D THREE View Post
    lol, this made my day.

If there is a app no one should mimic its shortcuts and navigation style, than its most def Zbrush. It has by far the worst shortcuts and workflow of any 3d app on the market out there.

///
    laugh as you want, but for me is awesome, especially with tablet
    Nemoid | Illustrator | 3D artist
    .::Creating for you::.

Co-founder of

www.lwita.com italian/english Lw forum

I'd like to see CORE completely customisable with options to mimic Maya, XSI and Max etc as presets.
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18493&dateline=130857  4707

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    And it only took 3 posts to show that a customizeable interface is the way to go.

(and add 3D connexion support too.... )
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

laugh as you want, but for me is awesome, especially with tablet
    ZBrush Nav for scultping, not comparable to Nav in a subpatch/poly modeling with a mouse imo. ZB Nav is just fine and dandy when sculpting with a pen.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Quote Originally Posted by pooby View Post
    I'd like to see CORE completely customisable with options to mimic Maya, XSI and Max etc as presets.
    Yeah, I would go this way too though I'm pretty comfortable in modeler.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Newbie Member
    It sounds like Core will be very customizable. I was reading the tech specs in the Core site and it seems Core may have some XSI ICE-like capabilities. I am drawing my own conclusions here, but that's what I get. I like where Lightwave is heading. I watched some of the reveal and Newtek has the right idea. I'm excited.

Oh, and add another vote for options to set up navigation however you want with presets to match competitor's software regardless of what it is.

second that, and i'd ask for several options for navigatgion style either, and for mouse buttons assignment too.

Maya navigation stile just fits better for my hands. 1 key 3 mouse buttons.

:agree:

custom keys are the way to go and then be able to save them as reloadable themes

i really like zbrush viewport navigation for sculpting and also the brushes too

maya nav for usual 3d duties and maybe some sort of hotbox via spacebar or something similar so we can hid the whole u.i and still get to ANY manue within core like you can in maya with the hotbox.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    :agree:

custom keys are the way to go and then be able to save them as reloadable themes

i really like zbrush viewport navigation for sculpting and also the brushes too

maya nav for usual 3d duties and maybe some sort of hotbox via spacebar or something similar so we can hid the whole u.i and still get to ANY manue within core like you can in maya with the hotbox.
    The Maya hotbox is patented so you can't really copy it. I would just prefer a universal context menu ala Mirai/Nendo/Wings3D or just allow the users to customize the right click menu. Here is what Mirai context menu looks like:

You can see that each tool has left, middle and right mouse button, in the example it's the extrude tool. Being able to define those L,M,B for a specific tool would be awesome. You can access anything from rendering,rigging,etc thru other context menu.

Pre-selection highlighting would be a time saver also ala Mirai:

This is important because you don't have to move your mouse all the way to reach a element(vertex,edge,polygon). You then can perform modeling task on the highlighted element.
    Last edited by Sonk; 02-15-2009 at 04:23 PM.

hotbox patened>>yeah that's why 3dsmax [before autodesk owned maya] went with righthand click quad menu's...lightwave core could also do something similar so not to infringe on patents.

pre selection hilighting is already in core btw..see the video!
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post

pre selection hilighting is already in core btw..see the video!

I watched it again but i do not see any pre selection highlighting going on, i do see him selecting polygons which turns them yellow-orange.

Modo has this feature but it's implemented wrong.

Back in the days of SoftImage 3D (pre XSI) for translation, scale and rotation, you'd have the right tool selected, and then Left mouse button worked exclusively on the X axis, middle button on Y, and right button on Z.

That worked very well indeed and became very natural.
    BRACE MEDIA
    Ensuring every picture tells your story.

New Brace Media website

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast