Thread: new lwsn Controller

new lwsn Controller

Hi all. I have decided to share my "in progress"render farm controller with all who are interested.

lwsn Controller is a render farm controller that I developed using Python to provide a lot more flexibility than Layout provides. It features the ability to add or shut down render nodes without disturbing the other nodes still rendering. You can add or delete scenes to the controller while processing continues or even modify which frames to render. You can assign specific nodes to specific scenes and change assignments or use auto-assign during processing.

I call this beta software as it has only been tested by myself as yet although I have been using it with Lightwave 9.3, 9.5 and 9.6 and Vista 64-bit for several months without problems. That said, it is a work-in-progress and some features are incomplete; notably the estimated time to completion isn't right yet. I include an experimental screamer net remote starter that seems to work fine but hasn't been thoroughly tested.

This requires Python be installed on your computer and you must have a working screamernet setup. It was developed using Python 2.5 but 2.4 through 2.6 should also work. lwsn Controller is provided free to use and is open source. When you find a bug or want to make a suggestion please contact me but don't expect anything to happen very fast.

This is also posted in the community section.
    I don't proposed offering much support beyond a few messages back and forth.
    Last edited by jgutwin; 02-13-2009 at 11:59 AM.
    John Gutwin
    Pepperchrome

Cheers! Looks good!
    "There can be no true beauty without decay." --Latin proverb. Nothing digital is beautiful?
    Our new movie is here: http://epistrophypictures.com

Quote Originally Posted by jgutwin View Post
    Hi all. I have decided to share my "in progress"render farm controller with all who are interested.
    Nice! What graphics library are you using?

Thank you very much. Im going to check it out now!

Quote Originally Posted by lordtangent View Post
    Nice! What graphics library are you using?
    If you mean for the user interface, it is the default included with every distribution of Python - tkinter. Not the prettiest but easy for those new to Python.
    John Gutwin
    Pepperchrome

Thankyou I will give this a shot and see how she runs!

I tried using this today and I have to say, I'm baffled. I tried to edit the lwsnController_config.pyc file but since you didn't give any instructions I haven't had any success. I use SN all the time with the built in controller.
    "There can be no true beauty without decay." --Latin proverb. Nothing digital is beautiful?

Well I realized that I was editing the wrong file. There are two with almost identical names. So I did get it running but then I couldn't figure out how to start the render.

How to get it running

So I did get it running but then I couldn't figure out how to start the render.
    When you click Add Scenes it reads the scene file and checks if or which files are already rendered. If you are testing it out you may have already rendered the scene completely. The scene indicator would be blue in that case. You can force it to overwrite some previously rendered files by putting one or more frame numbers in the entry box just right of the 'force frame' button.

You also have to release the node by either clicking the auto assign check box (recommended) or explicitly assigning it to the scene number you want that node to work on. If you have multiple scenes auto assign will move through them all, an explicit assignment would have to be manually reassigned.

Thank you for trying it out. I hope it becomes useful to you.
    John Gutwin
    Pepperchrome