Thread: Customer logo

Customer logo

I would like to be able to scan a customer's logo shape and pull it into 3D Arsenal like in the demo of the NewTek logo. I understand that Arsenal likes Illustrator ver 8.0 for this process. I'm running a Mac Pro with OS X 10.4....
    I also understand that AI8 won't run on my computer. What can be done to accomplish capturing my customer's logo shape?

Newer versions of Illustrator will run on the Mac. Under the SAVE AS function you select 8.0 as your desired option.

Let's say I got hold of Illustrator...and I have a customer logo with a particular shape. Illustrator will allow me to scan in the logo and illustrator will do a conversion to a vector shape? Once the shape is imported into 3DA, I've seen the demo of how to clean up the shape. If the logo has an image on it, how can that image be correctly applied to the face of the imported logo along with reflections and such?

oops!
    Last edited by bbailey; 02-13-2009 at 08:40 AM.

I would also recommend inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/download/?lang=en). It's a pretty good open source illustrator clone.

Just to be clear, by 'SCAN' i believe you mean 'TRACE' - if you are googling tutorials etc. you'll need the right terminology.

I've never used it, but I tried it and made a quick screenshot (see attached), seems to do an ok job (always more difficult with photos). Remember to select 'color', then the number of passes will be the number of colours it will try to detect ...

Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1.png 
Views:	229 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	69776  
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

Are you saying that Illustrator doesn't have a way to convert a bitmap shape into a vector shape? I thought LightWave had a tracing setup. I was trying to avoid having to do that by getting a close approximation of a shape using Illustrator?

The newer versions of Illustrator do. It's called Live Trace. It works pretty well as long as you have a pretty good resolution file of the original art.

Kris

Boost the colour difference in photoshop first, if your logo has similar colours you want to separate.

And download Inkscape damnit! It's free, already. Am I talking to myself?

I did download the Inkscape program but when I tried to initialize it I got a question as to where X11 was. I googled X11 and decided it might be more trouble thaan it's worth. Am I wrong? Did I not get the right program? I appreciate your suggestion but It didn't work. I expected to be able to launch Inkscape and go to work.

If you want to run Inkscape or Gimp (the open source photoshop - i would also recommend it), then yes, X11 is most likely required.
    It is geared towards developers making continuous updates to programming projects on multiple platforms, and not having to go through huge re-coding for each OS (from what I understand).
    X11 is an official Apple application, in case you are worried about that ..
    http://developer.apple.com/opensource/tools/X11.html

In any case, I have definately found it to be worth it, for both applications, even though I have all adobe apps (CS3).

There is a program out the called vector magic that will convert 2D images to vector.
    You still need illustrator to save it as ill 8 format as vector magic will save cs3.

http://vectormagic.com/home
    Don Ballance
    Director of Training for NewTek
    Co-creator of Newtek's Award Winning 3D Arsenal

[email protected]