Thread: Educational Version no longer works well

Newbie Member

Educational Version no longer works well

I have the LW 7.5/3DA educational version. When the either LW or Modeler comes up it says 'Discovery Edition". It has been about a year since I have really used this. When doing 3D text using EZ Text in Modeler, the program basically has very little functioality. Every function attempted, i.e sizer, save object etc. encounters and error which states "Discovery edition only allows 400 Pts in a layer"

About a year ago, I prepared an animation and effects demo for the film dept of our local college where I used significantly more text and never ran into such an issue. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? How is it remedied?

Thanks

This sounds like you need to have your dongle plugged in and make sure LightWave is registered. The dongle is the small plastic plug that looks like a thumb drive that goes into your usb port. LightWave runs in Discovery mode when it is not registered or the dongle is not present as a demo mode.

If you have issues or have misplaced your dongle please call our customer service staff at 800-862-7837 and they will help you.
    Don Ballance
    Director of Training for NewTek
    Co-creator of Newtek's Award Winning 3D Arsenal

[email protected]

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Ballance View Post
    This sounds like you need to have your dongle plugged in and make sure LightWave is registered. The dongle is the small plastic plug that looks like a thumb drive that goes into your usb port. LightWave runs in Discovery mode when it is not registered or the dongle is not present as a demo mode.

If you have issues or have misplaced your dongle please call our customer service staff at 800-862-7837 and they will help you.
    Thanks for the reply. I was negligent to mention that the dongle is plugged in and the green LED is on. I have moved to a new computer and wanted to get LW/3DA installed on this computer. During install, I kept getting a message about the driver for the dongle driver which stated something like: "There is a newer version of the sentinel driver available" the install prompted me to install the "upgrade". In fact I could not continue without the upgrade. It warned that if the upgrade process was interrupted then there would be no driver on the computer since the uninstall was performed first. Then a few seconds into the install, an error message was encountered which canceled the install.

I finally installed the driver from sentinel's website. I think it was 7.5. It was the one which was compatible with Vista. When the dongle is inserted into the compter now I get the familiar tone followed by a window describing that Windows has to install the driver which gets successfully completed. Still LW and Modeler come up in Discovery Mode.

Sorry about the lengthy explantion but that is what is going on.

Mnay Thanks for your help

Jeff Deuitch
    Palmetto, FL

Newbie Member

Problem solved

Thanks for the help. Got the problem solved. Reinstalled LW and 3DA and reinstalled latest Sentinel driver.

Nice when things suddenly "work" for mysterious reasons. Usually the reverse is the case.

Regards.

Jeff Deuitch
    Palmetto, FL

Blog Entries
    Good old Microsoft more unstable that a drunken horse...