Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is LightWave dead ?

Is LightWave dead ?

Well...
    The original LightWave's fathers left years ago and create another child, called Modo...
    NewTek kept LightWave and as a step father helped it raise and become a formidable application, up till version 9...

Now, NewTek is moving beyond, by creating a new application called LightWave Core, which as it seems so far, the only common thing with LightWave, is the name and three fundamental points that made LightWave what it is: easy of use, quality renderer and a certain type of workflow, we all used to work...

But, maybe with the exception of the renderer, the other two factors are just generalized ideas, which can be applied in numerous different ways and that lead to think that LightWave Core is not LightWave...

Of course, that doesn't matter at all, because LightWave Core will be all those things LightWave could never be, so yes; let's burn it to the ground and let it rise from it's ashes...
    If that's the case, then i'm good with LightWave's "death"...

Still, there's a sad feeling in the air, isn't it... ?
    Just thinking out loud, that's all...
    Last edited by Gregg "T.Rex"; 02-07-2009 at 11:37 AM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg "T.Rex" View Post
    Now, NewTek is moving beyond, by creating a new application called LightWave Core, which as it seems so far, the only common thing with LightWave 9, is the name and three fundamental points that made LightWave what it is: easy of use, quality renderer and a certain type of workflow, we all used to work...
    Naw, LightWave has returned to us as "LightWave the White." New form, vastly upgraded powers, and you kinda have to get to know him all over again.

Jen's 3D -- LightWave stuff.
    Jen's 2D -- my comic book.

Python is my smashing board. LightWave is my S.M.A.K.

Quote Originally Posted by Celshader View Post
    Naw, LightWave has returned to us as "LightWave the White." New form, vastly upgraded powers, and you kinda have to get to know him all over again.

Gandalf rocks!

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Interesting view but valid.
    Personally, I hope it never loses the name Lightwave but then again, I can get used to a new name as long as it does more for me

Man that like retiring the old and bringing in the new........
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Yes, I understand, I'm currently feeling the same thing, because I still don't know if I'll retrieve Lightwave in Core. Will I be able to find back my workflow like in Lightwave? But that kind of question could only be answered with video or with by playing with Core.

All I hope, is that every Lightwaver will fill like home with core

(ha!ha! Celshader, very nice comparison! )

Quote Originally Posted by Celshader View Post
    Naw, LightWave has returned to us as "LightWave the White."
    See, that's the best analogy. LightWave is still LightWave - for proof, just look at how many times has NewTek mentioned that it will still be familiar. Besides, if the UI is as flexible as they've lead on to, then we should be able to revert it back to 9.x in workflow and look. Not that I would want to do that, even for a moment.

I might want to revert back to 5.x, just for old times sake!

Make Your Films Effective DiscreetFX's Avatar
    LightWave 3D will be around for at least a few more million years.
    DiscreetFX Team
    http://www.discreetfx.com
    Making Your Digital Films More Effective!

Master of the Yard!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregg "t.rex" View Post
    is lightwave dead?...

...just thinking out loud, that's all...

no!!!

:-)
    Less clicking!

/.\\
    Al Mejias

I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty. Fill it up cause I'm still thirsty.

If I order pizza and I get filet mignon, I'll still want pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    LightWave is still LightWave - for proof, just look at how many times has NewTek mentioned that it will still be familiar.
    This is what I was thinking, I can't say for sure, but many of the tools may work the same way we expect them to. There will be many of the old tools like Bandsaw Pro which are unique to LW. Many of the panels may be laid out the same way. The whole concept of the numeric panel may still be there. I'm sure once we get inside and have a look around it will feel almost just like home.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

As long as it had "Eagle in a Barrel" it will still be lightwave!
    Woo Woo, back on the Turnip Truck!!

gotta move forward...sometimes even the very best buggy whip on earth will be replaced with a car at some point...yeah i know REALLY bad example...but ya get me yeah?

it WILL be different...that you can be sure of.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Product names have absolutely zero to do with the actual product.

Take cars as an example, every 3-4 years cars go through a minor revision then every 5-6 they get complete redesigns. When they get redesigned, virtually nothing is the same as the previous car except the name and the company that manufactures them yet people accept that it is the same car. They even use the performance, safety, and reliability of the previous car as an indicator of how the new car will perform when it has nothing to do with it at all.

Product names only exist for marketing. They don't change often becasue that would confuse and scare customers but names have nothing to do with the actual product.
    -Joshua Jorgensen

They are still going to work on it so we might end up with LW9.7 or 9.8

What they could do is turn it into the lite version, strip the export formats to one each. Say, obj for files, QT mpg4 compressed movie for the web, Photoshop format with alpha for single images etc. and nothing else.

Oh...yes, make it free once the Core is super stable

Kuzey

Well, it's like a football team.
    The guys who were in the team 25 years ago are all gone now and the entire team and staff and manager are all new guys, but it's still the 'same' team as far as fans are concerned.

It will be interesting in q4 which app 'feels' more like LW to people, modo or core. I'm not saying it's a bad or good thing, only that the new dev's of Lw may go in a direction that is different than what the crew at lux came up with originally for LW, and may have preserved in modo. I don't care either way, I'll use both if their good.... but it is an interesting question.
    my personal company: http://www.elementvfx.com
    the people I've worked for: http://www.theembassyvfx.com

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast