Quote Originally Posted by jay3d View Post
    goto here :
    http://forums.luxology.com/discussio...id=4223&page=1
    In the modo forums
    Stuart Ferguson said in 2005:
    Thanks!

from quarks to voxels mosconariz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doimus View Post
    Hmm... version numbers.... is CORE actually LW Core 10.0 or are we re-starting from 1.0?

(Not that it has any relevance, but the bean-counter in me is curious.)

Yeap, I have been wondering the same question...

or

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mosconariz View Post
    Yeap, I have been wondering the same question...

or

Cheers,
    Mike

Or does it have no number at all like Photoshop CS, it's just "CORE". Although I believe Photoshop CS was technically 8.0 if you looked at the About screen. Then the next version Core 2, then Core 2 Duo, then... wait I don't think that will work.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

I've noticed no one from Newtek refers to Core as LW 10... I'm worried Core = XSI 1.0... new technology, sparse on features. Even comes with LW 9.6 like XSI 1.0 came with Softimage 3.9 cuz XSI 1.0 didnt have a polygon modeling toolset. Notice that the LWO format is still supported in Core . It took till XSI 3 for Soft to be feature competitive with Maya. Hope I'm wrong but it seems very early days, even still in the conceptual stages from what we've seen and read, or should I say have not seen and can't yet be shown. I've been using LW 10 yrs now, and want NT to succeed, I truly hope they are further along than my mind is telling me.
    Last edited by kfinla; 02-12-2009 at 11:04 PM.

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kfinla View Post
    I've noticed no one from Newtek refers to Core as LW 10...
    I'm sure I heard something about them saying LW10 was not going to be an 'incarnation', which makes sense really as CORE is apparently so different in it's architecture that going with a new name tag drives that point home.
    Too old to die young.

if you look at computer games, you might find that for example GTA, it was a 2d, top-down game in its first versions, and a 3d fps in the latest games.

it still continues under the name GTA, GTA2. GTA 3. GTA 4 and so on, even if it obviously is a totally different game and has completely rewritten code.

you may find less dramatic changes in the Doom and Unreal fps series..they too changed the code once or twice and kept going under the same name.

in all games i just named, you will still recognice that it is still the same game, just much improved...the basic idea and the feeling is still there, the things you did in the earlier versions are still doable in the later versions.
    i believe CORE will be just like that...it can be called LW 10; CORE, or LW CORE 1, or just CORE 1, or Newtek CORE, or HARDCORE; members only.

the name is not all too important, as long it is familiar enough to its userbase...as long we do not need to relearn how to draw a box, as long we do not need to learn new keyboard shortcuts (specially F9 needs to have its original function)..the name is, as i said less important than the "feeling" it gives.

Yup, thus I think why Lightwave Core and not some brad new brand as it were.
    One, a brand name change isn't going to sway people thinking "oh, it's not Lightwave anymore so..." and two, those who feel some brand recognition in the name will not feel as sure about a whole new name. Even though, as you say, it is just that, a name, funny things us humans.
    Too old to die young.

Yeah, CORE could be just a name tag, like CS, XP, 2000 or all that stuff that got associated to software when they crossed into the high version numbers. It's interesting that Microsoft is reverting back to number versions but using it at the same time as a brand, with Win 7.

Or it could symbolize the fresh start like XSI. It works either way.

But I miss the old days when even games came with geeky version numbers. My fav being Falcon 3.0

[QUOTE=Gregg "T.Rex";828439] Now, NewTek is moving beyond, by creating a new application called LightWave Core, which as it seems so far, the only common thing with LightWave, is the name and three fundamental points that made LightWave what it is: easy of use, quality renderer and a certain type of workflow, we all used to work... [/wuote]

The failure of this concept of rewriting the code. Is NewTek really writing all new code for the tool sets, or is this rewrite simple substitution of verbiage based on the requirements of the new coding system? This industry has a tendency to exaggerate/hype as completely new coding when in fact it is just a side shift evolutionary step of changing over to a different coding system.

But, maybe with the exception of the renderer, the other two factors are just generalized ideas, which can be applied in numerous different ways and that lead to think that LightWave Core is not LightWave...
    I doubt very much NewTek is throwing away all of the coding gains of the 9.x series for a completely new coding of Lightwave core. The reality probably is that much of the foundation for the change is already in the 9. x series. Remember NewTek stated, in writing, that they've been reviewing Core's coding system for 2 years before any test code was produced.

Of course, that doesn't matter at all, because LightWave Core will be all those things LightWave could never be, so yes; let's burn it to the ground and let it rise from it's ashes...
    If that's the case, then i'm good with LightWave's "death"...

Still, there's a sad feeling in the air, isn't it... ?
    Just thinking out loud, that's all...
    Some of you guys need to come up for air death of lightwave? rising from the ashes? With this kind of talk floating around the forums NewTek would do the rest of us a service by explaining, over the next few months, just how much of core is rewrite 9.x tool sets and what is really new coding in lightwave core. Luke, Luke use the force.

Personally, I can completely buy into the concept that they have written from the ground up. sometimes, as a coder, it really is far easier to do than to try and retro-fit existing code into new ideas. I've done it myself time and again, not saying 100% of the code needs to be brand new, but if they've moved from C to C++ then I'd say there would be very little that hasn't been done.
    Too old to die young.

As for the Official name of Core, I think naming it "Lightwave X" would not be a terrible choice. After all, it actually IS version ten of the Lightwave product. (Or the "3D" product from Newtek, however you want to think of it) . After "X" the version numbers could then go up like X.1.0, X.2.1, etc. (10.1.0, 10.2.1, etc!)

I think for Newtek to completely divorce the new package from the Lightwave brand would be a mistake. The only danger of continuing to associate Core with "Lightwave" might be that people familiar with the old product mistake Core for the older klugey versions of LW. But the counter argument to that is a new unproven 3D tool with no track record is a hard sell also! (which describes Core! I'm amazed how even LW users are skeptical ) Newtek has to walk a fine line and associate Core with Lightwaves successes while simultaneously making it clear that Core is a completely new system. It's a job for a marketing guru really. But if I were them, I would definitly be sure to make it clear which parts of Core that have a direct R&D lineage from LW. (Not necessarily the same identical CODE... but an R&D lineage) For example rendering. I'm sure that much of the rendering technology will just get moved over into Core. So (assuming this is the case... I don't know!) make it clear that Cores renderer is actually Lightwaves legendary renderer. And for those who don't follow LW, (anyone OUTSIDE the LW community) be sure to re-announce the 9.5 and 9.6 render improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by colkai View Post
    Personally, I can completely buy into the concept that they have written from the ground up. sometimes, as a coder, it really is far easier to do than to try and retro-fit existing code into new ideas. I've done it myself time and again, not saying 100% of the code needs to be brand new, but if they've moved from C to C++ then I'd say there would be very little that hasn't been done.
    Sounds reasonable, so NewTek shouldn't have any problem explaining some of the changes until the release of core. that way those of us not in the membership can have a fuller understanding of maybe why we should have a membership. I think someone on the Lux modcast said it best "if you're heavy invested into lightwave already then $395.00-495.00 is reasonable." NewTek has three types of customers interested in core. The heavy invested in lightwave. The interested customer who has, or may not, have lightwave, but hasn't reached the point that switching software is a major investment. the third is the 3D package junkie that runs around the Internet, knows more about every program then most and isn't happy unless their is a new package/upgrade somewhere on the Internet to down load.

I'm the number 2 customer, not heavy invested in lightwave, or any other package. Because I'm the number 2 customer I want to know what core will do for me the others will not, and why this technology will be a better investment then the other package. If core is really a complete rewrite - NewTek - Help me understand how and why.

Quote Originally Posted by lordtangent View Post
    As for the Official name of Core, I think naming it "Lightwave X" would not be a terrible choice. After all, it actually IS version ten of the Lightwave product. (Or the "3D" product from Newtek, however you want to think of it) . After "X" the version numbers could then go up like X.1.0, X.2.1, etc. (10.1.0, 10.2.1, etc!)

I think for Newtek to completely divorce the new package from the Lightwave brand would be a mistake. The only danger of continuing to associate Core with "Lightwave" might be that people familiar with the old product mistake Core for the older klugey versions of LW. But the counter argument to that is a new unproven 3D tool with no track record is a hard sell also! (which describes Core! I'm amazed how even LW users are skeptical ) Newtek has to walk a fine line and associate Core with Lightwaves successes while simultaneously making it clear that Core is a completely new system. It's a job for a marketing guru really. But if I were them, I would definitly be sure to make it clear which parts of Core that have a direct R&D lineage from LW. (Not necessarily the same identical CODE... but an R&D lineage) For example rendering. I'm sure that much of the rendering technology will just get moved over into Core. So (assuming this is the case... I don't know!) make it clear that Cores renderer is actually Lightwaves legendary renderer. And for those who don't follow LW, (anyone OUTSIDE the LW community) be sure to re-announce the 9.5 and 9.6 render improvements.
    It could be named core because like Softimage XSI and Softimage the two had nothing in common at the coding level. Just like 3D Studio became 3D Studio Max when it went from dos menu driven to Windows GUI.

Quote Originally Posted by frantbk View Post
    It could be named core because like Softimage XSI and Softimage the two had nothing in common at the coding level. Just like 3D Studio became 3D Studio Max when it went from dos menu driven to Windows GUI.
    Exactly what I was thinking too. Core is to Lightwave what XSI is to Softimage and what Max is to 3D Studio. Let us not forget that Power Animator was reborn as Maya in the same general way all the other products were but it didn't follow the tack on naming convention and instead the old name scrapped in favor of a new name.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast