Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is LightWave dead ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_RB View Post
    It will be interesting in q4 which app 'feels' more like LW to people, modo or core. I'm not saying it's a bad or good thing, only that the new dev's of Lw may go in a direction that is different than what the crew at lux came up with originally for LW, and may have preserved in modo. I don't care either way, I'll use both if their good.... but it is an interesting question.
    Indeed, I think the current LW team has a much different vision for LW than the original team had. I think that's what excites me most about Core. LW, while a great application, got caught up in poor workflows that just didn't make sense in some situations. These were carried down the line from the original LW. Where the old LW would force you to do things a particular way, it seems this new direction means people will be able to choose how they do things.

I think modo brought a great improvement to the old LW workflow, but from the demo's I've tried, it still lacks the flexibility a modern application should have. It's insanely capable at what it does well, yes. In the end, though, it still seems to suffer from the "one size/workflow fits all" fault the original LW had (though perhaps not to the same extreme). Luxology could very well could prove me wrong with this - but they haven't yet.

Core is aiming to prove that the old way of thinking was wrong: and as long as modo is unable to be flexible enough to display their scene data as nodes, layers, graphs, etc - all at the push of a button, then they will fall into the same trap that LW fell into a long while back.

thats a very good point Mike..
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18493&dateline=130857  4707

Lightwave is dead, long live Lightwave!!

but yes, this is definetly a new application, built from scratch..as long as i find my way in it, ill be fine with it......

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    I think modo brought a great improvement to the old LW workflow, but from the demo's I've tried, it still lacks the flexibility a modern application should have. It's insanely capable at what it does well, yes. In the end, though, it still seems to suffer from the "one size/workflow fits all" fault the original LW had (though perhaps not to the same extreme). Luxology could very well could prove me wrong with this - but they haven't yet.

Core is aiming to prove that the old way of thinking was wrong: and as long as modo is unable to be flexible enough to display their scene data as nodes, layers, graphs, etc - all at the push of a button, then they will fall into the same trap that LW fell into a long while back.
    This is spot on. But I'm selfish, I'd rather see core turn into a technical juggernaught like houdini, poor 'artist' workflow and all if it means I can have the power. Of course I'd rather have both, the artsy side sitting on top of houdini power. Cool stuff ahead.
    my personal company: http://www.elementvfx.com
    the people I've worked for: http://www.theembassyvfx.com

Of course I'd rather have both, the artsy side sitting on top of houdini power. Cool stuff ahead.
    That's EXACTLY what I'm hoping for.

That and 'Lightwave the white'

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg "T.Rex" View Post
    Of course, that doesn't matter at all, because LightWave Core will be all those things LightWave could never be, so yes; let's burn it to the ground and let it rise from it's ashes...
    If that's the case, then i'm good with LightWave's "death"...

Still, there's a sad feeling in the air, isn't it... ?
    Just thinking out loud, that's all...
    Heheh cool perspective but then again we could say that this is VIDEOSCAPE CORE and that Lightwave never existed anyway - right ?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg "T.Rex" View Post
    Now, NewTek is moving beyond, by creating a new application called LightWave Core, which as it seems so far, the only common thing with LightWave, is the name and three fundamental points that made LightWave what it is: easy of use, quality renderer and a certain type of workflow, we all used to work...
    You missed another key thing that makes Lightwave, Lightwave. The community surrounding it. I don't post a lot, but that is becuase I almost always find someone else has already asked the same question and had it answered by the great community here.

That I think will continue with Lightwave the White (love the analogy).

RC

I think this will turn out great:
    Think of Softimage- they did a rewrite and went dark for years, came up with xsi and practically had to start from scratch with their business. Userbase gone, no reputation, replaced by other software. They haven't recovered up to old glory to the present day.
    Newtek made a parallel changeover: They are also rewriting the software, but a big community backs them up. They won't have to start anew. If CORE can deliver what's on paper, this will be a rocket.

mike
    If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold.

This is spot on. But I'm selfish, I'd rather see core turn into a technical juggernaught like houdini, poor 'artist' workflow and all if it means I can have the power. Of course I'd rather have both, the artsy side sitting on top of houdini power. Cool stuff ahead.
    Yeah... COREs architecture looks like a rewrite of Maya in many ways. NT has the ball in their hands now, as they can provide a similar easy to use, artist friendly workflow/toolset as to classic LW but also have the power to go very, very deep. And it's not limited to NT developers to go deep either (finally)!

By the looks of the FAQ, it's deeper than Maya. Time will tell though, but I'm very excited.

Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

The very very open architecture of core as described on papar means that Newtek won't be the only company to create the 'flavour' of Lightwave. The Worley's and Happy Digitals etc may also help to create what ultimately becomes 'Lightwave'. I rather like that. When you look at things like realflow, and their cost, you realise that these type of 'plugins' are often as much work as the whole of a 3D application. One company, outside of monster organisations like AD, simply can't afford that level of commitement to a single specialized area...with Core's open architecture we might all have the benefit of being able o tchoose these specialized 'modules' af if they had been coded vy Newtek. Might even, with a big enough userbase be discounted...You never know!

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Yeah... COREs architecture looks like a rewrite of Maya in many ways.
    I hope not... Maya is so... 80ies

Cheers,
    Mike - who hates MEL!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    I hope not... Maya is so... 80ies

Cheers,
    Mike - who hates MEL!
    i'm trying to learn maya currently..it's so..
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Yeah... COREs architecture looks like a rewrite of Maya in many ways.
    To me it seems more like Maya and Houdini made a baby together and he looks like Lightwave.

I am so behind this change. I've not been this excited at a new outlook on an old friend as I know LW needs to do this to survive in this market, and I can't wait to use the new tools in anger. Really does make you feel alive that so many people are putting their all in to this project, devs and users alike
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
    To me it seems more like Maya and Houdini made a baby together and he looks like Lightwave.
    Yeah.. Houdini is defenately in relations... and I bet that the dynamics/particles are going to have relations to ICE...
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast