Thread: Proc Amp IS broken

Newbie Member

Proc Amp IS broken

Clearly, from the posts that I have read here and the conversations that I have had with NewTek, the Proc Amp module in VT[5.2b] is broken. Not completely broken, but with just enough of an issue to be completely useless to anyone doing live switching.

Judging from the other posts I have read here, this issue has been on going for several months and NewTek has yet to offer users a real solution to this issue. One of the very attractive features of VT over a modular switching system is the Proc Amp and with it not working its another black mark against the suite.

So, I stand before the VT[5] users on this board and NewTek Headquarters once again pleading for help. I'm at a loss. I have a live switch coming up. Does anyone have a decent solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Slark View Post
    Clearly, from the posts that I have read here and the conversations that I have had with NewTek, the Proc Amp module in VT[5.2b] is broken. Not completely broken, but with just enough of an issue to be completely useless to anyone doing live switching.

Judging from the other posts I have read here, this issue has been on going for several months and NewTek has yet to offer users a real solution to this issue. One of the very attractive features of VT over a modular switching system is the Proc Amp and with it not working its another black mark against the suite.

So, I stand before the VT[5] users on this board and NewTek Headquarters once again pleading for help. I'm at a loss. I have a live switch coming up. Does anyone have a decent solution?
    yah, this bug is really ticking me off too. i deal with this on a weekly basis, along with the transparency bug, and the VERY annoying cg editing bug.
    really tho, i cant believe this bug made it through, its pretty much the most obvious bug ever...

anyway, before i get too mad... it is possible to actually use it - you must switch its input twice, then it will work properly.

Newbie Member

I'll join this list too

I use my VT5 as a live switcher and record 6 shows a day so having the proc amps not function properly has been a real headache. It seems there should have been a fix by now.

Newbie Member
    It is oddly comforting to know for certain that I'm not alone with this issue. Thank you for the tip, Becky. Hopefully they'll get it right in VT[6].

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Did you guys actually bug report this with Newtek's bug reporting database or talk to Newtek tech support about this bug at all?

I made Dr. Andrew Cross aware of this problem today, he said he hadn't heard of it before. He also promised he'll get right on fixing it.

But realize, this is just a user forum, if it isn't actually in Newtek's bug database, either from filing a bug report yourself, or by actually talking with Newtek tech support about the problem so they file a bug report, Newtek probably doesn't even know there is a problem.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

We have managed to reproduce this issue. A work-around that I can give you right away is that if, inside the procamp you first switch to a different input then back it will work correctly. We have found a fix, the problem is that we first need to validate this and get it into a build; I will work on getting this done asap.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioProd View Post
    Did you guys actually bug report this with Newtek's bug reporting database or talk to Newtek tech support about this bug at all?
    yes, a couple days after vt5.2 came out in fact, i talked to a lady at their tech support - she was able to reproduce it.
    also, there is a more severe bug linked to this - i dont remember how i made it happen, but if you change the dials to a value they arent supposed to be able to display, vt will crash the next time you start up.
    the only way to fix it is to reset the vt settings...

Quote Originally Posted by Snu View Post
    yes, a couple days after vt5.2 came out in fact, i talked to a lady at their tech support - she was able to reproduce it.
    also, there is a more severe bug linked to this - i dont remember how i made it happen, but if you change the dials to a value they arent supposed to be able to display, vt will crash the next time you start up.
    the only way to fix it is to reset the vt settings...
    Well, clearly there was some mis-communication within NewTek for which I apologize. On your second issue, if you have any steps to reproduce this we would be happy to look at it (feel free to email me.) It is unlikely that this second issue is related to the first; looking at the code it is very obvious how this first bug came up which was an optimization that we made to avoid making changes when not required - unfortunately it was a bit to aggressive at what it was doing

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    Well, clearly there was some mis-communication within NewTek for which I apologize. On your second issue, if you have any steps to reproduce this we would be happy to look at it (feel free to email me.) It is unlikely that this second issue is related to the first; looking at the code it is very obvious how this first bug came up which was an optimization that we made to avoid making changes when not required - unfortunately it was a bit to aggressive at what it was doing

Andrew
    ive only had the second bug show up once, and that was while i was on the phone with newtek. unfortunately, she couldnt reproduce it at the time, and i REALLY dont want to have to reset vt's settings unless i have to... so i dont plan on experimenting with it -_-

i THINK its due to the proc amp values being set to a number that they shouldnt be able to be, i seem to recall that i somehow set one of the values well over 200 (it was a while ago, i could be wrong).

all i can really suggest just messing around with the broken proc amps for a few minutes, thats all i did...

if it happens again, ill play around with it and try to reproduce it.

We are new VT5 customers and having the same proc amp module/tab issues. We have posted more about this problem in depth on this related thread. This is a serious problem to our workflow and the proc amps were properly linked and worked perfectly for us in VT4. I moved this post into the Vt support forum because it's more appropriate there.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthr...t=90543&page=2
    Last edited by spotduster; 11-12-2009 at 08:20 PM.

I think I crashed my system with the first build by choosing SpeedEdit-VT as the input within proc-amp.

since the 5.3 update, the proc amps seem to be working properly again!
    i am very happy that they fixed it, but it really did take way too long.
    also, the crash bug that i mentioned showed up once more, and i was able to figure out a few more things about it: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106525

now that the first bug is fixed tho, i dont know if this will show up again (i hope not!).

thanksnu

the thread above is what i got. it happened in 5.3 to me. all 0, can't change
    them at all, then any click on procamp tab crashes out, menu procamp too.
    i was gonna reload but will look for that file. it started out the same, i did get bypass to work, but then thought advanced settings factory recall would
    fix it -they were all 0 and wouldn't change and the next time i clicked procamp it crashed everytimeweirdness

that does fix it. i logged on as another user and there was absolutely no problem with their ***.vtd file procamps all okay. So to prevent problems from deleting a file i copied the default users advanced settings file and renamed it as the users file that crashes procamp and then that user is back to using the procamps

maybe i will get around to trying to understand what happened coz it began after Calibrating-auto-then 75%bars then 100% then trying to reset factory settings but the testing matrix for ANY vt stuff is REALLYREALLYREALLY involved and intertwined and complex-never-ending-SCENARIOS -i DIG IT - almost as fun as VT is.