Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are non-HardCORE customers screwed?

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I think you ask for impossible and not realistic, BUG fixes for LW 8.5 ?? C'mon should we then ask Bug fixes for LW 5.6c too ? - that was most stable LW version .
    Did you not read what I said? A PERIOD OF UPDATING.

I don't expect INDEFINITE updates. NOO. That would be unrealistic.

But for 6 months to a year from the release of the new version, bug fixes SHOULD still be made available to owners of the previous version. I'm not asking for much here.

READ.
    Faith is not the opposite of intelligence. The lack of faith is the lack of intelligence, for it is impossible to know everything.:thumbsup:

Macs FTW:yoda:

I've read it but do you remeber when LW 8.5 was out ???? Do you ?? it was 2005 so that's not "a period if updating" as you say - that's long ago in past and I'm sure there won't be any updates to LW 8.5 no matter how hard you want it. Actually i don't remember any of 3D companies update old versions and especially not 6 VERSIONS back liek 8.5 . That would be total nonsense c'oz 8.5 code was used to make 9.0 so basically 9.0 fixed most of 8.5 bugs and therefore 8.5 is obsolete .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

I'm not sure why they're adding anything else to 9.6, let alone 8.5. Sure, fix the bugs if possible. But adding features or additions?
    Isn't that what new version of Lightwave is for? I know, we'll call it Lightwave Core.

Quote Originally Posted by MSwengel View Post
    Did you not read what I said? A PERIOD OF UPDATING.

I don't expect INDEFINITE updates. NOO. That would be unrealistic.

But for 6 months to a year from the release of the new version, bug fixes SHOULD still be made available to owners of the previous version. I'm not asking for much here.

READ.
    I think 6-8 months of basic bug fixes would be appropriate in the context you present it.

This would stabilize folk who need to hang on to 9.x series for financial reasons. After all, the economy is in a challenging position for many and a buffer here would allow them to eventually become upgrading customers.

I think that Newtek has presented a fantastic outline here for the future of LW which has sold me because I am a predictably inclined-to-purchase non-casual LW user but my gut feeling is they need to introduce more detailed specifics with accompanying screen shots and perhaps video before people, in larger numbers, put a wad up for the hardcore version.

That statement caught me out too - it was very ambiguous.....genuinely, if you have 9.6 and don't intend buying into Core, then you should be eligible for all the 9.x releases and patches, or at least the patches.

Bit of a tough call in some ways for NT, but probably they really ought to leave the 9.x cycle out of this new payment equation - their choice for sure, take it or leave it, but it would seem odd if there was a 9.8 in the summer but only Core members could have it.

But then why not charge for that?

It's about time NT did have some money off us for all that work.....

Julian.
    LW 2015.3 Win 10 Pro 64bit

http://www.take27.co.uk

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I've read it but do you remeber when LW 8.5 was out ???? Do you ?? it was 2005 so that's not "a period if updating" as you say - that's long ago in past and I'm sure there won't be any updates to LW 8.5 no matter how hard you want it. Actually i don't remember any of 3D companies update old versions and especially not 6 VERSIONS back liek 8.5 . That would be total nonsense c'oz 8.5 code was used to make 9.0 so basically 9.0 fixed most of 8.5 bugs and therefore 8.5 is obsolete .
    Ok you obviously don't get it.

I'm using 8.5 and 9x as an analogy for 9x and Core.

Look. Core is a brand new version. I get that. I have no problem with buying that. But, updates for 9x should still be available and free.

I see it this way: a bug in the software is the fault of the developers. Why should the end user have to pay to get the fix for the problem that was caused by the devs? I have no problem with paying for new FEATURES.

When someone buys a piece of software, he/she is paying for WORKING software. Bugs are deviations from what the software SHOULD do. Unfixed bugs rob the customer of that for which he paid.

Again, AS AN EXAMPLE, in CORE, the devs have no doubt found ways to fix the bugs 9x has. They should use that knowledge to patch up the bugs in 9x while leaving the new FEATURES in Core. I'm not saying we should get the features of Core. I know NT has put a lot of time and money into it and THAT should not be free.

Bug fixes and patches should be.
    Faith is not the opposite of intelligence. The lack of faith is the lack of intelligence, for it is impossible to know everything.:thumbsup:

Perhaps what this means is that they will just continue the LW9.x Betas if you are part of the HARDCORE Beta Tester CLUB and when another stable version of say LW9.7 is created they will then release it for general consumption... this is just what we have been doing for all of LW9 if you participated in the Beta program. So maybe this was just a clumsy way of saying that the LW9.x Beta testing would continue along with the LW10 Beta testing AND NOT a comment of what the General releases would be. This would make sense to me. As a beta tester I have had dozens of Beta releases of LW9.x that the General users don't see until a new stable release is made.
    "Belief" is irrelevant... it is not a measure of Truth!
    Boxx 8400SE: Windows 7 x64 Dual Intel CPU5482 [8 Cores, 3200 MHz] 16.0 GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    I think 6-8 months of basic bug fixes would be appropriate in the context you present it.

This would stabilize folk who need to hang on to 9.x series for financial reasons. After all, the economy is in a challenging position for many and a buffer here would allow them to eventually become upgrading customers.

I think that Newtek has presented a fantastic outline here for the future of LW which has sold me because I am a predictably inclined-to-purchase non-casual LW user but my gut feeling is they need to introduce more detailed specifics with accompanying screen shots and perhaps video before people, in larger numbers, put a wad up for the hardcore version.
    EXACTLY!

I think that hardCore is actually a fee for open beta access plus some other gifts, but final releases are going to be like after core ... pay the update for full x.0 release and free updates for x.x ... and they want to release a full x.0 version each year.
    Juanjo Gonzalez
    Computer Graphics Software Developer

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGregg View Post
    Perhaps what this means is that they will just continue the LW9.x Betas if you are part of the HARDCORE Beta Tester CLUB and when another stable version of say LW9.7 is created they will then release it for general consumption... this is just what we have been doing for all of LW9 if you participated in the Beta program. So maybe this was just a clumsy way of saying that the LW9.x Beta testing would continue along with the LW10 Beta testing AND NOT a comment of what the General releases would be. This would make sense to me. As a beta tester I have had dozens of Beta releases of LW9.x that the General users don't see until a new stable release is made.
    I hope so. I would be perfectly fine with that plan. :agree:

Except it would appear that Newtek is changing their pricing policy for Lightwave. Why should there be some exclusion for past versions of Lghtwave? You were never "promised" anything. Newtek has always given free updates to Lightwave but times are changing. You go and try to find the upgrade value that you have received with 9.x somewhere else. 5 very substantial and Free updates. I'll save you the trouble though of looking for it- you won't find it.
    It's just like the modeling tools in layout. They told us they planned on giving them to us during the 9.x cycle. But it's not happening. It wasn't a promise so much as a plan that didn't pan out. I imagine it had to do with the difficulty in dealing with the older code base. This is why they're moving ahead with Core.

I think LW9.6.x will be around for a long time since it will be the last of this version of LW. All the Plugins and LScripts made to date will not work on the new LWCORE SDK so for legacy reasons I think we will be using LW9.6.x along side of LWCORE for a few years until the Plugin base is built up for the new CORE SDK.

I can't imagine what would inspire NT to release an update to LW8.5 at this time... it would have to be some major problem that causes it to crash wipe the hard drive or something equally as catastrophic... at some point you just don't make updates to old code, because there are always bugs, this is never ending in a complex application like LW, you just have to stop fixing at some point.
    Boxx 8400SE: Windows 7 x64 Dual Intel CPU5482 [8 Cores, 3200 MHz] 16.0 GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB

relax guys today chuck will step up probable with more clear statement... i am sure they are working on deeper explanation of all this memebership
    new web page up www.null.hr

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Except it would appear that Newtek is changing their pricing policy for Lightwave. Why should there be some exclusion for past versions of Lghtwave? You were never "promised" anything. Newtek has always given free updates to Lightwave but times are changing. You go and try to find the upgrade value that you have received with 9.x somewhere else. 5 very substantial and Free updates. I'll save you the trouble though of looking for it- you won't find it.
    It's just like the modeling tools in layout. They told us they planned on giving them to us during the 9.x cycle. But it's not happening. It wasn't a promise so much as a plan that didn't pan out. I imagine it had to do with the difficulty in dealing with the older code base. This is why they're moving ahead with Core.
    You also don't want to do a lot of work for no reason too. If you have a completely new architecture that would make the job 10X easier and faster... I think the rebuild of Modeler is a major task and would be a wast of time to do it twice. My guess is they picked things that could be portable and code that would work in LW9 and LW10... NT made many comments on what would be in LW9 and I think we got about 10X more then they told us we would get just not what they initially said we would see... remember the old GI... it took days to render!! No one thought that was coming!

The new CORE should make LW upgrades much easier and less prone to error or side effects... we, for instance, wont have many versions of a Rotate or a Scale function they will all behave the same so you wont need to learn the idiosyncrasy's of each variant. We should get much more consistency of function.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGregg View Post
    at some point you just don't make updates to old code, because there are always bugs, this is never ending in a complex application like LW, you just have to stop fixing at some point.
    Exactly and that's my point, there is no BUG free 3D Software and I'd rather NT spend time on LWC than on 9.x series which work pretty fine in it's 9.6 FINAL.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast