Thread: Lightwave 9.0 clone character

Newbie Member

Lightwave 9.0 clone character

Hi,

I got a scene file with two characters. For the animation I have to do I need three of them. Any character consists of bones and visual information (I don't know how this is called - in my case this is a person skin).

I have tried to create a third character by cloning one of the existing ones (using Clone Hierarchy option). However the problem is, that some points of the body used for moving legs and hands stayed referenced to the source character and not the new one created. I corrected the references in Motion properties window, but one problem existed.

The skin of the new character is not attached to the hand and legs of it. If I move a leg the bones move, but the skin stays in the same position.

I would be really thankful if someone could point me towards the right solution, as I am getting quit frustrated with this thing. I'm new to Lightwave and could find anything connected with my kind of problem on google or somewhere else.

Thank you very much.

How are the characters and the bones setup?
    Normally if you have a character rigged with bones and you clone the character the bones also get cloned so theres no need to clone the bones.

Newbie Member
    If I try to clone any node of the character, only this node is cloned and not the whole character. If picking Clone hirarchy on the first node the character is cloned with all the descendants, but the control points for moving the character in hand and legs are still attached to the parent one.

Could there be any specific cause why the thing is working like it is? Just to narrow the search area.

Newbie Member
    One another question. Is it possible to save an object hierarchy with corresponding surfaces so it could be added to a different scene.

When selecting the root node of my hierarchy the option File - Save object copy is greyed and not available. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Not sure what you mean by node.
    I usually create the bones for the character in layout. If you use skelegons then make sure theyre in the same layer as the character.
    After you convert the skelegons to bones you should be able to simply clone the character which will automatically clone the bones.

You cant save a clone as a separate thing. You can save your character as a new object and use object replacement in layout and then save that as a new scene.

Newbie Member
    I guess it will be the easiest to show the scene. I did not build the models so I don't know a lot about them.

I have attached the scene file and would be very grateful if you could take a fast look.

Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I dont see the models in the zip file, just a scene file.

Newbie Member
    That is all I got. Only a scene file with two persons in it.

I guess my question would be: Is it possible to create a third person in the scene with only this information available (the scene file).

The scene doesnt have any objects with it.
    A scene file contains motion, lighting and camera data etc.
    Objects are not part of the scene file.