Thread: Render doesn't show lights and background

Render doesn't show lights and background

I rendered a tga sequence and saved it in my customer's folder. Each of the files shows lights and background. I loaded the sequence into my FCP and the sequence was able to cut onto the timeline and play after rendering but the lights and background aren't there.

Mac OS X 10.4.11
    2 X 3.0 Quad Core Intel Xeon
    16GB ram
    FCP 6.05

what does the alpha channel look like? It may be possible you ran it out as a 32bit sequence (which would include an alpha channel). I don't use FCP but I bet if you import a 32bit sequence, it just cuts off whatever is black on the alpha. *shrug*

Background colors, Background Images, Background Gradients, and Background Composites in Lightwave all default to black on the alpha channel, while objects and things default to white (depending on transparency).

It could be some other problem, but this is just my best guess.

Opps i just realized this was in 3d Arsenal discussion, I don't even know what that is.. so, maybe this isn't relevant.
    Last edited by 4dartist; 01-27-2009 at 09:38 AM.

Actually, I was thinking the same thing. If I open the image in photoshop, the background is there. Arsenal is part of LightWave so I believe you're right. Looking at the file in photoshop...yup, the alpha channel was rendered, too. I'll have to see how to keep that from happening. Thanks!

Save as a 24-bit TGA sequence in future.

B
    PS. Ben, 3D Arsenal is a rejigged LightWave 7.5 optimised for video folk.
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by bbailey View Post
    Actually, I was thinking the same thing. If I open the image in photoshop, the background is there. Arsenal is part of LightWave so I believe you're right. Looking at the file in photoshop...yup, the alpha channel was rendered, too. I'll have to see how to keep that from happening. Thanks!
    I guess just make sure to output as a 24 bit image, thus only R,G,B and no A.

If you want to kill the alpha in your already output frames, one way would be to load it into after effects, and hit cmd-F on that asset and tell it to ignore alpha, then re-output it as a png sequence. (or) I bet FCP has an option to ignore alpha channels. There may be more ways, but if not, then just re-rendering the frames as 24bit would work.

I went back and set the render file as 24 bit targa instead of 32 bit and problem solved.

Thanks a bunch for your input.