Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What DVD Authoring Software will make chapters directly from speededit rende

Rock'nRoll Set Visualiser Adrian@Stufish's Avatar
    Then we must fight the integrated suite takeover of the world!

I gave up on Adobe Encore, because although it integrates fine with Photoshop, which we use all the time, I could only upgrade it by spending a fortune on crossing 3 of our CS bundles to the bloated video-producing version, and as I hate Premier and we're more than happy with SpeedEdit - no thanks.
    So until the wonderful world of complete interchange-ability follows the forthcoming ice-age I suspect we're all going to have to put up with a hiccup of some dimension somewhere along our workflow, and hunt around for a nearly-meshing set of apps where the hiccup occurs in a place where it can most easily be worked round.
    Personally I'm more annoyed by the anachronistic limitations of the DVD menu format (as laid down in 1995 ?), and hoping against hope that when I have time to try out the Blue-ray authoring in DVD Architect it lets me do all the nice things that people see on websites and expect you to do on their' DVDs
    It's only Rock & Roll, but it pays the wages!

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    DVD Architect does support some of the higher-end scripting capabilities in DVDs. And it has some animation capabilities as well. These came with the Blu-ray features, but I believe they work on DVDs as well. Of course, there are also Blu-ray-only features like floating menus over the actual video and such.

As for suites versus stand-alone. The majority of the industry has wisely created suites. It's the only way to ensure compatibility and work flow. And profit.

In the old days, there were many edit systems that were just that. This allowed there to be great authoring-only programs like DVD Workshop. This simply isn't the case anymore.

I can't name ANY NLE stand-alone that has significant market share. And without that, there won't be any stand-alone authoring program with signficant market share.

The days of non-suites are numbered, IMHO.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

I don't think everyone wants to go to work everyday for the same mega-corporation.
    This goes for program designers and users that would all buy into the same software suite because all the rest were put out of business.
    Last edited by donx; 03-13-2009 at 07:52 PM.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Unless a new stand alone had the capability to import other time lines with embedded functions. Much like an Automatic Duck plug-in.
    The thing about suites (aside from FCP) is you can load the .avi output from SE into them to continue your work like DVD/BD authoring.
    Other than the markers transferring over, this works well.
    I now have CS4 and I rarely use AE, Soundbooth and Premiere but I have them if need be (which I had a need last week). Photoshop, Encore and Illustrator are programs I do use a lot.
    Anyway, back to the topic, it does suck that SE does not have a built-in marker export feature to other authoring programs. It would be a no brainer if you don't make an authoring program to make your NLE 3rd party authoring friendly.

You have to do what's right for your own business. If you need better authoring but don't want to break the bank, then a suite is the answer because it's a lot cheaper than a very high-end authoring stand alone program and you get other programs to add to your arsenal to boot.

PS That said, a XML type conversion of SE markers to Encore is something I would purchase.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Sadly, there's not really anything Newtek can do about the marker exporting problem, all the authoring programs I've seen use DIFFERENT methods for bringing in markers, there is no standard way that I've seen, not to mention some use proprietary methods.

Bob's Chapter Points provides some methods at least.
    Last edited by ScorpioProd; 03-14-2009 at 02:24 PM.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Now, if you are talking about standards. I'm all for it. Film was a great standard but video and other recent media distribution has no central standard authority looking over it's development. It's all about power of the marketing and novelty features.

Sometimes it's good to stand still long enough to enjoy the grass between your toes.

Sometimes it's good to stand still long enough to enjoy the grass between your toes.

LOL, unless you live near a vending machine in California! LOL
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

The price drop for BluRay is really nice, but seems to be only 10-20$ more for authoring software.

fwiw
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

What I use.

i don't use any of your methods. But i could be doing this the wrong way too! (loosing video quality) I make a project then finalize it. Then i use Pinnacle to open he video clip. Pinnacle can detect scenes out of a single clip. Then I select what scenes I use and make menu, make chapters, and burn or finalize in any format. (blu-ray or DVD mainly)

Miss ya EWK

Quote Originally Posted by rj44319 View Post
    i don't use any of your methods. But i could be doing this the wrong way too! (loosing video quality) I make a project then finalize it. Then i use Pinnacle to open he video clip. Pinnacle can detect scenes out of a single clip. Then I select what scenes I use and make menu, make chapters, and burn or finalize in any format. (blu-ray or DVD mainly)
    I make a project then finalize it. What do you mean here? Make an .avi?

I just save the project.VTP and import into TMPGenc2.x, and I make a chapter.mpeg2. This way it is only a matter of redo/undos on the TimeLine and SaveAs.VTP for the next chapter. You could render x.m2v and a corresponding.Wave as a Chapter, then send to the burning app. if you want.

Liquid, the best Pinnacle had, and was bought by Avid, so yep, your likely mucking up things a bit. How is Pinnacle handeling fades? I've got the Pinnacle ATI version, but gave up on it in the late 90's.

Bob's Chapter Points, for the love of EWK!

HappyHolyDaze
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Pegasys

The 'support people at pegasys' say,

use TMPGEnc to encode your project (both video and audio) and then use their TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 to add chapters and burn.

I am adding this info because i am also trying to decide on the best workflow for my project.

Jim

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    You may also want to save the project in SpeedEdit as a .avi after you save the .vtp project. By doing this, you do not have to render out your project in SE before encoding in TMPGEnc when using version 4. You just load the .avi project into TMPGEnc and encode it to MPEG and save yourself a lot of render time as well as keeping compression and quality at it's highest level.
    So import clips and edit in SE. Then save the project and then save as .avi. Load the .avi into TMPGEnc 4 and encode it to MPEG2. Load the MPG2 file into TMPGEnc authoring program and make chapter points and author the DVD.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I am new here...
    Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    ...So import clips and edit in SE. Then save the project and then save as .avi. Load the .avi into TMPGEnc 4 and encode it to MPEG2. Load the MPG2 file into TMPGEnc authoring program and make chapter points and author the DVD.

Take care,
    You can bring your project, saved as .avi in SE, directly into TMPGEnc authoring program and do both encoding, and authoring in one place (I use DVD Author 3.0 now...) You need to render audio only in SE though (as .wav) and bring it into the Author, together with that .avi project file...
    Thanks.

Chapters

I am adding this info because i am also trying to decide on the best workflow for my project.

I would think it also is a decision on how your DVD will be viewed. If all they will do is play it, you don't need Chapters. What Burning program are you using? I read your other thread where the DVD came out Pillar and Letterboxed, did you get that fixed?

I'm always availuable for telephone support, just send me your #.
    [email protected]
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Answer to your question?!?!?!

SpeedEDIT 2.0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123