Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What DVD Authoring Software will make chapters directly from speededit rende

What DVD Authoring Software will make chapters directly from speededit rende

The title says it all. I'm looking for DVD burning software that will support the markers as chapters from a speededit render. So far I've had no luck with any 3rd party software. And yes I've enabled the option for chapters from markers in the se renderer......Help! ...I need a solution ASAP!!!

What DVD Authoring Software will make chapters directly from speededit timeline renders....
    OH, and actually burn the DVD, Cybermedia's software crashes with chapters enabled!

Any suggestions would be GREATLY APPRICIATED!!!!!

Thanks

Scott

dvd

none will accept chapters from se.

bobs chapters will export to tmpegencoder

the points are entered into encore

pete
    Pete Draves
    CV Productions
    Oak Creek, WI
    [email protected]

Are you sure? It says in the manual you can enable the marker to chapter option? (Force key-frame at marker points in mp4 > algorithms), but that's what it does in the render options for just this purpose.

See below from the manuel:

3.13.4.1 I-Frames and CSV Chapter Files
    One special feature of the Advanced Video Codec Configuration option is worth noting in this context:
    There are times when you want to create a DVD chapter at a specific frame in the production, but chapters must always begin at an I-frame (a particular sort of frame in certain compressed file systems, including MPEG2)
    SpeedEDIT allows you to optionally force the renderer to insert I-frames at any and all project markers for numerous file formats (including Flash, AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2, and MPEG 4.)
    When this feature is enabled, SpeedEDIT also creates a text file containing the times and names of the project markers. For example, if you enable this option and render to ―MyDVD.m2p,‖ a file named ―MyDVD-MarkerPoints.txt‖ will be produced in the same directory. The text file can subsequently be imported into several DVD authoring applications as a DVD chapter point list.
    Last edited by SCS5; 01-19-2009 at 03:28 PM.

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Wow that blue text on the dark background was wicked hard to read...

What's missing in that paragraph is you don't see them naming what any of those DVD authoring applications are, do you?

Forcing I-frames at the markers ALLOWS you to create chapter points there later. That is true, and AFAIK, it will do that.

But actually getting the markers to become chapter points requires a file of the markers in a format that some external DVD authoring application can use. Well, SpeedEDIT will create that file, but what application can use it???

AFAIK, DVD-lab Pro is supposed to be able to use them. I've never used it, so I can't verify that, though.

TMPGEnc's authoring application might be able to, but frankly, it would be stupid to use Newtek's encoder and then author in TMPGEnc versus using TMPEnc's better encoder in the first place, if you are going to author in TMPGEnc. And for that, you need Bob's Chapter Points.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Thanks Eugene,

I was hoping for a golden egg!

bobs chapters will export to tmpegencoder?

Once tmpeg's encoded the file will the chapters show up in other DVD authoring apps? If so which ones?..PC ones that is

Sorry about the blue type

Quote Originally Posted by SCS5 View Post
    bobs chapters will export to tmpegencoder?
    Yes, so you can load the SpeedEDIT VTP directly into TMPGEnc and have it do the MPEG-2 encoding and have it force I-frames where your markers are.

You load a file from Bob's plug-in into TMPGEnc so it knows what frames the markers are at.

But as I explained above, this part of the process is only creating the MPEG-2 with I-frames located in the right locations to ALLOW chapter points there.
    Once tmpeg's encoded the file will the chapters show up in other DVD authoring apps? If so which ones?..PC ones that is
    No, it doesn't work that way.

I am guessing that if one used TMPGEnc's authoring software, that would be the case. But beyond that, like I said before, MOST authoring programs don't support "general" importing of chapter points like that. Most authoring programs are part of suites, and those suites use their own proprietary methods to put chapter points in from markers in the suite's NLE.

An example being Vegas Pro 8 working that way with DVD Architect 5, Preimere Pro with Encore, FCP with DVD Studio Pro, etc.

Not having an integrated DVD authoring application bundled with SpeedEDIT is a weakness, no doubt about it.

Oh, and at least I can say with confidence that any authoring program that SpeedEDIT's own marker file would be read by, such as DVD-lab Pro (AFAIK), would also accept marker files from Bob's Chapter Points, though I don't know if it has its own encoding engine, or if so, the quality of it.

Honestly, I still author with DVD Workshop 2, after encoding with TMPGEnc. I do my chapters by simply typing them in from the list created by Bob's Chapter Points (or the equivalent in Vegas in my case). It really goes quick when the I-frames are there so it doesn't fight you when you just type them in.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Thanks Eugene!!

Toaster Oven
    With SE, you can use Bob's chapter points to create a txt file of marker spots. This file can be loaded into Tmpgenc (which then creates exact I frames at those points). You can then load that same txt file into DVD-Lab and have chapter points in the authoring app.
    You still need (optionally) to create a menu with the chapters and descriptions. You can export another type of Bob's chapter points that includes descriptions of the markers, but you need to title those markers.

Jeff, good, thanks for the confirmation that the text file of frame locations can be loaded directly into DVD-lab Pro.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

DVD Architect use to do it when i had vt4. dont remember what i did but chapters did show up. i have not tryed it withSE and the newer dvd Architect version.
    If its free then it wont cost anything, right?

For DVD Architect, you're thinking of the project markers passing through the AVI Wrapper to it and showing up as markers and therefore chapter points there. Just as the markers would show up if you loaded the AVI Wrapped project into Vegas as well.

I wouldn't recommend actually doing this.

The reason is the AVI Wrapper, just like any of the Newtek proprietary codecs, will NOT decode to the proper color space in Vegas, and will therefore require color correction.

And I don't know a way you could do this and get "just" the markers over, like if you had rendered your MPEG-2 via TMPGEnc and just wanted to author in DVD Architect.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Seems like there should be a way to use Metadata to carry the info over somehow.
    But I don't know.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    Seems like there should be a way to use Metadata to carry the info over somehow.
    But I don't know.
    You would think but I just received Encore and one of the fisrt things I looked for was the chapter oint import.
    Nothing found
    Searched the Internet and a lot of request but no answers

So I am doing the same thing I do in DVDWS2, copy the time from the text file into the monitor time line to move the time to the chapter point from the list.
    Then I hit the * key and then I copy and paste the chapter name into the name field.

So even Adobe has no import feature for chapter point.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Well, unless you're using Adobe's NLE, of course.

Integrated suites are the way to work.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

I haven't tried this myself, but it seems reasonable to run-out the NewTek NLE project into TMPGEnc and bring this into Vegas or DVDA (various reasons why you'd choose one over the other that I'll not go into here). Then also bring in the NewTek AVI wrapper project into Vegas/DVDA but simply not use the track.

By this, the track could have the markers saved out, put into the clipboard and pasted onto the TMPGEnc originated track. Or more so for within Vegas, hit the track-mute button. The markers should be imported into the global positions.

Quality control wise, you might then have some issues with markers not being on GOP boundaries.

This would be interesting if it works. That would save cross-NLE levels matching anyway...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast