Thread: Genlock output on BOB

Newbie Member

Genlock output on BOB

I have the older SX-8...

There is a genlock BNC -- it doesnt seem to output anything at all.
    How do I get it to output something (or does it literally just output only a sync pulse signal or something)?

In VT5 preferences, it can be assigned to output alpha, main (clean signal ) etc... but it doesnt seem to output anything at all. Is this only active if I get an SX84?

Thanks.

Newbie Member
    is there also a way for me to get MAIN output signal out of the vt or its BOB?
    I would like to record a clean feed in addition to the PGM out.
    an extra card hardware wouldnt be too much trouble if it wasnt expensive...
    I just cant afford to change my SX8 to an 84.
    I guess I COULD just record the main feed. I have never recorded on my VT yet though. I dont want to risk slowing the machine down too much during live shows. Im running a 2ghz (or 2.5?) quad core with 3gb ram and vista 32.

(In theory it may seem possible to have a vga card with tv out, and the desktop stretched across multiple monitors, one of them being a tv (or recorder) which has an extra VT that has main selected, which is stretched to fill the entire screen)
    is this something that is unneccesary??

The Genlock IN connector on old SX_8 is an input connector (the Genlock OUT is just a loop through from Genlock IN) . If you purchase an optional genlock module from NewTek, you can sync your VT output to your video system with house sync.

There is a KEY OUT connector beside the Genlock. It was design for output preview or alpha signal but unfourtunely that SX-8's core memory is not big enough to hold the firmware. So the output connector was just a decoration, no function at all.

The SX-84 fix the core limitation and is able to output alpha or preview video.

There is no way to output the MAIN signal from VT board or BOB. However, you can capture the clean MAIN video into hard disk by Capture module. It cost nothing.

A 2G Quad core is fast enough for VT. The only bottle necks are what M/B and disk array you are using. A workstation level M/B with a fast array should be able to handle live switching and video capturing. Don't use same array to play DDR and Capture video at same time (that means you might need two arrays for the case). I have been testing a workstation that can play 4 DDR video and capture 2 video stream (PGM and PVW) at same time without problems.
    =============
    Chen Pan

[email protected]
    =============

Quote Originally Posted by deaddavey View Post
    (In theory it may seem possible to have a vga card with tv out, and the desktop stretched across multiple monitors, one of them being a tv (or recorder) which has an extra VT that has main selected, which is stretched to fill the entire screen)
    is this something that is unneccesary??
    It is unneccesary if you can capture the MAIN video. Such a configuration might be works. I am not sure that VT monitor (a DirectShow video output) can be output to a TV port of VGA card or not.
    =============
    Chen Pan

[email protected]
    =============

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by animlab View Post
    It is unneccesary if you can capture the MAIN video. Such a configuration might be works. I am not sure that VT monitor (a DirectShow video output) can be output to a TV port of VGA card or not.
    It can actually do that because VT just sees the TV Port as another VGA output but at 720x480 resolution. BUT I would not record that output if you are looking for broadcast resolution.

I would invest in an SX84 or try recording the Main IN internally on the VT. Keep in mind there may be some frame jumps when switching cameras in the Main In recording. You need to test this thoroughly before commiting to this solution. Different systems bring different results.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Animlab ----- thanks, you answered my question and it works. SX-84 Preview out on bnc.... just what I was trying to make work.

I am glad an early 2009 post can help someone at 2012!
    =============
    Chen Pan

[email protected]
    =============