Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Siggraph 2009 contest _ now

I'd like to help!

If its decided to go ahead with this, and teams are going to be cosidered, consider me please. I'd love to work on a group project.
    Last edited by 3DeeNut; 01-30-2009 at 03:32 PM.
    Art is never finished.... only abandoned!
    Visit Me!

Rendering?

I would love to participate and the most reliable way I can is to help with rendering.

My only concern is that stuff gets moved around or slight changes in settings.

Can LW merge everything into a single file to render? Or maybe a script can be written to do the same thing. Basically, I'd love to load in the scene at night render the desired frames and see them ready by morning to send.

A team effort that lasts months may need such a script.

Cheers

Gui Lo

we can make LW packages now containg all the relevant files for a project.
    BRACE MEDIA
    Ensuring every picture tells your story.

New Brace Media website

Quote Originally Posted by The Dommo View Post
    we can make LW packages now containg all the relevant files for a project.
    Yes, I guess.

It would be nice not to have to go into Layout at all. Just a render module that has a few fields for scene name/location and save name/ location.

Just a thought

Gui Lo

It looks like one needs a facilitator and you guys definitely need a crude contract to keep the content of the project among yourselves so that if anyone wants to leave..they can't take their ball home with them and the project can still continue.

contest

Hello, I would like to know the date for the Siggraph contest, is it open?
    Thank you,
    Alain

Is the community project still on?
    Let's get this rolling...

I propose the topic for the community project be "CORE"
    Model and animate anything CORE-y. The CORE logo, the Earth's core, the sun's core, an apple's core, whatever.

Let's do this motion graphics style.

For inspiration look here:
    http://www.vimeo.com/3089715

1280X720X24 Format

Let's do this!!!
    ...or not if you don't want to.
    Last edited by Wickster; 02-13-2009 at 04:35 PM.
    ASUS G2S | T7500 C2Duo @ 2.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 256MB NVidia 8600M GT | Win 7 Home 64Bit

AMD X6 1090T @ 3.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 1.2GB NVidia 470GTX | Win 7 Pro 64Bit

Oh, gotta thank Oliver for showing me that inspiring Reel.
    ASUS G2S | T7500 C2Duo @ 2.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 256MB NVidia 8600M GT | Win 7 Home 64Bit

AMD X6 1090T @ 3.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 1.2GB NVidia 470GTX | Win 7 Pro 64Bit

Again, I'm all for spearheading a community project, but it's gotta be a sound idea for me and others to invest our time.

We were pretty close with the cat and the old woman. Needs a nice, original "spark" or something... can't quite put my finger on it...

inspiration: watch Gobelins "Cocotteminute"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulXT6JBzTUk

or "Le building"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiffKlnfpjw&NR=1

or "Burning Safari"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0UmV...eature=related

The GKaster demo reel is sharp work, but easily something one could do on their own time.
    Last edited by adamredwoods; 02-15-2009 at 01:40 PM.
    // To draw is to think and discover.

Quote Originally Posted by adamredwoods View Post
    Again, I'm all for spearheading a community project, but it's gotta be a sound idea for me and others to invest our time.

We were pretty close with the cat and the old woman. Needs a nice, original "spark" or something... can't quite put my finger on it...

inspiration: watch Gobelins "Cocotteminute"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulXT6JBzTUk

or "Le building"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiffKlnfpjw&NR=1

or "Burning Safari"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0UmV...eature=related

The GKaster demo reel is sharp work, but easily something one could do on their own time.
    HAHA, I like how there is no happy ending in those. . .really, just utter chaos.

My taste is like slow dancing in comparison.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

_
    Awww I was hoping the poor old lady and the orphan kitty would have a cheerful, happy ending. I guess it's a fittingly ironic twist that the cat-loving (and [quite likely] old-lady loving?) Lightwave community would make a story where they have to suffer a horrible ending ^_^

Well, if you're really going for the dark ending, I'd vote for the closet full of dead cats you proposed... But instead of a closet, it would be a room... And instead of just dead, they would be stuffed. Stuffed animals project an eeriness that even cooked animals can't match.

To tie the ending, we could start with the old lady could be sighing lonely in her room next to a rack full of photographs of cats. She could be knitting a cute-cute kitty-faced blanket. Next to each photo, a tiny burning candle and the reflection of the sad, lonely and melancholic eyes of the old lady.

The birds see her through the window and they gulp as their tiny heart is moved. They see the little, orphan kitty walking close by and they actually encourage it and almost drag it to the house.

We'd have to get rid of the ninja mice, though. If the story is going to be about the animals getting the kitty in the house to help it and everything twisting into kitty's most horrible destiny, the mice would simply not fit within the short-story frame. Unless they are good mice and are actually trying to save kitty...

For little animals, just trying to get a kitty in the house (with no obvious entry points and with the old lady being too deaf to hear or notice them) can be challenge enough.

When they get kitty in, the old lady and the kitty are both overjoyed. She leads it in, as the other animals leave, happily congratulating themselves. She opens the creaky, shadowy door to her trophy room, where all the cats from the pictures are kept (all of them stuffed, of course). As kitty walks in, seemingly more scared with every step, the old lady starts expertly pulling a small bottle and a cotton from her back pocket. Fade to black. The end.
    Last edited by JCG; 02-16-2009 at 11:51 PM.

Interesting...

I also thought that if there is a happy ending, then the audience needs to know the woman's motives first. So we'd see that the old lady stuffs cats, or loves "cat soup". So the kitten is trying to get out, instead of in. and the birds and outside animals are trying to help.

The ending would be: the old lady gets it (expected outcome), or we find out the old lady was just trying to give the cat a hot bath. Or the old lady was actually a dog in an "old woman suit". Or a robot controlled by mice.

In my opinion, shorts need to have a twist or a non-expected ending to really capture attention. Pixar, Disney can go for the traditional endings because they have brand recognition.

_
    When you mentioned cat soup, I started thinking about something that had to do with cat soup and ketchup (catsup) but I'd rather not go there!

Yes a dark twist might be the only way... unless it's hilarious. If the body is funny enough, the audience will forgive any ending. The critics will not (forgive it) but I guess you can win Cannes or you can win MTV but you can't win both. (Doesn't mean we can't try.) Of course, making it funny would present a whole new challenge that depends a lot on luck or finding someone who is really naturally funny to come up with stuff.

In the twist avenue, the (very) old lady could be walking by the door with a bottle of milk in her hand when she hears a meow. She looks through the peeping hole of her heavily bolted door, since her windows are boarded.

Outside, kitty is looking especially cute and especially famished.

She looks at the milk, she looks at kitty, she looks at the hundreds of locks on the door. Finally she starts opening the locks, opens a creak in the door and puts out the bottle of milk. She tries to pull her arm back in but... it's too late! In a flash, kitty has put a handcuff on her wrist and POOF, transforms back into a grim reaper. He laughs. Finally, he has her! He knew she would not be able to resist that one! He pulls on the arm and it's a fake arm with a stick of dynamite sticking out on the other end. The door quickly closes.

Or another....

In this one all the shots of the inside of the house look cozy and warm and the outside looks especially cold and harsh.

There is only one cat picture but it has no candle since the cat did not die. He had to leave because... I'm getting ahead of myself... well, anyway, at the end when they get kitty inside, the old lady looks more alarmed than happy.

Kitty jumps into her arms and the landlord's shadow shoots into the room. A long, imposing shadow, even though the landlord is quite short. He points at the sign that says, "No pets under penalty of eviction!" and kicks them both out into the street.

or another... though I think I've seen this one done many times before, in different scenarios...

the little animals try to get kitty in the house by opening an entrance and the mice keep preventing them from using it. When finally they can get kitty inside for the happy reunion, the house has been so heavily damaged that it falls down around them.

Another one, on the very happy ending side...

The mice really go to extremes to stop kitty from getting inside. They are terrified of the prospect of having a cat in there and know their lives would be forfeit. After the mice have done all their nefarious deeds to try to stop the animals from getting kitty into the house, it's finally in, joined in a loving embrace with the old lady. The mice are going, defeated and nervous, back to their mousehole when kitty slams his paw in front of the entrance preventing them from going in. The mice are terrified but kitty slides his paw into the mousehole and snaps the mousetrap that was waiting for them inside. Kitty smiles at them. Cut to the three mice sitting together in line, with a tiny napkin tied around their neck and kitty feeding them soup with a tiny spoon and the old lady feeding kitty soup.

Quote Originally Posted by JCG View Post
    In a flash, kitty has put a handcuff on her wrist and POOF, transforms back into a grim reaper. He laughs. Finally, he has her! He knew she would not be able to resist that one! He pulls on the arm and it's a fake arm with a stick of dynamite sticking out on the other end. The door quickly closes.
    I like the concept of the grim reaper trying to get into an old lady's house, but she keeps thwarting his efforts. The ending would be that he finally gets in, but was after the goldfish...

Or even...
    Old woman is sleeping in her bed. cat is awake and walking around (cats naturally go on "police beats", guarding territory) and sees the grim reaper trying to get in the door. The cat leaps to defend her master, slamming the door on grim.

Grim tries two different ways, but cat thwarts them all. Finally, grim gets in! cat rushes to protect her master... but grim was after the cat all along. Owner wakes up, stretches. end.

Quote Originally Posted by JCG View Post
    Kitty jumps into her arms and the landlord's shadow shoots into the room. A long, imposing shadow, even though the landlord is quite short. He points at the sign that says, "No pets under penalty of eviction!" and kicks them both out into the street.
    Funny ending! This is good, too.

_
    Quote Originally Posted by adamredwoods View Post
    Grim tries two different ways, but cat thwarts them all. Finally, grim gets in! cat rushes to protect her master... but grim was after the cat all along. Owner wakes up, stretches. end.
    Yes, or the cat didn't know that the old lady knew George the grim reaper and was expecting him for a romantic candle-lit dinner, like every Thursday.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast