Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Siggraph 2009 contest _ now

_
    With that scope, there is something I can throw in. Well, I couldn't think of a good story, but this is the silly story that I was planning to use if there was a contest (because it's so easy that it should not be a problem to complete it).

Hopefully someone will propose something better quickly. Jump while the bar is low!

The attached visual aid is a quick doodle of the story in western (left to right) order.

So:

There is a pompously dressed fat fairy strolling through the fields, smelling flowers. Since we don't hear his name, let's call him Wiston.

As he smells one closed bud, it opens and inside is a chubby bee prince (which really is not surprising as all bees are princes and princesses) asking a bashful fairy for her hand in marriage.

When the bashful fairy sees that Wiston is so fat, she immediately falls in love with him.

Wiston is pretty arrogant and just blows the bee away.

The bee comes back to complain at such unroyal treatment but he just gets flicked away again without a second glance.

Now, the prince is a bee and we all know what bees do when we bother them and make them angry.

So, when Wiston is stung, he blows out all his hot air through the entry wound.

When he returns to the ground, he's even thinner than the bee. Therefore, the bashful fairy doesn't like him anymore and prefers to go away with the chubby prince.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fairystroll.png 
Views:	360 
Size:	316.1 KB 
ID:	68321  

Although my skills in Lightwave are quite amateur, I'd like to be a part of this project one way or another--mainly for furthering my education and artistic side.

Thanks!
    Jeff
    Late 2010 MacBook Pro 13", 8 gigs RAM
    ASUS P5K-V, Q6600, 8 Gigs, nVidia 8800 gts: Windows 7 Pro

There was a thread about three years ago for a project that sort of fell apart.
    The idea was for a Mother Goose inspired commercial for a Law Agency. I don't remember all of it, but something about Humpty Dumpty, and it went from there.

Silk had opened his wiki to host it. When it came time to put up or shut up....everyone shut up.

_
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagnozzi View Post
    ... I think the biggest problem here is, that the people who can do are very busy, and the people who want do need some experience! Maybe some people should start only with a little shot...
    Yes, I really think that with a team competition it would be easier to get finished results at the end, since groups would be more evenly matched but that might not be an insurmountable problem. A short project does not need too many AAA people. The bunny movie only had 4 artists and 2 TDs plus the Creator/director and the musician.

In a real community project, there could be lots of things that we inexperienced people could do. The kinds of tasks that big movies assign to those doing internships: modeling set pieces, trinkets, clothing accessories, adding nurnies, animating background elements...

We could even block some basic foreground elements and the AAA guys can use their valuable time just refining it.

As long as every participant signs a Spock release, stating that they have no ego to bruise if their contributions need to be modified or don't make the cut at all, there should be no problem.

It seems that our director is experienced in moving the few AAA assets around as their schedules become busier/more relaxed.
    When it came time to put up or shut up....everyone shut up.
    The director will definitely need to be passionate about the story; otherwise he won't be hunting down people and squeezing every minute they can spare. The creative vision is the only part that cannot be shared among the community (at least not without diluting it) so having the director excited and passionate is the main thing. So the first thing that we would need to do is to come up with story plot proposals until we find one that really "Clicks" with Mr. Redwoods, no?

Quote Originally Posted by JCG View Post
    It seems that our director is experienced in moving the few AAA assets around as their schedules become busier/more relaxed.
    The director will definitely need to be passionate about the story; otherwise he won't be hunting down people and squeezing every minute they can spare. The creative vision is the only part that cannot be shared among the community (at least not without diluting it) so having the director excited and passionate is the main thing. So the first thing that we would need to do is to come up with story plot proposals until we find one that really "Clicks" with Mr. Redwoods, no?
    Well said. I like your fairy idea, but I feel that a project needs to have "punch" in order to attract (and keep) people working on it. An idea that resonates with a large portion of the people here.

A way to begin brainstorming is, what had worked in the past?
    Pixar, Dreamworks, BLender. What do they do? What is the common thread?

The common thread that I see is the "twist" at the end of a story. Something funny that happens in the end that no one expected. The story builds in one direction, then suddenly, swerves and gives the audience something unexpected, but believable to the storyline.
    // To draw is to think and discover.

...and there should probably be a cat in the story, since people like cats in this forum.

_
    Speaking of cats, I have another idea. I remember from an older thread that there are many Monkey fans here.

There was an episode in Journey to the West that was pretty cool and self-contained. The one of the Emperor in the well.

It has drama: the tragic betrayal of the emperor; emotion: the son and the mother reuniting after 3 years and discovering their loved one's fate; suspense: Monkey and Pigsy sneaking into the palace in the middle of the night looking for the body; comedy: Pigsy showing his companions how well he can wail and Tripitaka getting so moved that he started crying too was worthy of Chuck Jones; action: monkey chasing the evil wizard in his cloud and the final battle among the 4 super creatures.

For those who don't know the story, supersummarizedly it goes sort of like this:

Tripitaka and his 3 disciples are going from China to India to fetch scriptures in the mid 600s. On their way they reached the abandoned Treasure Wood Temple (OK, it was not really abandoned but who wants to model 500 priests that have no relevance on the story).

When Tripitaka is asleep, a ghost asks him for help. He was the good emperor of that small country. During a terrible drought, he had been fasting and praying for rain when a powerful wizard arrived.

The wizard made it rain and the emperor made the wizard his brother, sharing with him his house and everything he had. One day, 3 years before our story began, while the two were walking alone, hand in hand in the flower garden, the wizard pushed him into the garden's well, buried it, planted a banana tree on top and transformed into his identical likeness. Then, he used his magic to prevent the dead emperor's soul from going to the realm of the dead so that he could not place a complaint.

The wizard had been ruling in his place for 3 years and everyone had accepted him without question. As proof, the ghost gave Tripitaka a tablet. When the priest woke up, he found the tablet and realized it wasn't just a dream.

Next day, monkey transformed into a rabbit and tricked the price into following him to the temple where, with the help of the tablet they half-convinced him that the man sitting on the throne was an usurper.

So the prince went back to the palace through the back door and talked to his mother (whom the wizard had prevented him from seeing since the day of the murder) and she confirmed that the emperor had not been the same these last 3 years. The prince told her the news he got from Tripitaka and went back to the temple to plan on how to expose the impostor.

They agreed that they'd go the next morning, the prince would expose the impostor and monkey would mop him out, no matter how powerful a wizard he was.

At night, monkey told Tripitaka that the tablet might not be enough for the court and the army to believe them. They needed to fetch the dead emperor's corpse. Monkey woke up Pigsy and told him that the wizard might use the great treasure he hid under a banana tree to thwart them and he could use Pigsy's great strength to steal the treasure that night. Greedy Pigsy agreed readily and, after digging out the tree, found the well. Monkey lowered him with his stretching staff so he could look for the "treasure" inside.

Pigsy found the palace of the Dragon King of the well, who had been caring for the emperor's body all those years and had it perfectly preserved. Pigsy refused to carry out a dead body but monkey threatened with not pulling him back out if he refused. Then, he threatened to beat him up if he didn't carry the dead emperor back to the temple.

Pigsy planned his revenge on the way back and lied to Tripitaka that Monkey knew how to resurrect the emperor. Monkey objected and Pigsy convinced the gullible priest to use his secret spell to tighten the band around Monkey's head until the unbearable pain made him agree.

Not able to stand the pain, Monkey agreed to resurrect the emperor (but I think the story works better if he would stay dead until the end).

Then they go to the palace under the pretense of arranging Tripitaka's passport for crossing the country. They expose the wizard but he escapes flying in a cloud. Monkey follows but the cunning usurper transforms into Tripitaka and they don't know whom to attack. They can finally tell them apart because only Tripitaka knows the secret spell to torture Monkey.

The three disciples and the wizard engage in an epic final battle. When Monkey is about to deliver the final blow, a bodhisattva comes and explains that the wizard is her blue lion. She explains that the emperor was good but did something bad and had to spend three years in a well as punishment for the karma etc etc.

Well, if there is dialog and an approved story, I have a DJ/Actor that is willing to do a character or voice over for free. I could record dialog. Can't vouch for any other sound effects but I could take a stab at it.

_
    Or it could be about a heterogeneous group of very confused individuals who have to take a cat to the mysterious "Core" in only 13 days and 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post

I'm all for teams!
    Me 2
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

_
    Here's another one with cats

A sweet, gentle old lady is completely alone in her room, sighing about how much she wished she would have a kitten to keep her company and make her life happy.

Pan out of the house and there's a beautiful little orphan kitten meowing and scratching at her door. However, the old lady is deaf as a doorknob and she has no idea.

So the little wild creatures of the neighborhood decide to help them and alert the old lady to go to the kitten before it's too late.

However, it is not easy because the mice of the house are not interested in sharing their home with that kind of guest. They would do anything to stop them.

... maybe we should start just a thread and open a little teamproject, it is not important to say it is for siggraph! just starting something, and when it is finished newtek can use it if they like!
    people keep talking about this but no one seems to want to take the initiative. Do we really dislike eachother that much? Of course the 9.2 feature demonstrations that was done was pretty good.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    people keep talking about this but no one seems to want to take the initiative. Do we really dislike eachother that much? Of course the 9.2 feature demonstrations that was done was pretty good.
    I'm open to spearheading it, but I need a darn good script.

@JCG:
    You are doing a great job brainstorming. I like this latest cat idea. The ending will need a great twist.
    - the cat ends up robbing her
    - she ends up accepting the mice
    - she is allergic to cats and gets a dog
    - a dog hired the mice to rid the cat and get the dog instead
    - she has a pet fish
    - she has a closet full of dead cats
    - one of the mice makes her a delicious meal (haha ratatouille), then the cat eats that mouse

Things i look for in ideas:
    - simple/universal
    - original
    - minimal voice over
    - ending with a twist or what i call "punch"
    - needs a cat to draw in LW forum support

_
    Actually, I had been thinking of possible script paths if you happened to like the idea. Something with a little less of a dark, art-filmish twist and more of a mainstream cartoon twist.

There needed to be a sense of urgency; something that made getting the cat in the house time-critical. So the most solid idea I thought of so far was that the bird (who stood at the old lady's window and and realized how lonely she was) looked down and saw the kitten at her door and then looked further down the street and saw the guy from the city pound coming, with his net on his shoulder. Just then, the mice slam the window shut, revealing just how deaf the old lady is. The friendly neighborhood critters try desperate to get the kitten in before the guy from the animal pound arrives. All the while he's getting closer... CLOSER.

When they're about to succeed, the mice do a spectacular last-minute save and we see the guy from the dog pound standing tall behind kitty. He grabs him! Then he says, "Were you locked out little fellow?" He opens the door and drops kitty inside.

I'll try to think of something better but hopefully somebody else will come up with something great.

... maybe we should start just a thread and open a little teamproject, it is not important to say it is for siggraph! just starting something, and when it is finished newtek can use it if they like!
    Nah! Prizes will motivate to finish.

Maybe a kickass computer with a 30" screen can be a possibility

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast