Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Siggraph 2009 contest _ now

I'd be for participating in a team but I may still look to do something on my own. But if people need models built, things UV mapped or animated, I'd be willing to contribute.

I don't have the necessary skill to get involved, but even if I had, I'd be fearful of the terms and conditions for the entries invalidating what I'd been working on, especially if it were six months worth of work.

Although I know last years requirements were pretty loose, in fact it's probably why some entries were rated lower than might have been expected, because many were obviously just established works cut down.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dommo View Post
    a new contest. Nice idea Julez. I'd be scared off this time tho!!
    If Newtek is reading this then they maybe ignoring seeing that I got that awful STIGMA thread "stirring the hornet's nest" just roasting in here and Dommo I would expect big things from you...no running off, mister.

lol cheers Julez ...
    well, I've just finished my first Speed Modelling challenge, about to post it now.
    BRACE MEDIA
    Ensuring every picture tells your story.

New Brace Media website

Stuff
    OK, last time I wanted to participate but with the short turnaround time and limited computing power it was impossible.
    (At the time I had a Dell Inspiron with Dual Core 1.8ghz, 2GB Ram and an ATI X1400 video card ***see improved specs below***)
    I might throw something together this time, if we're given reasonable time.
    BTW If there's no response to this thread soon, maybe we should pool our money and order a pizza (while we wait)?
    Andrewstopheles

Javis Jones: Night Crew geothefaust's Avatar
    ...Or we could just get that community project rolling that was talked about last year for 9.5?

Quote Originally Posted by geothefaust View Post
    ...Or we could just get that community project rolling that was talked about last year for 9.5?
    Maybe we can just remake Big Buck Bunny, but actually give it a plot.
    // To draw is to think and discover.

Javis Jones: Night Crew geothefaust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adamredwoods View Post
    Maybe we can just remake Big Buck Bunny, but actually give it a plot.
    lol

Hear hear!

I saw Big Buck Bunny as more of a tech demo, the story wasn't that awful, I quite enjoyed it.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Hey, hey, hey....let's not bash the Bunny!

Different cultures have different story telling techniques. I will admit myself that I don't really get the gist of some cultures take on the practice. The English speaking countries tend to share the same methods.

I wish more of you guys would take an interest in Greg Sullivans project. It is now hosted over at Spinquad. http://www.spinquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128

It is an all Lightwave project (at least in the animation and rendering stages). And on top of participating in a project to promote Lightwave you get a chance to win a seat of LW just by giving it a shot! Let me reitterate that. YOU DON'T HAVE TO WIN TO WIN! Just by entering an entry, your name is entered in a drawing for the LW seat.

He has the story. He has put in some serious effort on the audio. They are in the animation stages rights now.

I liked the other bunny... Presto.
    http://www.pixar.com/shorts/presto/index.html

Anyone have an idea that's on par with that?

Haha, so the next logical step *is* to make yet another bunny movie.... any thoughts?
    Maybe a "Bill the Cat" type of bunny?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_the_Cat

_
    If it is going to be a full community project, I guess the first thing we'd need to determine is the scope, then the style, then the story.

What are people thinking of achieving? The scope would heavily affect the choice of style and story. Would the project attempt something small like... I don't know... a 2-character looney joke or something massive like... err... the 47 ronin.

One possible way to get that started could be if everyone posted the number of hours they think they could invest during these 8 months and their skill level in a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being the highest). Then, after 10 days, dividing the hours by the skill level of each person and adding them all up would give us an idea of the total amount of top-level hours that people plan on offering. Probably the project could really count on people investing about 1/4 of that. The resources available could determine the maximum scope.

But if there's going to be a community project instead of small team projects, even if it's something simple, it would need to start quickly because it has a lot of overhead.

My thought was the community project was just to make something with Lightwave on the scale of Buck Bunny. You know, with FiberFX and joints. Small projects would still be optional, as this main project would be just for fun. All source files would be open source too.

I personally, wouldn't start by thinking about number of hours, but rather, the story. People's hours fluctuate daily, and would be managed on a task-by-task basis. I've produced shorts before, and would be open to managing the process (if the story was good).

Tasks are usually broken down and fed to anyone willing to take on the task. If they can't finish it, assets are collected and fed to the next person in line. Here's a small list of my quick breakdown:
    character modeling (per model), scene modeling (per scene), background painting, texture painting, rigging (per character), scene creation (per setting), animation FX (per shot), character animation(per shot), lighting (per shot), render wrangling (per shot).

Comping, editing, and creative direction (and producing) are the people who need to be around always. Sometimes this is one person.

It's like an assembly line, and workers will come and go, but the project is still there. Sure, it may be not so consistent, but obvious scenes can be revisited. I think this is how Greg is doing it.

Call it "Community Studios"

Seriously, I think a community project would be awesome. We have almost every talent available in this here's forum. We just need some committee and a finalized, rock solid foundation and work statement to get this started.
    ASUS G2S | T7500 C2Duo @ 2.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 256MB NVidia 8600M GT | Win 7 Home 64Bit

AMD X6 1090T @ 3.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 1.2GB NVidia 470GTX | Win 7 Pro 64Bit

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast