Thread: Speed Up Render Times

Speed Up Render Times

Hey all,
    The search function doesn't seem to be working for me, so I figured I'd ask.
    Are there an tips to speed up render times? I have something that is going to have to be rendered pretty large 11x17 @ 300DPI.

I don't have Radiosity on at all and following the advice I'd gotten about a year ago, I have the Ray Recursion limit down to 4 and Adaptive Sampling turned on.

Being as it's a pinball machine, it has a lot of lights and reflective, glass-like surfaces. Rendering out at 800x600 with AA at 1 it takes over 3 minutes which leads me to believe that the above needed size might take days.

This kind of worries me, because it looks like I'll have to wait until Monday night for final approval, while the job is needed by Wednesday morning.

I'm attaching a pic of my Render Globals and the scene to give an idea.
    Thanks for any help.
    -Vincent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 8.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	67650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pinball.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	67651  
    -VTA

MacPro 2.66

We do a lot of print work and yes it takes sometimes days to render.
    You can optimize some stuff. And use some tricks for others.

What version of LW do you use? Noticed that you are on a mac. Mac UB version 9.5 is still in beta but its fast as hell on intel macs.

In render settings. You have everything checked on! Do you need refraction and occlusion? Do you have any occlusion shader applied?

Other trick is to use limited region and have multiple machines render a part of the image and than stitch it in photoshop together.

///

un-check render lines as well. a real time killer.
    We are pirates, we are artists...

Blog

Quote Originally Posted by G M D THREE View Post
    We do a lot of print work and yes it takes sometimes days to render.
    You can optimize some stuff. And use some tricks for others.

What version of LW do you use? Noticed that you are on a mac. Mac UB version 9.5 is still in beta but its fast as hell on intel macs.

In render settings. You have everything checked on! Do you need refraction and occlusion? Do you have any occlusion shader applied?

Other trick is to use limited region and have multiple machines render a part of the image and than stitch it in photoshop together.

///
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
    un-check render lines as well. a real time killer.
    Thank you fellas.
    I'm using 9.3. It's kind of odd here, where everything about the machine has to go through the IT dept, including installing updates, so I'll have to wait for permission for that.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'll put it to some use.
    -Vincent
    -VTA

MacPro 2.66

Seeing the scene, it seems that you could speed things up by separating reflections from everything else and rendering elements on top in a separate pass as well. In this way you might use shadow maps (could fake occ with a dome or spinning spotlights with a tool like LIGHTBITCH from Blochi, and even get a GI 'look') and later for the reflection pass, check out if you need raytrace reflections for everything, since you could make an environment map (adding the local scene in the map) and use a spherical reflection map for the most of reflective objects.

Gerardo

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by G M D THREE View Post
    If he doesn't have transparent surface anywere then RayTrace Refractions and RayTrace Transparency do absolute nothing and not slowing down rendering. Same with occlusion shader and RayTrace Occlusion..

Render Lines, from mine observation, was slowing down rendering only in the v9.0 or v9.2 (the one where this option was introduced). But only when geometry had any 1 and 2 point polygon (which should be cleaned up anyway at the end of modeling).

11x17 are inches? in 300 DPI is 3300x5100? That's just 35x bigger area than 800x600.. so 3 min will become 105 or so..
    Last edited by Sensei; 12-31-2008 at 11:55 AM.

Is there glass over the top of all those objects? It doesn't look like it, I'd bring up the reflection of the glass, which should have fresnel in it, and a good reflection map, preferably an hdr, would do wonders here.

You could also get away with a ray recursion of 2, most major motion pictures, like Transformers, only have 1 bounce reflection ( in LW 9.3, Ray recursion 2 equals 1 bounce reflection - as of 9.5 it's 1 for one bounce ). At the same time you'd want to render the top glass separately, it takes extra time and adds almost nothing to render them together.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)