Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NewTek marketing and publicity

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NewTek marketing and publicity

Ok, NewTek really needs to get on the marketing ball....

Just read another article about Autodesk Maya-2009. Again, it seems Autodesk is getting credited with creating stereoscopic rendering, when we've had that in Lightwave for a very long time.

It's things like this that keeps LW below the radar in many cases...NewTek needs to start blowing it's own horn a bit louder...there was a time when people watched Lightwave because it was ahead in many ways..but with some less than spectacular releases and the almost non-exhistant marketing, no one is really looking anymore.

Same thing with the VT, Tricaster, etc...

So, lets see some ads and some real articles in trade magazines and on the web..start getting the name out there again and start tempting folks away from the Autodesk empire.

Anyway, just my $.02
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Yeah... I've read something similar to that. It's interesting that LW has had so many features for years that only LW-users seem to know about.

Oh well...

........as some people working in Hollywood have said: LW is the best kept secret....

Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

User.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    ........as some people working in Hollywood have said: LW is the best kept secret....

LMAO

Talk about a marketing strategy. How Ironic!

ON the TriCaster side of things they were the number 1 story on Wired.com
    http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/...udio-in-a.html

Cool about tricaster I'm more into the cg stuff and havent used the new VT or anything because I have to deal with AE and stuff like that..now if NewTek made a great compositing/fx package...hehe

But, yeah..those little features that we (LW users) have taken for granted since the early days...I have constantly been unimpressed when freinds will say 'look what i can do in maya (or max)', and I just say..oh yeah, I've been able to do that for years..there are alot of everyday tools and features that are just now showing up in the bloated-overpriced 'high end' packages. To be sure, LW lacks some things...but if NT were to start pushing the things it does do wery well.... The renderer..LW's renderer (to me) is the fastest and most useful (without having to spend $$ on a 3rd party render)..as just an example.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

I'm hoping v10 will turn things around.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm hoping v10 will turn things around.
    Agreed. I don't expect to see Lightwave as a serious competitor to a mega corporation like Autodesk but I would like to see Lightwave really taken seriously and seen as a professional application in the 3D industry.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Agreed. I don't expect to see Lightwave as a serious competitor to a mega corporation like Autodesk but I would like to see Lightwave really taken seriously and seen as a professional application in the 3D industry.
    Exactly, I too get the feeling other 3D users look down their noses at us 'wavers.

I don't know how it happened exactly, but LightWave appears to have become the Lada of the 3D world in some peoples eyes.

Perfectly capable, secretly admired, yet no one wants to admit to using it!

How do we shake the stigma? Simple, give the industry what they want in a _professional_ looking application.

If the software is good enough, the marketing should take care of itself (or will certainly be easier!)
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Exactly, I too get the feeling other 3D users look down their noses at us 'wavers.

I don't know how it happened exactly, but LightWave appears to have become the Lada of the 3D world in some peoples eyes.

Perfectly capable, secretly admired, yet no one wants to admit to using it!

How do we shake the stigma? Simple, give the industry what they want in a _professional_ looking application.

If the software is good enough, the marketing should take care of itself (or will certainly be easier!)
    People who do sneer at us seem to be involved with character animation?
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

'regards pro looking'...well i think maya's u.i. always looked like a chad valley learning app..didn't do it any harm though did it! so i'm not so sure that just a U.I. makeover will help that much...

but i think people DO like to see something DIFFERENT in a new version sometimes from an app's upgrade as 'perception' from non wavers usually goes like this>>

non waver friend's usual comments>
    oh...err looks the same as lightwave 5.6 really and the second thing they ALWAYS ask...is it STILL 2 separate apps?

it's hard to win people over to lightwave if they "think" it looks 10years old and hasn't basically moved on from being 2 separate apps due to memory limits on the amiga and 2 coders making it 2 apps in the 90's. [both have moved on in that dept as we all know]

solve those 2 basic things and you might keep someone's attention into looking at and downloading the demo of lightwave 10 when it comes out.

harsh words i know..i like lightwave and it was a good app to teach with for new users of 3d..were also going into a recession in 2009 and there's now a "gap" where xsi foundation once was to get people into it..if newtek can overhaul the look of lightwave and get the thing glued together into 1 app then they have a road in with brand new users and people adding another 3d app "if" there something unique to be gained from adding lightwave to say maya, xsi, zbrush etc..

make lightwave 1 app that plays EXTREEEMLY well with zbrush making it almost transparent in using zbrush models wih ZERO hassle loading and setting up zbrush stuff and you have an app with "an edge".

i'd love to see newtek talking to pixologic as both companies buck the trend and "do it their way" if they could get together and
    offer something outstanding compared to other workflows then we could see a resurgence with "the wave"
    Last edited by cresshead; 12-29-2008 at 08:28 PM.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    non waver friend's usual comments>
    oh...err looks the same as lightwave 5.6 really

it's hard to win people over to lightwave if they "think" it looks 10years old
    YEA that's why they should've kept the 7.5 scheme!!
    Remember the gradients?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	67730  
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

NewTek marketing and publicity?

my 2 cents:

Lightwave is the software behind Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, CSI, Firefly, Dogfights, .. if it's on TV, and looks good, it's a good guess it's Lightwave.

This is the biggest Asset for Lightwave Markteting. Millions of ppl watch these shows every day.

I would utilize this fact to the maximum extend possible.

Just go to Youtube. Search for "Dogfights", "Firefly" or "Battlestar". Just think about the fan base those shows create.

Try a viral campaign, make sure everybody knows the software that let the Battlestar fly, add some project based tutorials, extend the free trial period.
    "The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday - but never jam to-day." "It MUST come sometimes to "jam to-day,"" Alice objected.

My stuff at YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    NewTek marketing and publicity?

my 2 cents:

Lightwave is the software behind Battlestar Galactica
    Been catching up on BSG season 4.

Best freakin' effects in a tv show... EVER.

I don't really watch tv anymore, just movies, and I've become jaded with effects, and that makes tv look really cheap... then BSG shocks me again...
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

Realistically, its not an issue of look, or what 3rd party apps it works directly with..Maya and zbrush dont play well together either. I'm not trying to start a discussion on what features we need, there are other threads for that. I'm addressing NewTek's visibility.

Simply put, Lightwave has not had exposure, and thats what I'm talking about..Siggraph is fine, but what about the other 51 weeks of the year? The few magazines I've looked at recently have no real ads for LW, and there are no reviews, etc.. It used to be common practice for a developer to send a copy of their new app to reveiwers and such to generate interest and exposure.

There are still alot of high end production companies that use LW for some high profile work, but no one knows about it because it's become a kind of pariah to say you use Lightwave...NewTek needs to change that..and it cant wait until LW10.

Word of mouth works, and I can say that I've managed to create a few converts myself, but it's not enough.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

re magazine adverts and reviews..i'm not sure "magazines" are where it's at in 2009..i don't buy mag's anymore for example except when there's a huge freeby on a disc.

newtek have a hard road to tread thesedays with autodesk owning all the major players and so the college "way in" for learning and games and film studio's using autodesk products.

bottomline> lightwave, cinema, modo, zbrush, houdini, 3dcoat, daz studio, carrara etc have to offer something "different" to the autodesk products be it as simple as a cheaper option to actual unique features and workflows that aid people in creating 3d based images and animations.

to combat this situation newtek can and should use the internet..they have as you know one of the BEST live streaming studio setup on planet earth...[tricaster] and we live in a youtube/facebook/podcasting world thesedays so having a newtek 'channel'
    they could make good inroads also maybe add a model/scene retail shop based around the likes of turbosquid/daz could help with revenue streams..we have after all one of THE BEST forums available with a good userbase of talent.

maybe lightwave 10 could be the RE launch of newtek for 3D...i'm hoping so anyhow!
    Last edited by cresshead; 12-29-2008 at 09:00 PM.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast