Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: NewTek marketing and publicity

Quote Originally Posted by Limbus View Post
    - getting shots done fast
    - renderengine easy to use and powerfull
    - lot of LW users are "generalists" that can work on many aspects of a production
    - not owned by Autodesk ;-)
    This in not enough anymore. It used to be, but even in TV or commercials people are demanding things that LW simply can't do (or can't do without tedious repetitive non cost effecttive manual labor). Nearly every ad or film we've gotten in the past 3 years needs something 'weird' or 'wow factor' that LW simply can't deliver. Combine that with LW's poor linear workflow and shops that get the demanding sexy highprofile jobs stay away from it.

They need to address the capability of LW by itself and in a pipeline. This isn't a marketing problem. Personally I'd like to see the entire renderer rewritten to be renderman compatible so you could start selling it as THE fast raytracing solution for any shop. I think Newtek needs to be that ambitious to get back into the game.
    Last edited by Mike_RB; 01-07-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    my personal company: http://www.elementvfx.com
    the people I've worked for: http://www.theembassyvfx.com

A bit of a random interjection, but I saw this today, and, maybe it's just me, but I really liked the video! (The program looks right up my street too!)

I'd love to see something as bold at say SIGGRAPH on the huge screen for LW10!

UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_RB View Post
    Make it the tool of choice to top end VFX, make it easy to use, and it will will trickle down. Make it invaluable when compared to maya and XSI and Houdini and Mental Ray and Renderman and Mantra. Thats who you have to go play with. Be better then them, way better at something and you'll get the shops using it. Stop playing the 'value' card. To professional VFX shops the difference between $1000 and $5000 for the main tool you use to get stuff done is nominal.
    Epic Agree. Invaluable advice here. High end houses aren't sweating the cost as long as the end result in quality and workflow efficiency is there.
    -----------------
    KC

Quote Originally Posted by Intuition View Post
    Epic Agree. Invaluable advice here. High end houses aren't sweating the cost as long as the end result in quality and workflow efficiency is there.
    I have to differ somewhat here...

Almost every big house have tons of years of custom code applied into Maya to make full use of the toolset and also circumvent apparent issues. Those houses wouldn't even switch to XSI because of all the value they have, and why should they? It works for them. Those are not really a target for NewTek, even though some of them are relying on LW for some of the work.

One apparent problem with Maya is the fact that custom coding is more or less a requierment, even when doing things that LW can do without workarounds (this is something I see daily, btw). For a small studio, it can be costly to have someone come over to write MEL or C to get something to work. So, while those big houses can have a neat workflow in a huge pipeline, doesn't automaticly mean smaller houses or individuals can have the same. Codertalent IS a huge part of those bigger houses success with Maya.

However, I do agree that LW-renderengine is something I would like to see as a third party renderer for other apps. It is currently (and has been for quite some time), the strongest part of LW.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

This in not enough anymore. It used to be, but even in TV or commercials people are demanding things that LW simply can't do (or can't do without tedious repetitive non cost effecttive manual labor).
    Ahh... but then again, if a company like Digital Domain uses LW for it's fast turnaround, it has to mean something, right?

The article I'm refering to is about some cars with "special" abillities. The link was avaliable on www.lightwave3d.com (under LightWave News) some time ago, but it seems to have been removed. :/ I'll scout some more to see if I can find it. It's not anything special, but they pulled those 4 (or was it 5) spots in about 5 weeks.
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Ahh... but then again, if a company like Digital Domain uses LW for it's fast turnaround, it has to mean something, right?

The article I'm refering to is about some cars with "special" abillities. The link was avaliable on www.lightwave3d.com (under LightWave News) some time ago, but it seems to have been removed. :/ I'll scout some more to see if I can find it. It's not anything special, but they pulled those 4 (or was it 5) spots in about 5 weeks.
    Make sure its in the last 2 years too.

Found it!

http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomon...rss/10093.html

3 spots, 5 weeks...

Model, Render = LW
    Animation = Maya
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Make sure its in the last 2 years too.
    The article was published October 23, 2008..

EDIT: Btw... you are aware of the fact that DD are looking for LW-talents right now? It was a post about it in the jobs-section not that long ago...

EDIT2: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92800
    Last edited by Cageman; 01-07-2009 at 03:13 PM.
    Cinematics Department
    -----
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I think that for products to seriously get noticed, they have to excel at at least one particular thing to get people really excited. What is the USP for Lightwave? Where could it seriously do damage to competitors?
    aleady covered that.

Found it!

3 spots, 5 weeks...

Model, Render = LW
    Animation = Maya
    Right. Let me know when plug-in renderers for maya make the export process to LW not worth it. That's what has happened with The Embassy. For IronMan and our 2nd to last car ad it was:

model: modo animate: XSI render:LW

for the latest car ad and the current film were doing its:
    model: modo animate: XSI render: XSI

Newtek has to step it up for LW to stay as anything but a renderer in these shops.
    Last edited by Mike_RB; 01-07-2009 at 04:14 PM.

I've meddled in Modo a bit..It looks good..the interface is still a bit out there for me..hehe. Of course, I learned the Maya interface, so with more time Modo will be ok.

I knew there was something about that ad...the models looked too good for maya, but the animation was a little more than LW..but the visuals had LW written all over it.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 16 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Exactly, I too get the feeling other 3D users look down their noses at us 'wavers.

I don't know how it happened exactly, but LightWave appears to have become the Lada of the 3D world in some peoples eyes.

Perfectly capable, secretly admired, yet no one wants to admit to using it!

How do we shake the stigma? Simple, give the industry what they want in a _professional_ looking application.

If the software is good enough, the marketing should take care of itself (or will certainly be easier!)
    People who do sneer at us seem to be involved with character animation?
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Found it!

3 spots, 5 weeks...

Model, Render = LW
    Animation = Maya
    Thanks for showing! It's funny how there is this maya, max and xsi ad right in the middle of the article though LOL!
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Yes, Character Animation is the big thing now..Maya's tools are great for that...LW's not as much..but we're getting better...so, they think they're better...of course, I guess you have to have some loyalty to pay $7000 for one seat of an app, eh?
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Thanks for showing! It's funny how there is this maya, max and xsi ad right in the middle of the article though LOL!
    Thats at the heart of my original reason for starting the thread...LW is getting overshadowed, even in an article that basically features LW as a main component in a production. People will see the Autodesk Empire logo..while the NewTek logo is no where in sight.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast