Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NewTek marketing and publicity

NewTek marketing and publicity?

my 2 cents:

Lightwave is the software behind Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, CSI, Firefly, Dogfights, .. if it's on TV, and looks good, it's a good guess it's Lightwave.

This is the biggest Asset for Lightwave Markteting. Millions of ppl watch these shows every day.

I would utilize this fact to the maximum extend possible.

Just go to Youtube. Search for "Dogfights", "Firefly" or "Battlestar". Just think about the fan base those shows create.

Try a viral campaign, make sure everybody knows the software that let the Battlestar fly, add some project based tutorials, extend the free trial period.
    "The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday - but never jam to-day." "It MUST come sometimes to "jam to-day,"" Alice objected.

My stuff at YouTube

Well, one reason for LW's initial success was that it was part of the Video Toaster suite...so not only were studios buying a video editing system, they were getting a strong 3d animation package too...Why did Nt decide to stop packaging LW with the new Toaster?

Yeah, some sort of viral thingy....People already know the shows that LW is responsible for, they just dont know that LW did it...I had many conversations with maya people who swore that maya or max was the main app in battlestar..and firefly..at least until I point them to a few sites..sites that maya and max users generally dont see.

The project list on the LW page is impressive, and shows that it is still being used in some major work..but maybe it could be expanded a little to show what LW was used for on those movies and shows. Seeing that it was used for a specific effect or sequence might help some folks to decide to try it.

The 'discovery' edition of LW I think needs to be fully functional..and not watermarked. I know that there are people inside studios who try out software and then pitch getting the software to their big wigs...being limited to geometry, not saving and watermarked output makes it hard to do that...most apps have a 30day trial period, but are fully functional during that period
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    NewTek marketing and publicity?

my 2 cents:

Lightwave is the software behind Battlestar Galactica
    Been catching up on BSG season 4.

Best freakin' effects in a tv show... EVER.

I don't really watch tv anymore, just movies, and I've become jaded with effects, and that makes tv look really cheap... then BSG shocks me again...
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

Awe c'mon...SciFi channel originals are all top notch...LOL
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    Yeah, some sort of viral thingy....People already know the shows that LW is responsible for, they just dont know that LW did it...I had many conversations with maya people who swore that maya or max was the main app in battlestar..and firefly..at least until I point them to a few sites..sites that maya and max users generally dont see.
    There is an enormous fan base out there, with conventions, etc. If I would be Newtek Marketing, I would go there and dispense the trial version plus video tutorials, probably including some spaceship models, if possible.

I would make sure all the fan base websites would get links to those "making of" vids and interviews and news, like this:

http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=14257

This would be the way to circumvent the fact that Autodesk is in the schools and colleges. After all, school was boring, wasn't it?
    "The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday - but never jam to-day." "It MUST come sometimes to "jam to-day,"" Alice objected.

My stuff at YouTube

most fans of BSG dont give a rats as$ about how it was made. you know that vast majority of viewers arent going to run out and spend 1k on 3d software right?

the whole point of targeting CG students is because its a very specific demographic...

I could think of much better uses of resources than going to conventions. siggraph seems to be the only worthwhile one (since all attendees care about the software).

just targeting all viewers is far too broad... newtek needs to get VERY specific about who they go after if they want to do it with limited resources.
    Last edited by Stooch; 01-04-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Now thats an idea...scifi conventions and such...there are alot people there that would love to get into making spaceships and monsters..NewTek having a booth with big ol' pics of Battlestar, Firefly and Star Trek and passing out demo software of the actual package used for those would be a cool thing...I know that if they did that when I went to one, Ida been happy to see the software used.

The content disks already have spaceships and robots to play with, so they wouldnt have to really come up with new stuff...just a dvd with LW, tutorials and content..tada..
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Technical Account Manager - Channel Support

The 'discovery' edition of LW I think needs to be fully functional..and not watermarked. I know that there are people inside studios who try out software and then pitch getting the software to their big wigs...being limited to geometry, not saving and watermarked output makes it hard to do that...most apps have a 30day trial period, but are fully functional during that period

The current trial edition is fully functional for 30 Days and includes a ton of Training Videos and Content to get going with.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Ahh, i stand corrected then

Well, then..they just need to make sure it's not 9.5.0...hehe
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Now thats an idea...scifi conventions and such...there are alot people there that would love to get into making spaceships and monsters..

We are talking about features X, Y and Z (that Lightwave needs oh so desperatly), thinking about how to get into schools and colleges, or how to win over users of other apps. That's fine, but.. well.

There are probably millions of fans out there, many of them geeks who discuss the capability of different types of warp drive engines. Tech savvy people who buy model kits like this:

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/Big...atalogPage.htm

some of them pay up to 7900$ to buy things like this:

http://uk.gizmodo.com/2008/03/19/buy...zed_cylon.html

They have huge computers and strange joysticks for their flight simulators. People who are crazy about anything sci fi or aviation.

Or look at "Dogfights". There are so many ppl out there absolutely crazy about anything millitary / aviation. They have tons of skillfully painted models, and a shelf full of books. And 99.9% of them do not have the faintest idea which 3d software was used to create the stuff they love so much.

Make sure the people know the 3D software behind it!

I mean, the whole idea of getting into 3D design is the strong desire to create something. Give them the tools.

Make some introduction videos especially geared that way, add some project based tutorials. Maybe some exclusive making of vids and interviews with VFX artists.

And as a start, go into their forums and drop some links to the siggraph and making of vids.
    Last edited by Dirk; 01-05-2009 at 04:19 AM.

My stuff at YouTube

I was just at a 3D fair in Hamburg that a local Software dealer arranged. There where lots of interesting speakers there and software and hardware verndors showed theyr products. Maxon, Autodesk, Eyeon, Vray, Quast 3D, Adobe, PNY and HP. Some 300+ people visited the show and only 3 of them where Lightwave users. Me, a friend from Berlin and some unknown other dude.

When telling people that I was a Lightwave user I got some scary looks and comments like "What is Lightwave?" or "That package still exists?".

Just to make a long story short: Lightwave is pretty much unknown to newer and even some older 3D users in germany. And marketing by NewTek Europe is pretty much non existant. There where some NewTek people at FBX (the main DCC show here) some years ago but nothing in the last years.

So: no Roadshow, no booth at important fairs and not much else. I really hope this will change because LW is a very good system for an even better price and NewTek really needs to start marketing the advantages of LW here in germany.

One good way would be to outfit schools and universitys with free licenses so LW will at least get installed on computers for the students to use. Lots of CAD manufacturers do this already (Nemektschek Allplan, Archicad by Graphisoft etc...) and they even provide free training for teachers.
    A roadshow would be even better!

Cheers, Florian
    3DGrafikvonBehr
    Sys: 2x Mac Pro, 8x 2.8 Ghz, GeForce 8800 GT, 10 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.5 and Vista Business 64

Make it the tool of choice to top end VFX, make it easy to use, and it will will trickle down. Make it invaluable when compared to maya and XSI and Houdini and Mental Ray and Renderman and Mantra. Thats who you have to go play with. Be better then them, way better at something and you'll get the shops using it. Stop playing the 'value' card. To professional VFX shops the difference between $1000 and $5000 for the main tool you use to get stuff done is nominal.
    Last edited by Mike_RB; 01-07-2009 at 08:51 AM.
    my personal company: http://www.elementvfx.com
    the people I've worked for: http://www.theembassyvfx.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_RB View Post
    Make it the tool of choice to top end VFX, make it easy to use, and it will will trickle down.
    I highly dubt that it can be done without very good marketing.

Make it invaluable when compared to maya and XSI and Houdini and Mental Ray and Renderman and Mantra. Thats who you have to go play with. Be better then them, way better at something and you'll get the shops using it.
    I think LW is better in some areas. E.g. when you have to get stuff done fast. They just have to communicate this better. I don't think that they can compete with the high end functions of Maya, mr or XSI now or in the foreseable future but that stuff is just one (rather small) market.

Stop playing the 'value' card. To professional VFX shops the difference between $1000 and $5000 for the main tool you use to get stuff done is nominal.
    I would not mind if NT would raise the price of LW because right now it is so cheap that people will not take LW serious just because of this. But I also believe that price does play a role. Maybe not for the bigger shops but for small shops it does. And it surely does when someone thinks about adding LW as another package in the pipeline.

Cheers, Florian
    3DGrafikvonBehr
    Sys: 2x Mac Pro, 8x 2.8 Ghz, GeForce 8800 GT, 10 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.5 and Vista Business 64

LW Watcher
    This debate has been running as long as I can remember. With a limited marketing budget I think it takes some serious guerilla marketing to get the word out and I'm not sure that Newtek has the right mindset for that. I think that for products to seriously get noticed, they have to excel at at least one particular thing to get people really excited. What is the USP for Lightwave? Where could it seriously do damage to competitors?

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    What is the USP for Lightwave? Where could it seriously do damage to competitors?
    - getting shots done fast
    - renderengine easy to use and powerfull
    - lot of LW users are "generalists" that can work on many aspects of a production
    - not owned by Autodesk ;-)
    3DGrafikvonBehr

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast