Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NewTek marketing and publicity

Quote Originally Posted by Stooch View Post
    play nice and COMPLEMENT. resistance is futile.
    Yes, totally agree! Those who try and fight fire with fire, will, well, lose!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Well, max and maya are proprietary to autoddesk, and i seriously doubt they're going to allow NT to include an import/export for those...but thats not really relevant to a marketing strategy..thats more of a product strategy....It doesnt matter how 'compatible' it is if no one knows about it...and thats the point of this thread..marketing LW.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 16 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    Well, max and maya are proprietary to autoddesk, and i seriously doubt they're going to allow NT to include an import/export for those...but thats not really relevant to a marketing strategy..thats more of a product strategy....It doesnt matter how 'compatible' it is if no one knows about it...and thats the point of this thread..marketing LW.
    there is nothing stopping LW from compositing effects on top of maya output. there is nothing stopping people from using point oven to transfer animation to LW and is actually quite common

Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    It doesnt matter how 'compatible' it is if no one knows about it...and thats the point of this thread..marketing LW.
    I don't think _that_ many people are unaware that LightWave exists, certainly not to anyone who's 'into' 3D.

It's whether they see it as a viable alternative to the big guns.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

User.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I don't think _that_ many people are unaware that LightWave exists, certainly not to anyone who's 'into' 3D.

Once one realizes his artistic capabilities in 3D, or their potentials, hed want to buy one. THERE, THATS where LW aswell should be on the list somewhere. And not expect users to get in it by shear luck! The only reason I choose LW compared to Maya back then was because LW was blue. Thats it thats all.

And had narrowed the search to MoCap capable software. The name is also inviting, but I dont see LW in any list, how do they expect customers to join us with that much secretive marketing?

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    not one to be a party pooper but adding those 3 commercial plugins to get exr, render to layers and instancing makes 'lightwave' as an option pretty expensive...
    I'm sure that if these were bundled with LW by default (i.e. included) they'd sell at a discount.
    After all, for any of them it would be like a 100x - 1000x increase in user base and licenses, that leaves a bit of wiggly room for a rebate

Cheers,
    Mike

Actually i am quite bright and have a high IQ score to back it up.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein.

p.s. I regularly steal work from studios like yours because i can underbid you while delivering the same or superior quality by myself just thought id throw that out there lol.
    Thats why I run a company with staff and you run a basement with a computer in your moms hose.

///

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

From what I see in colleges and schools, you'd be amazed at how little good graphics students know about the wonderful world of 3D software, let alone Lightwave. Once they realise they can make something as good as Ghost Warrior on a cheapo PC they make a beeline for the websites. 'Which is the best?' is usually the second question. Once they're done with the eye candy the first question is always 'How much'?

I take the point you and Stooch make about Autodesk and education, but I know plenty of school and college Art, Media and Film departments who haven't a clue about 3D... in fact many are scared of it. Then there are enthusiastic staff with limited budgets. A pretty unfortunate scenario for young graphic artists and hardly good for the industry. Newtek have nothing to lose by raising awareness among students and staff by offering even cheaper educational discounts (it's still too high compared to the competition, even C4D). If they do nothing then Blender, once it gets its GUI sorted out, will gradually fill the gap.
    Last edited by bobakabob; 12-31-2008 at 06:32 AM.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by G M D THREE View Post
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein.

Thats why I run a company with staff and you run a basement with a computer in your moms hose.

///
    lol is that what you think? all i can do is laugh at your assumptions and your complete inability to argue my points while resorting to impotent jabs.

you should keep in mind that for your vitriol to be effective, your opinion actually has to mean something

and yes, all i would need is a computer and a basement to serve your entire staff. with higher margins to boot.

LW Watcher
    I guess when the name calling and derogatory statements start, nobody looks very clever.

Actually its relatively easy and cheap for students to get access to software. Houdini for example will sell you a full app for 90 bucks is it?

notice how even though its so accessible, its barely a blip on the radar. I feel that the opportunity to get into the grassroots level at schools is long gone. For lightwave, your best bet is to go to DAVE school.

I went to SCAD.edu and I was one of very few artists on campus that used LW. The sense of elitism was already apparent, that and mayas ubiquitous grip on the labs (and lightwaves IT unfriendly dongle licensing scheme) Frankly, if i run a college program, my first concern will be job placement. So if i had to choose between maya and lw, unfortunatelly for newtek i would have to go with maya - even though i use and love lightwave. You see, my responsibility at that point is to my students, not newtek.

now, if newtek provided an intuitive effects solution that gave me excellent results with less technical development than maya, i wouldnt feel guilty for adding lightwave to the lab and have students diversify their skills. However, why would i want to offer lightwave to students if it tried to compete with mayas vast feature set with a bargain mentality?

the students dont care about the fact that lightwave is cheap! they already have access to all the software they need on campus...

any sensible student will only care about one thing... will they get hired for their skillset. The few multiapp prodigies are a very small segment of the market... To me, lightwave is the tool of the veteran, as evidenced by the relatively older age demographic. If you can show students that they can get all these kickass effects, EASILY for their reel... then we are talking! perhaps you can even appeal DIRECTLY to students instead of the college.

Quote Originally Posted by bobakabob View Post
    From what I see in colleges and schools, you'd be amazed at how little good graphics students know about the wonderful world of 3D software, let alone Lightwave. Once they realise they can make something as good as Ghost Warrior on a cheapo PC they make a beeline for the websites. 'Which is the best?' is usually the second question. Once they're done with the eye candy the first question is always 'How much'?

I take the point you and Stooch make about Autodesk and education, but I know plenty of school and college Art, Media and Film departments who haven't a clue about 3D... in fact many are scared of it. Then there are enthusiastic staff with limited budgets. A pretty unfortunate scenario for young graphic artists and hardly good for the industry. Newtek have nothing to lose by raising awareness among students and staff by offering even cheaper educational discounts (it's still too high compared to the competition, even C4D). If they do nothing then Blender, once it gets its GUI sorted out, will gradually fill the gap.
    Last edited by Stooch; 12-31-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I guess when the name calling and derogatory statements start, nobody looks very clever.
    or making "clever" posts that have nothing to do with the topic.

Me arguing good.

All I know is that when I went looking for a job a few months ago, there were no LW jobs to be found anywhere near me. I was lucky enough to find a place who hired me anyway and are letting me learn 3D Max on the job. Did I kick and scream and say no I can only use LW. Well maybe a little bit, but you learn what you need to learn, and now I will be more valuable because I am going to know two 3D application.

Honestly if I were to start over I probably wouldn't learn LW from the beginning, I would pick it up later, but my primary focus would by Maya or Max. I'm more concerned with having employment then justifying my belief that Lightwave is better.

I went to SCAD.edu and I was one of very few artists on campus that used LW. The sense of elitism was already apparent, that and mayas ubiquitous grip on the labs (and lightwaves IT unfriendly dongle licensing scheme) Frankly, if i run a college program, my first concern will be job placement. So if i had to choose between maya and lw, unfortunatelly for newtek i would have to go with maya - even though i use and love lightwave. You see, my responsibility at that point is to my students, not newtek.
    Hmm... yeah... If I would ever start a school, I would make sure to get some good Maya-guys to join me. However, I would also bring up LW to show off some artistfriendly (as in not techy MEL-coding) ways of doing things in LW, probably also as a compliment to Maya. As we all know, some students may want to go freelance or start their own company and knowing about LW (and the I/O to work with apps like Maya) is probably a very good thing, imho.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    non waver friend's usual comments>
    oh...err looks the same as lightwave 5.6 really

it's hard to win people over to lightwave if they "think" it looks 10years old
    YEA that's why they should've kept the 7.5 scheme!!
    Remember the gradients?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	67730  
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast