Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Timer Recording?

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by animlab View Post
    Jose, it is not frame accurated. In my test it is about +/- 1 frame accurated for most of time. So I add one frame in the script and it now is + 0-2 frame accurated.

BTW. you don't need to exit SE to use the new edited value. Just close capture panel the re-lauch it again. User Scripts is read when the panel is launched.
    That works great, close and open Capture
    And yes, +/- 1-2 frames depending on the frame selected.

Like Carlin, I want to thank you very much.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Event Photo and Video Seattle-HotShot's Avatar
    I've recently started playing with WinDV again, to do time lapse recording. There is a setting to record 1 frame every /n frames, and another to start a new clip after x many frames. Would this capture script be able to do something like that? I would love to be able to do a timelapse of clouds going by, at full HDV resolution. I'm less excited about recording a full day of video to my hard drive and speeding it up

This was one feature I used in VT with their capture panel, and it was pretty fun.

Carlin in Seattle
    Carlin Comm
    BlueStar Productions
    carlincomm.com
    http://twitter.com/carlincomm

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle-HotShot View Post
    I've recently started playing with WinDV again, to do time lapse recording. There is a setting to record 1 frame every /n frames, and another to start a new clip after x many frames. Would this capture script be able to do something like that? I would love to be able to do a timelapse of clouds going by, at full HDV resolution. I'm less excited about recording a full day of video to my hard drive and speeding it up

This was one feature I used in VT with their capture panel, and it was pretty fun.
    The TScript command for SE seems unable to control the time-lapse recording feature as VT dose. However it is possible to user timer to similate time-lapse recording as a sequence of TGA or PNG files. You can convert it later to AVI or other video format you wanted.
    =============
    Chen Pan

[email protected]
    =============

Yeah I'd be ok with a series of stills, not quite as elegant but not a bad compromise.

The biggest reason I'm not doing it with my Canon EOS digital SLR is I hate the idea of that shutter and mirror cycling every 15 seconds for the next day or what ever! At least a little video camera can do a live video output and not have any running parts!
    Carlin Comm
    BlueStar Productions
    carlincomm.com

Sorry, my mistake. SE's capture panel was unable to save picture file, since it was unable to choose file format.
    =============
    Chen Pan

[email protected]
    =============

Yeah I was kind of thinking that, thought you had a work around through the script. Thanks though!

Any Tricaster users paying attention? Can a Tricaster do frame at a time time lapse recording?

just curious
    Carlin Comm
    BlueStar Productions
    carlincomm.com

TriCaster can capture still (JPG only) under the "Capture Media" tab but no time laspe.
    You can automatic capture sequence by following scripts:

Code:
    //====================================
    // Time Lapse/TriCaster by Chen Pan, AnimLab
    //

// Use ticks value to change the time lapse interval, unit in msec, 1000=1sec
    ticks = 1000

CapSeq=CreateControl(255 101 102 "SkinControl_SubControl_Layers")
    CapSeq:{ AddCallback("Timer", code(GrabStill())) }

CreateShortCut("alt b", code(CapSeq:{StopTimer() StartTimer(ticks)}), "OrderedFocus", 100)
    CreateShortCut("alt n", code(CapSeq:StopTimer()), "OrderedFocus", 100)

//==============================================

Create a "User Scripts" sub-directory under
    C:\TriCaster\SkinPro3\BlackBoxDesktop\MediaCapture _Tab\
    and save the script as
    C:\TriCaster\SkinPro3\BlackBoxDesktop\MediaCapture _Tab\User Scripts\TimeLapse.ToasterScript

Launch TriCaster, click "Capture Media" tab, set the "Capture Details / Input" and "Capture Details / Name". Then,
    use alt-B key to start the sequence capture, and
    use alt-N to stop the capture.

The captured still sequence are jpg files. You can use any converter to convert them to AVI or MPG.
    Last edited by animlab; 12-30-2008 at 08:36 AM.
    =============
    Chen Pan

[email protected]
    =============

Chen,
    I recently acquired a JVC ProHD GY-HD100 camera. Using the Capture panel does not work well with short clips as SE does not do a good job with this camera it seems (the person who I got it from confirmed the same problem).
    So I tried your script on it to capture the whole tape. Problem is, SE capture over rides the script when capturing HDV and automatically does scene detection
    I know the script works because I have used it on a live feed and my Sony DSR-11 deck so it is HDV and SE capture that is the problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

NewTek have designed the HDV capture with time stamp detection (AutoChop) always on to avoid the timecode issues with mpeg2 (m2t file). So it might override the script by design. You cannot capture HDV full tape as one clip.
    Also, my customers report that when capturing HDV footage from camera, if there are glitch (timecode/video breaks) in tape or clips are too short, the captured clips might be unable to use. There will be a miscalculated end point of the clip and unable to playback normally.

Here are the comments from NewTek FAQ:
    Why is Auto Chop always enabled for HDV?

MPEG footage is dependent on the timecode stored on the tape. If there are timecode breaks, then clip length, editing and playback will be inconsistent.

This is not a SpeedEDIT limitation, all other applications that we have examined have some problem with MPEG files with timecode breaks.

By breaking the capture into multiple files as the timecode changes, we are able to avoid these problems while preserving the timecode.

We took this step in order to make the editing experience as trouble free as possible.

=====================
    Why does HDV capture in SpeedEDIT require Auto Chop?

Given the variable nature of MPEG-2 I-frames in HDV material, Auto Chop assures that every clip will have a proper end-frame.
    =============
    Chen Pan

[email protected]
    =============

I can confirm this exact problem and reason I was hoping your script would help.
    Hope this is changed in the future.

Thanks for the very quick response but what about a start and end time based on time code of the tape? Like a batch capture but one at a time? Is this possible to script?
    You manually advance the tape in the capture panel and then use a script to mark start and end. Then you manually rewind the tape and use new script to record this time. Is this possible?
    Would have to be automatically generated new timed recording based on time code but I do not dare over simplifying programming.
    I know you are a very good programmer and hope you can find away to add a new plug-in for us users needing this.

Take care and thanks as always,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    I can confirm this exact problem and reason I was hoping your script would help.
    Hope this is changed in the future.
    There are some other HDV capture program such as "HDVsplit" might be able to capture full HDV tape.
    IMHO, timecode breaks should not be a problem, users can choose ignore timecode and stick to the tape time. And I don't think I-frame issues are problems since each section (record) of video should begin with an I-frame.
    The HDV problems I met were all happen to the HDV outpoint and video breaks. That will end in bad video noise, wrong clip length and simetimes SpeedEDIT hung at bad clip.

Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    Thanks for the very quick response but what about a start and end time based on time code of the tape? Like a batch capture but one at a time? Is this possible to script? You manually advance the tape in the capture panel and then use a script to mark start and end. Then you manually rewind the tape and use new script to record this time. Is this possible?
    The script is based on timer. It did not read the tape time or timecode. But it might be possible to do batch with SDK. The problem is SDK is too hard to dig in. I don't know how much time it will take to find out it is possible or not.

I suggest that NewTek set up a VT/TC/SE/3P developer forum and have someone answering the SDK questions there. During last few years, Dr. Andrew answered some of my SDK questions personally. If number of developers grow, he will have less time in future product developement. I don't like to bother him too much. A forum with a proper moderator might help, I hope.
    =============
    Chen Pan

[email protected]
    =============

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123