Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Timer Recording?

Timer Recording?

Is there a way to do in SpeedEDIT a timed or timer recording? So I can put the out point for 10 minutes and I don't have to watch the video go down? This was in T2 how lame is this that it is not in SpeedEDIT or am I missing it?

Thanks....

No Batch Capture, yet. Is it really that hard to capture 12min. and cut off 2? Geez, always wanting more, but doesn't NT mostly give it to us?

Hang in there!
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Well, you need to remember that SpeedEDIT is a stand-alone NLE, comparable to VT-Edit in the old VT. While you are talking about the capture module in the VT, which is NOT a part of the NLE.

Because of this modular nature of VT, I think that is why some normal parts of a NLE, such as timed capture, time lapse capture, frame capture, batch capture, and capture of other formats are missing from SpeedEDIT. Actually, the capture part of SpeedEDIT is fairly primative. Newtek may have forgotten what was in VT that isn't in their stand-alone NLE.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Event Photo and Video Seattle-HotShot's Avatar
    I really miss the time lapse frame recorder that was in VT, in my SE. I was so bummed when I realized that wasn't in there. Imagine taking a small HDV camera and a laptop out to film a timelapse sunrise or something... Sure hope that makes it soon!

In the mean time, I can do the same thing with my Canon DSLR and the Canon software, at far bigger than HDV resolution, which is pretty cool

http://twitter.com/carlincomm
    Carlin in Seattle
    Carlin Comm
    BlueStar Productions
    carlincomm.com

Or for DV, you can use the freeware WinDV, it can do time lapse.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

This is retarded....I am sorry how the F%#@ hard is it to code an out point for the capture tool this is unacceptable.....just like having no batch capture and New Tek wonders why their product is not accepted by the professional community.....

Use Something Else

New Tek wonders why their product is not accepted by the professional community

Well then, guess you are not in the professional community, since you use NewTek products.

Please take your NT bashing to Adobe, and let us willing to accept SE1.vergin to continue as one of the best bangs for the buck.

Such a poor attitude to such a small issue. Tons of fixes will evolve when SE is at Rev 5.years, so please move on instead of waisting others time in an attempt to help you.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

Look..... I've been a user of New Tek products since the Video Toaster days. If T5 has this...... how hard is it to port this over? It is just frustrating that the most simplest things aren't taken care....

Event Photo and Video Seattle-HotShot's Avatar
    Hey Eugene, yeah, big fan of WinDV, just wish there was a HDV version of it. I've never found a comparable product that worked. I'd even consider a program that could generate stills of HDV live feed at intervals, haven't found that either. But sorry, none of this really applies to this thread
    Carlin Comm
    BlueStar Productions
    carlincomm.com

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskey3 View Post
    Look..... I've been a user of New Tek products since the Video Toaster days. If T5 has this...... how hard is it to port this over? It is just frustrating that the most simplest things aren't taken care....
    Guess it must be harder than one would imagine since they did not add it to SE capture.
    A love hate thing for me.
    Plenty, IMHO, it should have had when it was released but it did not.
    But yet, I find myself using it.
    All I can suggest is you send your feature request to Newtek.

Crazy that you can record using the tool but can't set an end time for live capture with it as well as a time lapsed capture.
    Even if it can't do batch capture, why doesn't it have a timer?

And do me a favor, don't go complain anywhere else but here, since it's Newteks forum and you want them to hear you (not that you needed me to tell you that).

Kilo,
    You wrote "Is it really that hard to capture 12min".
    Yes it is and I bet you can't do it.
    I know I can't.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

The other way to look at it is does Newtek actually want these features in their stand-alone NLE? Maybe they don't.

After all, that does give a value added to the VT[5], which is without question a much more profitable product than the commodity stand-alone NLE.

Newtek gave the people what they wanted with SpeedEDIT, an unbundled VT-EDIT with HDV support (and a little higher HD). Throw it on your laptop and you can use it when you're away from your VT workstation.

Based on the way it has been developed, it looks to me like Newtek was quite careful not to give it any features that VT doesn't have. It is still limited to the same real-time or nothing that VT is, even when it doesn't need to be.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Timed Recording script for SE

OK. Here is a solution of timed recording for SE. It is not perfect but works. You need to know some basic operations for ToasterScript.

The code is as follow (please saved as TRec.ToasterScript) :

// ========TRec.ToasterScript==================
    // Timed Recording script for SE by Chen Pan, AnimLab @2008
    //
    min=12
    sec=0
    frames=0

Tframes = 29.97*60*min + 29.97*sec + frames +1
    Tstart=0
    Tstop=0

TM=CreateControl(123 124 125 "SkinControl_SubControl_Layers")
    TM:{ AddCallback("Timer",
    code(
    Tnow = int(floor(GetTime()/33.3667))
    if(Tnow > Tstop) Stop()
    ))}

AddMenuItem("%Timed Recording", code(0))
    AddMenuItem(" TimedRecordStart." code(TM:{ StopTimer() Stop() Tstart=int(floor(GetTime()/33.3667)) Tstop=Tstart+Tframes Record() StartTimer(33)}))
    AddMenuItem(" TimedRecordStop. " code(TM:StopTimer() Stop()))
    //====================================

You need to create a "User Scripts" directory under
    C:\Program Files\NewTek\SpeedEDIT\Skins\CapturePanel
    and put the TRec.ToasterScript under it.
    (That will be C:\Program Files\NewTek\SpeedEDIT\Skins\CapturePanel\User Scripts\TRec.ToasterScript.)

You can see the first three lines of script are the target time you want.
    Launch SE, open Capture panel, right click at gray area (under "autochop") of Capture panel and you see two new menu items there:

TimerRecordStart.
    TimerRecordStop.

Select TimerRecordStart will start capture and stop at specific time.
    TimeRecordStop will stop the timer and recording if you want to abort it.

If you need to change the capturing time, you need to close capture panel, edit the script (change value of min, sec and frames variables), save script then relaunch capture panel.

Enjoy it!
    =============
    Chen Pan

[email protected]
    =============

Chen,
    Is it here where I change the time "Tframes = 29.97*60*min + 29.97*sec + frames +1"
    If so, what is the format for example 1 min, 12 sec and frame 23?

This is pretty cool script you wrote and shows that there may be a way to do this with a script.

Thank you and hope you work at it some more,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioProd View Post
    The other way to look at it is does Newtek actually want these features in their stand-alone NLE? Maybe they don't.

After all, that does give a value added to the VT[5], which is without question a much more profitable product than the commodity stand-alone NLE.

Newtek gave the people what they wanted with SpeedEDIT, an unbundled VT-EDIT with HDV support (and a little higher HD). Throw it on your laptop and you can use it when you're away from your VT workstation.

Based on the way it has been developed, it looks to me like Newtek was quite careful not to give it any features that VT doesn't have. It is still limited to the same real-time or nothing that VT is, even when it doesn't need to be.
    Maybe but no one can disagree, that batch capture being added to the capture window, would be a bad thing.
    Also, Newtek markets SE as a NLE.

I speak for myself in asking for features as I use SpeedEdit and need it to do more.
    I don't care how they wanted it to be marketed and only care about how I would like to use it if it had X.
    Because of this reason, I keep complaining for things to be added and fixed.

No offence to you but a lot of older users of VT who waited for SE and then been disappointed in it, have moved on.
    Because of this, again no offence, have been more passive about the way SE works and Netwek these days.
    I want it to do more and I am not satisfied with it.
    Another user takes the stand that to complain about a Newtek product is sacrilege and should never be done.

Sorry for making this thread a complaining thread and taking away from what may be the start of a 3rd party script/plug-in from Chen.
    One that I and many would welcome.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    Chen,
    Is it here where I change the time "Tframes = 29.97*60*min + 29.97*sec + frames +1"
    If so, what is the format for example 1 min, 12 sec and frame 23?

This is pretty cool script you wrote and shows that there may be a way to do this with a script.

Thank you and hope you work at it some more,
    Forget it, I see it now;
    min=1
    sec=12
    frames=23

Thanks again,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook