Thread: Where to get a website started???

Where to get a website started???

I need to make a website showing all I can do for future projects but Im not sure where to go. This is what I want. I need a domain name, slot of space since media files are large. I have dreameaver but it's very complicated for me and I'm not a webdesigner so I would need something laid out for me. Any ideas? I was thinking if going with Apple stuff but I'm not sure. What is your opinion?
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

you could find a nice template and customize it. i believe dream weaver also comes with them.

other than that. you can hire a cheap webdev, also if you get a hosting account from godaddy they will provide you with a site i believe (and take care of your hosting, domain and email). i dont really use their cookie cutter stuff personally though. Most isps offer web design services btw.

Like Stooch said
    http://www.godaddy.com/default.aspx
    http://www.templatemonster.com/

Look around. Good Luck.

Amused
    Many people, myself included, use WordPress as a CMS - Content Management System. It's designed for bloggers, but works great as a CMS. There are hundreds of 'themes' which is a fancy way of saying templates. You can start at http://wordpress.com/ and they will host the site for free as long as you're not selling anything. Limited number of templates here though.

http://wordpress.org/ is where you get the free standalone version of the software that you would use on your own domain. Many host providers will install it for you. I use hostmysite.com as my web host.

Wordpress is still evolving and could be considered high maintenance in terms of keeping up with revisions. Another option is Typepad. They host your site on their servers and maintain the software, for a fee. There are also a lot of templates. If you want to get up and running quickly, Typepad is a good option.

http://www.typepad.com/

I use Dreamweaver to manage the site in terms of uploads and editing some of the XML files I use. Unless you're an extremely quick study you'll spend months building a site in DW from scratch if it's new to you.

The service provider I use is DreamHost. It is a shared service(meaning multiple people use the same server). You can find an ad on my front web page listed in my signature. I have used them for around 3 years now and really like them. They will handle the domain name for you, you just have to pick a unique name. The amount of drive space and bandwidth is quite huge.
    Silk
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wood View Post
    Many people, myself included, use WordPress as a CMS - Content Management System. It's designed for bloggers, but works great as a CMS. There are hundreds of 'themes' which is a fancy way of saying templates. You can start at http://wordpress.com/ and they will host the site for free as long as you're not selling anything. Limited number of templates here though.

http://wordpress.org/ is where you get the free standalone version of the software that you would use on your own domain. Many host providers will install it for you. I use hostmysite.com as my web host.

Wordpress is still evolving and could be considered high maintenance in terms of keeping up with revisions. Another option is Typepad. They host your site on their servers and maintain the software, for a fee. There are also a lot of templates. If you want to get up and running quickly, Typepad is a good option.
    google for free wordpress themes, there's a bunch of them designed specifically for artists and gallery type presentations.

when you find one you like, u/l it to your spanking new space, follow the wordpress instructions on installation, and presto! a website by a non-site developer.
    We are pirates, we are artists...

Blog

We use NetworkSolutions.
    I have very little idea how it all works either, but they handled everything and have some basic templates.
    I've heard great things about godaddy also. They weren't around when I got my website going.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

i use lunar pages. i love their ui and suite of control tools.. performance and uptime is top notch.

i vouch for godaddy too... that's where i get my domains... very cheap.

as for webpages, i haven't even gotten mine started yet but google has a free webspace and webpage designer that you can try... it's super preliminary and not very impressive.

jin

outsource a web dev, thats the cheapest way to get things going. when your site is up and running, you could study the codes and learn from there. Make sure you use CSS so that your site will be SEO friendly.
    Buy or Sell 3D models

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    Just like Wordpress there are other free content management systems available with varying degrees of complexity. My current site uses CMS-made simple but I'm working on a new one currently using Joomla. Joomla is probably the most common CMS and is available to install direclty with most decent web hosts.

There are a number of advantages to CMS based sites including the ability to change the 'theme' of the site including menu positions, colours, images, fonts etc. whilst keeping all pages and content intact at the click of a button. It is even possible to have the user change the theme to their own taste easily. They also rank much higher than traditional HTML sites because of their dynamic nature especially if you regularly update or add content. Another advantage is the vast amount of 'modules' that can be integrated, from simple mail forms to flash galleries that automatically create a gallery from a folder and generate thumbnails...that's a real timesaver!

Although CMS based websites can be quite confusing to set up initially, learning about style sheets, databases, PHP, themes and articles, they are a dream to maintain and update. As an example, I built a site for my girlfriend's driving school and she updates the pages almost daily despite being computer illiterate. Pages are edited online so there's no issues with FTP and it's as simple as using a word processor.

I'd highly recommend finding a webdev that can build a CMS based site, you'll wonder how you ever managed with just HTML and FTP.

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    Another lunar pages lover here.....

If you need more space, you are well on your way to independent wealth.

Uptime is good. Service is good. Includes domain. Includes lots of tools to help out.

For a gallery of your work, www.jalbum.net - it doesn't get much easier, and includes features like watermarking and the ability to sell images (might even be able to sell other files, now that I think about it....never tried that) with a direct paypal interface. Also, can create a direct interface to shutterfly or flicker--and it is free.

For the web page, it isn't difficult. Use a WYSIWYG designer if you can't afford a real web developer or take the time to learn HTML. Probably more important to have a professional looking site than to save a few bucks though.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

Well I got my webpage provider now from lunarpages and I'm very satisfied and glad to finally have a site. I'm using Dreamweacr which has a high learning curve but hey nothing is easy in this world if it's going to be high quality. The good thing is that I have a pretty good eye for colour, balance and not iced complicating things. The site will be up In a week and the name of my site is www.tranglemedia.com. I'm very excited an now I can be as cool as evryone here on the forum! LOL
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

Dreamhost are good, I've been with them for almost ten years. You get a free dot.com domain when you signup for a year. They also have one-click install system for WordPress or ZenGallery and you can download a tonne of free themes for this or create your own

http://themetation.com/2008/07/14/ho...cratch-part-1/