Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great White Shark

Excellent work!

Looking very nice.

I like the volumetric light but the water surface lookis kind of strange. Is it raining?

My wife and I are planning a Great White dive expedition for our 10th anniversary

we are fascinated by them. Incredible creature.

Nice job so far.
    -angel

Back you robots! Nobody ruins my family vacation but me!

Lookin' Good! That list of rules left out don't swim with seals or sealions (a great whites favorite food) and we learned here in CA recently why. Just yesterday white sharks were seen in in-shore waters at San Onofre just up the coast from me. I'll go see if I can get some good close-ups for ya. NOT!
    I posted my dolphin in the finished gallery. I don't want him getting to close to your white. She looks Hungry
    64 bit Win 7 Enterprise
    Dual Intel(R) Xeon Quad Core 2.93GHz
    RAM 24.0 GB
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 5800
    Driver Version 259.81

Thanks Facial. Your shark is pretty freaky too.

Riki:
    Actually my wife has already nicknamed him "Herman." She also named the raptor I did a while back "Skippy."

Lasco:
    Hehe. There seems to be a lot of proportion variance between one shark and the next. Thanks anyway. I can't believe that "At the beach, don't use fish oil as sunscreen" didn't make the list.

Mattclary:
    Thank you.

HRGiger:
    Yes, it's raining. (I agree. I'll work on it)

Anieves:
    Super cool. Are you going to Cape Town, South Africa by chance? I ran across this outfitter in my search of ref images a while back:
    http://www.unrealdive.com/
    I would have a blast... that is, until the White's come... then I believe I would soil myself. Anyway, that sounds like an incredible experience. I hope you and your wife have a great time. Happy Anniversary.

Hunter:
    Wow! That's close. I hope they don't make their way up the Tennessee river. Thanks for posting your dolphin. It looks great.

-Rob

Another small update...

I UV mapped and painted the insides of the gills tonight.

If anyone's interested, here's what the color map looks like so far. Also a quick render of the gills. More to come....

-Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

I assume those are the gills in the bottom right hand corner of your UV. How do you get them to blend with the rest of the body?

Looks really cool.

hey

dude, that is really awesome, i swear to god that render you made was equivalent to the work done by the pros reminded me of the finding nemo thing. Unless of course, you really are a pro..

hrgiger:
    Yes, those are the gills. I was just careful selecting the same colors on the poly edges of the gills so they match up with the body. -That plus a little trial and error. I suppose using alpha channels to blend them would work too. You'd have to have overlapping UV maps though.

Xeen:
    Thanks a bunch. I do this stuff just for fun currently. Maybe some day that will change. I don't agree that it's up to pro-level yet, but that's definately what I'm hoping for in the end. Thanks again.

-Rob

HA! Herman! That had me laughing. I remember the "skippy" name because you put the little doggy bowl with the name skippy on it.

That's where that came from...

Your texturing work always amazes me. I also like the way you show your progress, although a little amazing.

Your are like those tutorials where they say, "a little more tweaks and you end up with this." And there next pic looks like something out of a photograph, and you're thinking "YEAH! A few more tweaks my a#@. I don't see anything else you need to do to him than animate.

As always, amazing work!

marvin

it's looking great
    PORTFOLIO
    Lightwave Animator

Marvin:
    Thanks so much. Just a few more tweaks and I'll be done.

jOSH:
    Thanks.

Jack:
    Thank you. The water I have is just temporary. I plan to animate it later, so I'll have to build it differently. I'll probably use the same technique as in the famous "Stormy Ocean Tutorial" over at www.simplylightwave.com. Right now though, my water is just a simple subdivided plane with jiggle applied to the Y axis. I have 2 simple procedurals as bump maps and I'm also using an environment map. I'm using a gradient I made in Photoshop as a background and have fog turned on using that image. I have a spotlight overhead projecting a shadow map and Volumetrics turned on using the same shadow map.

-------------------------------

Okay, I've started an Endomorph for the mouth. Here's what I have so far.

Here's a quick anim:
    222k DivX AVI

-Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, I hate to not have some criticism for you Rob but it looks really great. I love the wrinkles around the mouth when he opens up.

The winkles do look nice. Are the gums too dark?

Animation.... PLEASE!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast