Thread: Edge Highlighting

Edge Highlighting

Is there a simple automated way to highlight edges in Lightwave 8.5?

Right now, I would have to draw curves from point to point on a layer connecting all the points of a model to get a edge. This is a very tedious task. The trick is that is has to be in the model, not just at the point of rendering.

For example, if I am modeling a bookshelf, I would have to one by one choose pairs of points the make an open curve.

Any ideas or suggestions would really make my life easier.
    :lwicon: [B]Adam A. Dailide[/B]
    [email][email protected][/email]
    [url]www.studio-render.com[/url]

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    You want to create 2-point polys for all polygon edges?

Is extender in 8.5, I can't remember? One way is to select all points, hit 'e' for extender, drag the points away from the model and hit delete. It will create 2-point polys.

Can I ask why you need curves or edges in the model itself? It might help with an alternative solution.

The company I am working with needs furniture models in LWO format. They then bring those models into their system, which is not Lightwave. So the lines/edges need to be modeled.

That is how their system was set-up with the previous modeler, and I am dealing with that now, but I am trying to make it more streamlined on my end, seeing that I will be doing a lot of furniture models.

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    That sounds...um....painful!

So are they converting the curves into Nurbs surfaces or something? It seems odd that they need curves in a LWO for another piece of software. Do you know what their 'system' is and whether there is possibly a better solution?

I think the software they used is a custom set-up that is based around LWO files that they used 4 years ago.

The original models are modeled in CAD then imported into lightwave. So then they have the pieces of the model as polygons and points. Those points are then connected to create the "edges" which they use to make the model stand out better when rendered in their program.

It all seems overly complicated, but I have to work within their set-up. I am just trying to find a way to make that simpler.